Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

1 hour ago, happy85 said:

So he can get to know his players quicker and immediately focus on the work to be done, he has them all staying in the hotel at Seagrave as they train twice a day. That may upset a few players — although they would usually go abroad for a training camp. But with the season kicking off earlier than Leicester expected after relegation to the Championship, Maresca seems to be a man on a mission.

Where’s this from? 

9 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

Not tactic related. Just an observation I made and wondered if I was alone.

I watched Enzo’s full 22 minute press conference earlier on the OS and he didn’t come across great I didn’t think. He seems a bit miserable and unhappy with being questioned. Not sure if it’s just me or anyone else agrees?

I have made allowances for the language barrier but I still felt that from him..

In an interview with BBC Leicester yesterday, Guilliam Balagué, a journalist who knows Enzo personally, said that his general personality is of someone who finds it very difficult to stop talking about subjects he's passionate about, and commented that in the press conference he did seem very reserved and controlled.

He believed that Enzo was specifically trying to watch what he said, and not say too much on any topic this early. He knows that the wrong word this early on could have unintended consequences in both the press and the squad. He also said that speaking in a second language would be a big factor too.

So it wasn't just you, he was a bit uncomfortable during the press conference, but not for any of the reasons you believed. 

Edited by Verumex
  • Like 4

His major challenges will be to educate players to stop giving the ball back to the opposition at every available opportunity and put an end to Stowell Ball  where our keepers continually kick the ball into touch or even worse just hoof it forward and passing possession straight back to the opposition.  This is why I think he will change the Keeper, although I hope Iversen will receive some better coaching.

We must have been the number 1 EPL Team for incomplete passes under Fraudio Rogers.

So I’ve been thinking about what kind of tactics he could play, and I thought about this 3-2-4-1 formation Man City used and how we could use it. I’ve taken players that have been mentioned and then potential targets that we could look at due to Enzo’s connections.

Steffen 

Justin         Coady          Doyle 

Winks          Casadei

Ricardo          Bobb             Borges      Kristiensen 

Piroe 

Justin sitting in as that sweeper, because in a three I can’t see where Souttar or Faes would work. You wouldn’t want either as that third CB as you’re exposed to the counter. Justin on the other hand can play that sweeper role, and from what I’ve seen of Doyle he isn’t slow, so you got a pretty dynamic back three. 

Beauty of that is you’ve also got two defensive wide players when out of possession, and both the 10’s can drift out wide is needed to form a 4-3-3.

Who steps into that third midfielder role could be one of those CB, as Stones does for City. 

11 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

So I’ve been thinking about what kind of tactics he could play, and I thought about this 3-2-4-1 formation Man City used and how we could use it. I’ve taken players that have been mentioned and then potential targets that we could look at due to Enzo’s connections.

Steffen 

Justin         Coady          Doyle 

Winks          Casadei

Ricardo          Bobb             Borges      Kristiensen 

Piroe 

Justin sitting in as that sweeper, because in a three I can’t see where Souttar or Faes would work. You wouldn’t want either as that third CB as you’re exposed to the counter. Justin on the other hand can play that sweeper role, and from what I’ve seen of Doyle he isn’t slow, so you got a pretty dynamic back three. 

Beauty of that is you’ve also got two defensive wide players when out of possession, and both the 10’s can drift out wide is needed to form a 4-3-3.

Who steps into that third midfielder role could be one of those CB, as Stones does for City. 

Coady will be sweeping seeing as he can't actually do the things a CB does very well, he'll aim to be a free body for the keeper and start possession from the back I would assume.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 10:08, Stadt said:

I don’t think Maresca is going to ape Man City’s current system. It’s taken the best manager in the world (ever in my option) years to stumble upon this system with an hugely expensive squad. An ersatz Leicester City version is far too risky.

My concern is we’re shaping up like we’re playing 5 atb currently. Coady’s signing and the lack of winger links seems to suggest it.

Owner wants it, clear enough by Rodgers appointment and now Maresca.

3 hours ago, Verumex said:

In an interview with BBC Leicester yesterday, Guilliam Balagué, a journalist who knows Enzo personally, said that his general personality is of someone who finds it very difficult to stop talking about subjects he's passionate about, and commented that in the press conference he did seem very reserved and controlled.

He believed that Enzo was specifically trying to watch what he said, and not say too much on any topic this early. He knows that the wrong word this early on could have unintended consequences in both the press and the squad. He also said that speaking in a second language would be a big factor too.

So it wasn't just you, he was a bit uncomfortable during the press conference, but not for any of the reasons you believed. 

This would make sense to his response when being questioned if Vardy will be an important player.

“So our idea is to try to dominate the ball as soon as much we can. I think they enjoy having the ball — not running in behind, you know. So this is the first target for us.”

The latter part slightly bothers me because possession based sides also break rapidly. Hope we keep that. Especially as it feels part of our DNA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, An Away Move said:

“So our idea is to try to dominate the ball as soon as much we can. I think they enjoy having the ball — not running in behind, you know. So this is the first target for us.”

