Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Ao Tanaka

57 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

It's where we are isn't it, and certainly for me, it's still taking some time to get my head round.

That I see run of the mill players being linked with run of the mill premier teams, that I wouldn't even want if we were still in the premier league, and yet those players wouldn't even give us a second glance themselves, now that we are in the championship.

Giles who went to Luton, who we may have been in for is an example.

All of a sudden, after what have been golden times for us as supporters, and the club itself, we are now not even as attractive as a move to Luton.

I still find myself feeling angry at primarily the people running the club, who through their complacency, and their, "oh we will be OK attitude", have thrown away the best chance this club ever had of being one of the top 10 clubs in the country for years to come.

That now, we have to start all over again, and may never be able to reach those levels again.

That, even if/when we get promoted again, we will be back at the bottom of the ladder, trying to scrape to at least 4 rungs up to not be relegated again.

All this, because of the incompetence of the people running the club, who thought we could stand still, and take a season off.

People that even now, one week from the start of the new season, are showing no signs of having to take any accountability for the shite show of last season, that in the main falls at their feet!

Funny but before I responded in this post, i thought I had moved on, put last season behind me, onwards and upwards and all that!

Clearly I haven't, and that anger and disappointment with those running the club, those that threw away the greatest of opportunities, and put our club back in the championship, due to their incompetence, is still running deep inside of me.

Up the City! :scarf:

I share your thoughts. Whilst we did very successfully recruit certain other clubs unwanted players or known players at times like Albrighton, Simpson, Morgan, Huth and Maguire, there were also the more inspirational out of the blue one's that were cleverly scouted like Knockaert (albeit limited, a bit of flare that we hadn't had for a long time), Vardy, Marhez, James, Drinkwater, Fuchs, Schmeichel, Iheanacho and Pereira.

There were, as to be expected like at any club, the odd duds, but largely they seemed well selected known players for a specific role or knowledgeably scouted up and comings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I share your thoughts. Whilst we did very successfully recruit certain other clubs unwanted players or known players at times like Albrighton, Simpson, Morgan, Huth and Maguire, there were also the more inspirational out of the blue one's that were cleverly scouted like Knockaert (albeit limited, a bit of flare that we hadn't had for a long time), Vardy, Marhez, James, Drinkwater, Fuchs, Schmeichel, Iheanacho and Pereira.

There were, as to be expected like at any club, the odd duds, but largely they seemed well selected known players for a specific role or knowledgeably scouted up and comings.

Yes but once the approach was proven viable it was always unlikely it would not be duplicated and perhaps even improved upon

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes but once the approach was proven viable it was always unlikely it would not be duplicated and perhaps even improved upon

Have not Brighton adopted a very similar enlightened and thus far successful approach though, they seem to be able to find some hidden gems instead of fishing in the same old stagnant pools. From the outside, they seem to be the epitome of a well run club, they even seem to have managerial succession plans too.

Perhaps too early to judge Martyn Glover but I wonder what it was in his past that attracted them to him? It certainly doesn't seem obvious. Likewise Congerton, the only things in his past seemed to be huge warning signs and reasons not to employ him. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Have not Brighton adopted a very similar enlightened and thus far successful approach though, they seem to be able to find some hidden gems instead of fishing in the same old stagnant pools. From the outside, they seem to be the epitome of a well run club, they even seem to have managerial succession plans too.

Perhaps too early to judge Martyn Glover but I wonder what it was in his past that attracted them to him? It certainly doesn't seem obvious. Likewise Congerton, the only things in his past seemed to be huge warning signs and reasons not to employ him. 

Absolutely, they have taken it and run with it to some success thus far. Part of me feels we got our great success and rested on our laurels which although to some degree is understandable, we now reap the reward of this hubris both in terms of the league we find ourselves in and our narrow transfer scouting it seems. Bit sad really. 

Of course, we have yet to see how Brighton cope with repeated poaching of their important players, and I don't mean Caicedo, as those rebuttals is just picking up speed it seems.

• Like 1

We've stopped signing players, I might be wrong but we must be way down the pecking order on the number of transfers in recent years. Even now, when we've dropped a league and need a huge rebuild its like watching your Nan eat a banana, it's unpleasant and hard work. 

Brighton will regularly sign players ranging from £1-5m and take punts, but you need a degree of financial flexibility to do so and we fcuked ourselves pushing wages to the max for our 1st team players instead.

I'd much rather see us start to make such signings now, but we seem to still be trying to recruit the players we'd have gone for in the PL which has not gone well in recent years. I love players with huge potential but no guarantee they'll get there without timing, circumstance and coaching. Probably no more of a gamble than the perceived higher calibre and/or experienced player we've gone for.

• Like 4

Just now, Ric Flair said:

We've stopped signing players, I might be wrong but we must be way down the pecking order on the number of transfers in recent years. Even now, when we've dropped a league and need a huge rebuild its like watching your Nan eat a banana, it's unpleasant and hard work. 

Brighton will regularly sign players ranging from £1-5m and take punts, but you need a degree of financial flexibility to do so and we fcuked ourselves pushing wages to the max for our 1st team players instead.

I'd much rather see us start to make such signings now, but we seem to still be trying to recruit the players we'd have gone for in the PL which has not gone well in recent years. I love players with huge potential but no guarantee they'll get there without timing, circumstance and coaching. Probably no more of a gamble than the perceived higher calibre and/or experienced player we've gone for.

I agree, but there also needs to be a careful expectation for this rebuild as not only do we need to shift numbers out, we are still also carrying a lot of these high earners (even factored for relegation, 30-50% of a lot is still a lot for a club in the Championship who have been so fiscally irresponsible for a while). Its a mess, we have a gone from a lesson on how to run a club, to a lesson on how not to, post success.

I fear Enzo will be this rebuilds Puel in that he will do plenty of dirty work but be driven out before completing the task or over inflated expectations. (Not that Puel did not deserve to do)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Absolutely, they have taken it and run with it to some success thus far. Part of me feels we got our great success and rested on our laurels which although to some degree is understandable, we now reap the reward of this hubris both in terms of the league we find ourselves in and our narrow transfer scouting it seems. Bit sad really. 

Of course, we have yet to see how Brighton cope with repeated poaching of their important players, and I don't mean Caicedo, as those rebuttals is just picking up speed it seems.

Yes, agree with all that. I think, partly understandably, they put a lot of faith in Rodgers judgment in a number of areas of the club. I say partly understandably because he's a very convincing individual, just look at the media following he had. They got bitten badly. It's very sad really. I suppose if you have a model like Brighton, the lesson is that you stick to what you're doing and don't let any manager fully take the initiative. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...