Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

28 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I don’t think Maresca is going to ape Man City’s current system. It’s taken the best manager in the world (ever in my option) years to stumble upon this system with an hugely expensive squad. An ersatz Leicester City version is far too risky.

My concern is we’re shaping up like we’re playing 5 atb currently. Coady’s signing and the lack of winger links seems to suggest it.

Not concerned if it is well coached and implemented, with the right players.  

I think we are all a little burnt by Rodger's version 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This is a very good point. It's going to become tiresome referring to anything Pep has done when we talk about Maresca, but look at that 1st season at Man City. They were mingin' at times trying to play the exact way Pep demanded.

We have to be dedicated to the project and instructions but Maresca himself has to be the mastermind to assessing what he has and what he doesn't have. If he cannot get every cog to the wheel to play the football he is a purveyor of, then he will need to be patient and shrewd. 

I personally think he'll sort the defence much quicker than we think. I also think that for all the negativity I've brought on Winks, his style of play and energy will improve our ability to protect the defence when out of possession. We seemed to never be in position both when attacking or defending and were carved open. That has to and will change. 

Harry Souttar will be a complete weapon under Maresca too. His passing ability, aerial ability and positional play will be next level.

Our structure and work rate were dreadful. We had holes everywhere. 

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not concerned if it is well coached and implemented, with the right players.  

I think we are all a little burnt by Rodger's version 

I agree but it's extremely likely we're going to have 60%+ possession most of the time. Having 3 CBs (admittedly it could be Justin or Kristiansen) means we'll have a numerical advantage much deeper than we ought to. Particularly if we're up against a lot of lone strikers.

Wolves and Sheffield United are the only automatically promoted sides I can remember playing 5XX over the past decade. Wolves got 99 points but considering how strong the squad was (Jota, Saiss, Boly, Neves etc) it wasn't a great indictment of the system. The best promoted sides tend to play 433/4231.

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I agree but it's extremely likely we're going to have 60%+ possession most of the time. Having 3 CBs (admittedly it could be Justin or Kristiansen) means we'll have a numerical advantage much deeper than we ought to. Particularly if we're up against a lot of lone strikers.

Wolves and Sheffield United are the only automatically promoted sides I can remember playing 5XX over the past decade. Wolves got 99 points but considering how strong the squad was (Jota, Saiss, Boly, Neves etc) it wasn't a great indictment of the system. The best promoted sides tend to play 433/4231.

Depend a lot on whether you play traditional fullbacks in the wide areas or attacking players.

I think it going to be very interesting. 

Whatever happens, I just want us to look well coached and like a team that spends time on the training ground rather than 11 individuals. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fox on the Rox said:

Nelson, although two-footed, has been played as LCB more often than RCB both in the u21s and on loan.

He's with the first team today LCFC.com

Tanner did say that Maresca has a decision to make regarding the 4th centre back to sign someone new or promote Nelson into the first team. So personally not surprised by this.

How are you going to play?

“To have the ball. When they were learning the game, they were looking for a ball to play with. So we will try to have the ball as much as possible. They enjoy having the ball, not running after the opponent. We have to adapt. Leicester is different in the Championship to Premier League. Every team wants to take points off us, because we are Leicester, because we are for them, the most important team in the Championship. I saw this with Man City. Every team wants to get points against them. We have to be ready for that.”

On 02/07/2023 at 19:45, Ric Flair said:

Did Faes play LCB when we played 3 at the back? We badly need a left footed CB, needed one for years and seemingly haven't bothered.

Signing Callum Doyle will certainly solve the left centre back problem

Does look like we may have an issue with right centre back though based on recent history for our players...

This is what position in a back 3 they have played when starting a game in the period specified

Tagged JJ onto the end as we know he has played as a right centre back in a 3 for us before

Should just try and sell Faes and put the fee towards an actual right centre back

Who When   RCB CB LCB
Conor Coady Wolves 21/22 + Everton 22/23   0 46 0
Harry Souttar Stoke 2021 + 2022   4 26 0
Wout Faes Reims 21/22   0 26 0
Ben Nelson Doncaster 22/23   0 7 7
Callum Doyle Coventry 22/23   7 11 24

James Justin Since Joining   6 0 1
Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... those were not issues when he started!!!

Injuries have not helped, as it has become a stop-start experience since he came in and we have had him in various positions when he has been available. Castagne was having issues with not knowing who was over his shoulder and the team as a whole was suffering with Castagne stating that, the players at times did not understand what had been asked of them.

Let's see how he progresses in the right (RWB) position and judge him 10 games into the campaign.

He had plenty of issues at the start - people just seem to have forgotten this or overlook it - at the end of the day he stepped up from, what, league 1? - of course, he had issues...