The latter part slightly bothers me because possession based sides also break rapidly. Hope we keep that. Especially as it feels part of our DNA. 

When you watch/listen to everything he said, I think it alleviates lots of these (justified without the full context) fears. He's talking about how you play football to kick the ball, not to chase people around. Doesn't mean he's not going to focus on that aspect since he repeatedly talks about mindset and adapting but more that he wants to bring the joy back to playing.

We will be possession oriented but I think we'll also see a team willing to mix it up a bit more and up the intensity when needed.

• Like 2

Just a thought…just thinking out loud..

I never believe in comparing up players,every individual has to make & create their own careers..

But from a fan view around pub tables…

Is it worth thinking of Justin in a Simpson role,but with more technical abilities moving forward, & crossing…

Though I do believe Ricardo,Justin,Kritiansen,Thomas, are quite good utility players,though I would prefer them when selected first butting down a singular role.

Burnley showed the way to go last season with Kompany in charge another pep protege play good attacking football agree with some about our strikers big season for ihanaecho should he find some consistency. The lad from Swansea a good option 

25 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

PS - I’m not sure you can still say Stones ‘starts on paper’ at RB? We all know where he starts, it’s RH. 
Anyway @StriderHiryu I look forward to joining you on the tactics thread!

Summoning @Steve Earle! The point you make here is something a few coaches are starting to say, which is that formations aren't even a thing anymore, teams actually play a variety of structures and shapes and change between them mid-match. 

That said, with Stones, most people call Pep's formation a 3241, so he's a CDM there, not an RB. So you are correct!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Summoning @Steve Earle! The point you make here is something a few coaches are starting to say, which is that formations aren't even a thing anymore, teams actually play a variety of structures and shapes and change between them mid-match. 

That said, with Stones, most people call Pep's formation a 3241, so he's a CDM there, not an RB. So you are correct!

Fully agree. But it’s the elite that have that in game tactical flexibility. I don’t expect Maresca to achieve that with Leicester in one season - Pep didn’t at Man C,

Looking ahead we might start the season in a conventional 3421/3412, but I imagine 3-box-3 is the medium term goal.

The problem then is fitting the players we have into either system. Assuming 3421 we need:

- a GK to play as sweeper 

- a RCB to play the Kyle Walker role, which could well be JJ

- a LCB to play the Laporte/Ake role: maybe Doyle or VK

- a DCM to play alongside either HW or KDH

- two tens, maybe 3

- three wide forwards, maybe 4.

A long way to go, but it should be an exciting journey!

• Like 1

We're gonna be pinning teams into their own half. Against farmers like Millwall,  Hull, Cardiff etc we'll be having 85% possession. For once I'm looking foward to watching us again being aggressive and playing beautifully.

30 minutes ago, Koke said:

We're gonna be pinning teams into their own half. Against farmers like Millwall,  Hull, Cardiff etc we'll be having 85% possession. For once I'm looking foward to watching us again being aggressive and playing beautifully.

Neil Warnock's tricky Terriers are going to rack up about 30 total attempted passes and 20 of them will be their goalkeeper booting it up for Souttar to head back down to Winks

Been loving the training videos. Enzo seems very intense. Very involved and demanding. 

Compare that to Rodgers who always seemed to be mincing around the sidelines as hos coaches took training or Smith/Terry and Co who seemed more concerned with the players liking them and having fun. 

• Like 2

Comments from Owynn Palmer-Atkin from the behind closed doors friendly against Peterboro today.

https://twitter.com/OwynnPA

FIRST HALF

In the first half the Foxes operated out of a 4-3-3 system with a clear game plan to dominate the ball. When moving into an attacking phase they implemented a 3-2-4-1 (think Man City last season) where Ricardo joined the midfield alongside Harry Winks with the rest pushing on.

It was clear that Winks is going to be the man that this #LCFC team plays through. He sat at the base of the midfield and was very progressive in his passing. The passing range of Tielemans with the positional play of Mendy.

Coady was excellent, a real leader in the back line and his voice was heard consistent through the first half. He was also ordering the pressing from the front, once the ball went into a trigger area. City hunted in packs well and won the ball back in the final third a lot.

SECOND HALF

Again #LCFC operated out of the 4-3-3 and in attack were in the 3-2-4-1 but it was McAteer who joined the midfield and JJ who became the right winger. Very similar style of play as City dominated the ball.

Attacking wise, the Foxes looked better in the second half but still seemed to lack a final cutting edge ball or a spark of brilliance. A creative number 8 is definitely needed in the transfer window.

One interesting take away from the midfield is that both Soumare and Hamza were utilised as number 8s, with Choudhury hunting the ball with energy and Soumare trying to create. It was a partnership that worked relatively well.

--------------------------------

Ricardo the inverted fullback CONFIRMED!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Torten said:

I honestly can’t figure out whether we’re gonna HMS Piss the League and smash the points total or get relegated.

We're winning nothing whilst the likes of Vestergaard Praet Choudhury Albrighton and Soumare are still hanging around preventing the creative signings we need.