Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Restaurants Service Charges & Tips.

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

Noticed more and more places are putting discretionary service charge and service charges on at restaurants. Where do people stand with these and tips? 

Personally I'd prefer to tip the waiter rather than paying service charges... also for anyone in the industry of working in restaurants, do you actually see any service charge money and how is it distributed among workers?

I don't pay tips. I believe in clear pricing.

6 hours ago, MPH said:

not sure what you mean by this… no service charge added at any restaurant over here  that I have been to and Tips are somewhat expected IF they do a good job..

3 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Have anyone ever had a bad experience after declining service charge?

Yes. In America. First restaurant we visited in Miami had a service charge added to the bill. I requested it was removed and the waitress kicked off. Politely advised I'd decide if I would leave a tip, not them. 

I don't recall visiting any American restaurants and the bill not having a service charge included. 

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Yes. In America. First restaurant we visited in Miami had a service charge added to the bill. I requested it was removed and the waitress kicked off. Politely advised I'd decide if I would leave a tip, not them. 

I don't recall visiting any American restaurants and the bill not having a service charge included. 

I live in North Carolina and the only time I have seen a service charge added has been for a large group of people booking together- like a work party. Never me , wife and kids.

14 hours ago, MPH said:

That’s partly because waiters and waitresses are  exempt from minimum wage laws. They’ll often get $2-$2.50 an hr basic wage and that HAS to be made up by the customer. Cheaper costs for employers mean cheaper meals for customers but waiter MUST give good service and he gets a good tip. It ends up being a very good wage at the end of the night, actually. 

not saying I like the system, just explaining how it works.

I think you’re misunderstanding me. I know how it works in America. I’m saying that we’re not in America (where tips are expected because they don’t pay staff properly) and so I’m not agreeing to a service charge in a restaurant. I’ll leave a tip, in cash, to a waiter who is good though. 

17 hours ago, MPH said:

not sure what you mean by this… no service charge added at any restaurant over here  that I have been to and Tips are somewhat expected IF they do a good job..

That must have changed since I worked in DC, service charges were bloody everywhere and then they expected tips on top. Absolutely scumbags. Pleased to see that has changed tho as SC + tip is disgraceful business practice

10 hours ago, The Blur said:

Have anyone ever had a bad experience after declining service charge?

Yeah…. A really bizarre situation in Hamburg…. I was using my company credit card and the waitress became quite aggressive about the need to leave a tip to support the staff and the kitchen…. Really weird and embarrassing 

I most certainly didn’t leave a tip though…

most waiters look embarrassed when you have to accept or decline tips on the card machine…. I’ve even some deliberately skip past that step to save embarrassment 

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

I think you’re misunderstanding me. I know how it works in America. I’m saying that we’re not in America (where tips are expected because they don’t pay staff properly) and so I’m not agreeing to a service charge in a restaurant. I’ll leave a tip, in cash, to a waiter who is good though. 

I thought you were saying that a service charge was automatically added in America and I was just explaining that it wasn’t- apologies if i misunderstood you. 

it appears by a few responses that some places do add a service charge - the touristy/ buisness areas maybe..

I'll always pay the service charge. Too much of a wuss to ask it to be taken off. Life is awkward enough as it is. 

Wait staff don't get tips if it's included mind... And unless it's exceptionally bad service, they always get a tip.

I've been a waiter. It's wank. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

It’s down to contactless being the most popular way to pay.

I don’t like it, but I’d imagine restaurants among many other industries will have lost out a lot due to cash no longer being the go-to. 

Exactly…. I don’t carry cash at all…. Most people I know don’t