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This is a very good point. It's going to become tiresome referring to anything Pep has done when we talk about Maresca, but look at that 1st season at Man City. They were mingin' at times trying to play the exact way Pep demanded.

We have to be dedicated to the project and instructions but Maresca himself has to be the mastermind to assessing what he has and what he doesn't have. If he cannot get every cog to the wheel to play the football he is a purveyor of, then he will need to be patient and shrewd. 

I personally think he'll sort the defence much quicker than we think. I also think that for all the negativity I've brought on Winks, his style of play and energy will improve our ability to protect the defence when out of possession. We seemed to never be in position both when attacking or defending and were carved open. That has to and will change. 

Harry Souttar will be a complete weapon under Maresca too. His passing ability, aerial ability and positional play will be next level.

He's also likely to be a far more reliable out-ball for the keeper and defenders than ndidi, soumari, youri et al.  which should help cut down some of those unforced errors.

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

He's also likely to be a far more reliable out-ball for the keeper and defenders than ndidi, soumari, youri et al.  which should help cut down some of those unforced errors.

Really hope Braybrooke overcomes his ACL. He is perfect for such a role too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

I think that's the plan (to have 60+%) - i'd like to think with winks and KDH we should be able to recycle the ball far better than most EFL sides can close it down or win it back.....

34 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Signing Callum Doyle will certainly solve the left centre back problem

Does look like we may have an issue with right centre back though based on recent history for our players...

This is what position in a back 3 they have played when starting a game in the period specified

Tagged JJ onto the end as we know he has played as a right centre back in a 3 for us before

Should just try and sell Faes and put the fee towards an actual right centre back

Who When   RCB CB LCB
Conor Coady Wolves 21/22 + Everton 22/23   0 46 0
Harry Souttar Stoke 2021 + 2022   4 26 0
Wout Faes Reims 21/22   0 26 0
Ben Nelson Doncaster 22/23   0 7 7
Callum Doyle Coventry 22/23   7 11 24

James Justin Since Joining   6 0 1

I'm not sure how reliable that is - i know that whoscored.com sometimes don't specify LCB/RCB and just class it as CB - but it probably gives a pretty fair picture.

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I'm not sure how reliable that is - i know that whoscored.com sometimes don't specify LCB/RCB and just class it as CB - but it probably gives a pretty fair picture.

I used Sofascore and went through each players matches played during the periods specified, looked into the formation being played in each of those matches and also the heat maps for the player in each of those matches as well which gave a pretty clear idea of which area they were playing when in a 3

I would say what I have detailed is pretty accurate

Edited by moore_94
  • Thanks 1

Not tactic related. Just an observation I made and wondered if I was alone.

I watched Enzo’s full 22 minute press conference earlier on the OS and he didn’t come across great I didn’t think. He seems a bit miserable and unhappy with being questioned. Not sure if it’s just me or anyone else agrees?

I have made allowances for the language barrier but I still felt that from him..

Edited by Jakemoore

3 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

I watched Enzo’s full 22 minute press conference earlier on the OS and he didn’t come across great I didn’t think. He seems a bit miserable and unhappy with being questioned. Not sure if it’s just me or anyone else agrees?

I have made allowances for the language barrier but I still felt that from him..

I don't think we'll get chapter and verse in to his method of thinking like we did with Brendan when the good times were here. There's something about Maresca I like though, it's a fire or aura that I think in the short to medium future will be very welcome.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

I thought he came across really well personally.  Bit of an edge to him which makes a refreshing change from the previous incumbent.  

And let's face it some of the questions were pretty bloody stupid (and repetitive).  Why did you want to come to Leicester?  Followed shortly after with 'what excited you about joining Leicester'? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

do we expect a pep style heavy rotation each game? i’m not against it if the squads strong which i’m guessing it should be 

I don't think we will initially. Both Pep and Sarri when he was over here stuck with a core group of players initially to build up the connections between them, and then add to those players over time. But I suppose it depends on how the players do. If they get the style quickly, then he probably will do just to keep players fresh.

One thing to note, Pep generally uses quite a small squad, about 18 core players. He's gone on record saying that means the players know they will get lots of games and don't feel frustrated when they don't play for a while. Obviously, it helps when you can take off Haaland and put World Cup winner Julian Alvarez on in his place!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakemoore said:

Couldn’t disagree anymore. Some of the questions were out right shit and secondly he’s making it known he will take no shit but at the same time laughed and smiled. Best of both worlds. 

You can tell he's no nonsense and he has that will to win.  He will not take being second best well and I doubt he will accept that.  He keeps mentioning it, but the mental state the players are in is the most important part of what he's putting together right now.  Everything after that will fall into place.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1