Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Deathlist 2023

27 minutes ago, muzzyisalegend said:

James Herbert for me. Loved his work, was gutted I'll never be able to read a new novel by him

I was very upset when I read he died, I had no idea he was ill, but outside of his novels not sure I ever knew much about him. Moon, the magic cottage and once were a few of my very favs of his. Very unique writing style and sometimes so shockingly graphic, right up my street. 

I agree that the loss of an "idol" or super-talent is upsetting at the time of their passing but for me, the outpouring of grief from those that had no personal relationship with them is a bit OTT. I agree that one should be able to express sadness at the demise of a high profile and renowned individual but, to express such overtly emotional feelings for a complete stranger makes me feel... I don't know the descriptor... but a bit uncomfortable.

This topic is full of it. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Parafox said:

I agree that the loss of an "idol" or super-talent is upsetting at the time of their passing but for me, the outpouring of grief from those that had no personal relationship with them is a bit OTT. I agree that one should be able to express sadness at the demise of a high profile and renowned individual but, to express such overtly emotional feelings for a complete stranger makes me feel... I don't know the descriptor... but a bit uncomfortable.

This topic is full of it. 

This is a good point, music artists especially,  the only connection is the music, and the music is still there, sadness at passing yes, grief?  No.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

For the generation I grew up in and for all the music I listen to, Linkin Park's Chester Bennington for sure. That hit hard. 

Before that, probably Michael Jackson. I was so touched :ph34r:

Chester Bennington was devastating. Poor bloke.

You can put Lemmy in there too but given the lifestyle he led it wasn't exactly surprising.

14 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I was very upset when I read he died, I had no idea he was ill, but outside of his novels not sure I ever knew much about him. Moon, the magic cottage and once were a few of my very favs of his. Very unique writing style and sometimes so shockingly graphic, right up my street. 

Same here love the flow of his novels. Personally Haunted and Ash are up there as my favourites, but love all his stuff, he inspired my own writing style I have to say. 

On 26/07/2023 at 22:20, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

He was a fine writer, The Rats was the first horror novel I ever read. Surprised they have not made more films from his books.

6 hours ago, Torquay Gunner said:

He was a fine writer, The Rats was the first horror novel I ever read. Surprised they have not made more films from his books.

That book scared the crap out of me, I hope you read the following books Lair and Domain to complete the trilogy. 

On 27/07/2023 at 08:05, joachim1965 said:

This is a good point, music artists especially,  the only connection is the music, and the music is still there, sadness at passing yes, grief?  No.

I generally agree with what Para has said in terms of things being OTT and there is certainly a subset of people (in general, not ft specifically) who get performatively upset.

That said, I got into Mac Miller after he died and his music has helped me in terms of my mental health. His last live recorded performance on the NPR Tiny Desk series is particularly poignant and emotional and it makes me sad sometimes when I watch it and think about how such a talented young man who wrote so beautifully died so young. A lot of his most recent stuff really speaks to me. I wouldn't call it grief but I think you can mourn the loss of people who you don't know.

I'm sure plenty of people can speak to musicians who they really felt connected to for whatever reason. And I think the bigger picture, whether it be an actor, a musician or even a sportsperson, is not necessarily even about the person. It is the feelings and the memories that that person helped create. It is a sense of connection.

• Like 1