Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

If Faes stays, and with only one year at the club I'd be surprised if he didn't, I'd expect him to start in a back 3 with Maresca. I know some have questions about his defensive capabilities, but for the most part he was solid, and his ability to pick a pass is being massively underrated. 

When he played he tended to start most of our attacks, and was not afraid to go forward with the ball. I think he'd be considered a key player of a Pep-style strategy.

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

Will Maresca's "assumed" style of play work in the championship?

Need a lot of players suited to that style and you won't find many willing to play in the championship.

He seemed to have no issues implementing that strategy with a group of kids and Kompany did it last year with Burnley. 

It can 100% work. 

1 hour ago, Verumex said:

If Faes stays, and with only one year at the club I'd be surprised if he didn't, I'd expect him to start in a back 3 with Maresca. I know some have questions about his defensive capabilities, but for the most part he was solid, and his ability to pick a pass is being massively underrated. 

When he played he tended to start most of our attacks, and was not afraid to go forward with the ball. I think he'd be considered a key player of a Pep-style strategy.

This is why I've advocated that we play him in midfield. He'd give us a bit of the steel we need in there while also extremely comfortable on the Ball. As you say a good passer of the Ball also. It could be a masterstroke similar to Pep moving Stones into midfield.

We struggled to win the Ball further up the field all last season, Which ultimately cost us.

Would be cool is Nelson impresses during pre season and Maresca rates he can come in and have a break through season. Contrary to popular belief at Leicester, you don't have to be mid 20s before you can break into the first team.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Would be cool is Nelson impresses during pre season and Maresca rates he can come in and have a break through season. Contrary to popular belief at Leicester, you don't have to be mid 20s before you can break into the first team.

Yes, I'm very interested to see what Maresca's makes of Nelson, Wormleighton, Richards, Maswanhise and Wanya Marca. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

More likely with us in the Championship.

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Harry Souttar will really prosper under Maresca if he plays the style of football I think he will. 

I agree, but it's also why Coady's signing puzzles me - seems to me that Souttar is most suited to the central role in the back three, where he was shining in the world cup.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Verumex said:

He certainly seems the most likely to play a more advanced Stones type role...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Did Faes play LCB when we played 3 at the back? We badly need a left footed CB, needed one for years and seemingly haven't bothered.

once, in a draw  - castagne/souttar/evans/faes/ thomas,  ndidi/youri/bouba. nacho/vards 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, I'm very interested to see what Maresca's makes of Nelson, Wormleighton, Richards, Maswanhise and Wanya Marca. 

Same here. Never got a look-in with Rodgers, and maybe none of them will make the step up, but you never know till you try.  At least Maresca will have the pre-season to see and assess them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Verumex said:

Whilst I agree, Faes did my head in last year constantly ****ing moaning at other players.

Wouldn’t have helped either Thomas or Kristensen being young lads, with him constantly moaning at them when they made a mistake.

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

I think JJ is one of the most overrated players in the squad - as you say his defensive positioning is questionable - i remember a phase when we were regularly conceding goals from balls that went right over his head.

As an attacking force, i feel like an energetic start to his career here and a worldy have led people to remember him as being decent going forward - but his last stint in the team (he actually seemed betted defensively), going forward, he had no idea where to go or what to do - and his end product (a goal every 2000 minutes, an assist every 3000 minutes) is almost non-existent.

That said, I'm not yet convinced by thomas, though, to his credit, he seems to have a natural understanding with KDH and Barnes...

... those were not issues when he started!!!

Injuries have not helped, as it has become a stop-start experience since he came in and we have had him in various positions when he has been available. Castagne was having issues with not knowing who was over his shoulder and the team as a whole was suffering with Castagne stating that, the players at times did not understand what had been asked of them.

Let's see how he progresses in the right (RWB) position and judge him 10 games into the campaign.

Hope Enzo is understanding enough to realise what a bombscare our defence and midfield were last season trying to play out and not fall in to the Sousa trap of trying to get players with average ability trying to play like supreme top level stars. 

3 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Hope Enzo is understanding enough to realise what a bombscare our defence and midfield were last season trying to play out and not fall in to the Sousa trap of trying to get players with average ability trying to play like supreme top level stars. 

This is a very good point. It's going to become tiresome referring to anything Pep has done when we talk about Maresca, but look at that 1st season at Man City. They were mingin' at times trying to play the exact way Pep demanded.

We have to be dedicated to the project and instructions but Maresca himself has to be the mastermind to assessing what he has and what he doesn't have. If he cannot get every cog to the wheel to play the football he is a purveyor of, then he will need to be patient and shrewd. 

I personally think he'll sort the defence much quicker than we think. I also think that for all the negativity I've brought on Winks, his style of play and energy will improve our ability to protect the defence when out of possession. We seemed to never be in position both when attacking or defending and were carved open. That has to and will change. 

Harry Souttar will be a complete weapon under Maresca too. His passing ability, aerial ability and positional play will be next level.

• Like 1

They have made a decent start (in terms of reshaping the first XI) and pretty sure there will be further additions to strengthen the defence and midfield. 

Not sure if they will use Ndidi / Hamza to sweep in front the defence or we will get someone new in at 6 with better passing attributes. We have got the box to box midfielder position covered but,I think we are lacking someone to pick the killer pass.

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Did Faes play LCB when we played 3 at the back? We badly need a left footed CB, needed one for years and seemingly haven't bothered.

I actually think Kristiansen has the profile to be very good as the LCB in a back 3. 

Doesn’t seem dynamic enough going forward to be a wing back but is solid defensively, a decent size and good enough on the ball to push forward and create those overloads 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, escape2victory said:

I actually think Kristiansen has the profile to be very good as the LCB in a back 3. 

Doesn’t seem dynamic enough going forward to be a wing back but is solid defensively, a decent size and good enough on the ball to push forward and create those overloads 

Yes, I've had the same thoughts. Ryan Sessegnon at LWB and that would be some combo.

2 hours ago, escape2victory said:

I agree about Kristiansen, I mentioned this in an earlier post. Could definitely, with a bit of coaching, play the Ake role.

I don’t think Maresca is going to ape Man City’s current system. It’s taken the best manager in the world (ever in my option) years to stumble upon this system with an hugely expensive squad. An ersatz Leicester City version is far too risky.

My concern is we’re shaping up like we’re playing 5 atb currently. Coady’s signing and the lack of winger links seems to suggest it.