Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Rugby World Cup 2023

Just now, Finnegan said:

You'd think that by one of my old uni mates is a season ticket holder, for a start, but depressingly r/rugbyunion is full of them. 

I'm afraid it's a sad reflection of modern society and general educational standards. 

Oh and on Farrell. Disgusting decision.   Its almost football levels of favouring the so called big boys.

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Honestly Bert, all banter aside, to the credit of England fans I can't actually find any that don't agree this is completely ridiculous. 

For City fans, for context, this is pretty much rugby's exact copy of Shearer getting a free pass for kicking Lennie in the face at point blank. 

It’s absolutely mental. I was watching the clips of it and not one of the 4 angles I seen it from can I get my head round where they’ve thought “actually yeah, that’s ok” lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I'm afraid it's a sad reflection of modern society and general educational standards. 

Oh and on Farrell. Disgusting decision.   Its almost football levels of favouring the so called big boys.

Why did this independent panel go against the original decision?

Apparently there were two ex Australian players on the panel too !

15 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Why did this independent panel go against the original decision?

Apparently there were two ex Australian players on the panel too !

Obviously cynically a lot of people are making snide comments about bribes and corruption. 

Especially given that - as much as I made reference to Sexton earlier - even he got a massively reduced ban and conveniently ends up back for most of the world cup. 

At the end of the day, they just want all the star players to be at the world cup don't they. The world cup as a whole is a really important show piece event for rugby. It probably would have been the same if it had been the captain of South Africa, France, New Zealand, etc. 

Technically World Rugby can appeal the decision but they'll only do that if they think there's significant pressure from public outcry to outweigh what they likely see as the benefits of Faz being at the WC. So I doubt it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Obviously cynically a lot of people are making snide comments about bribes and corruption. 

Especially given that - as much as I made reference to Sexton earlier - even he got a massively reduced ban and conveniently ends up back for most of the world cup. 

At the end of the day, they just want all the star players to be at the world cup don't they. The world cup as a whole is a really important show piece event for rugby. It probably would have been the same if it had been the captain of South Africa, France, New Zealand, etc. 

Technically World Rugby can appeal the decision but they'll only do that if they think there's significant pressure from public outcry to outweigh what they likely see as the benefits of Faz being at the WC. So I doubt it. 

Yeah rugby needs the big names, pretty much most sports do for their big tournaments and probably only football can get away with not.

There is previous on this as Richie McCaw should have been banned for the 2015 world cup final.

21 hours ago, sm1 said:

Actually think the decision harms us. With Farrell out I was hoping to see Ford get an extended run as our no10, but now Borthwick will start his capt.

TBH i'd rather have JVP fit & Farrell banned if it was 1 or the other & as you say a good run of games for Ford with Smith coming on to finish.

24 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Fiji will go above England and Australia in the world rankings when they're released tomorrow. They will also be the highest ranked team in Pool C going into the world cup.

I think they can definitely beat both Wales and Australia, but I think that says more about how poor both of those are. 

France and South Africa have looked a class above this weekend. 

12 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I think they can definitely beat both Wales and Australia, but I think that says more about how poor both of those are. 

France and South Africa have looked a class above this weekend. 

They CAN beat Wales and Australia. 

I have a sneaky suspicion they won't. I actually have this weird, niggling feeling we might actually clean sweep our group. If we can avoid too many disastrous injuries I think we've somehow come out of the last two years with some half decent depth and a squad with the perfect balance of young up and comers and experience. 

I dont think we'll get very far in the knockout stages, don't get me wrong, but Georgia are the most over rated team in the world, Portugal will be dispatched pretty comfortably and Australia are going through an absolutely hideous transition and I think Gats just edges the tactical battle with Eddie to be honest. 

I think you'll see a much, much different Wales vs Fiji and Wales vs Georgia compared to their last visits to Cardiff. I just think Gats has had long enough now to get everyone drilled and the game plan will be solid, dull, unflashy but professional just as it always is with him. 

I think we'll be fitter than Fiji, more organised than Fiji, more disciplined than Fiji and our set piece will be more reliable. 

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They CAN beat Wales and Australia. 

I have a sneaky suspicion they won't. I actually have this weird, niggling feeling we might actually clean sweep our group. If we can avoid too many disastrous injuries I think we've somehow come out of the last two years with some half decent depth and a squad with the perfect balance of young up and comers and experience. 

I dont think we'll get very far in the knockout stages, don't get me wrong, but Georgia are the most over rated team in the world, Portugal will be dispatched pretty comfortably and Australia are going through an absolutely hideous transition and I think Gats just edges the tactical battle with Eddie to be honest. 

I think you'll see a much, much different Wales vs Fiji and Wales vs Georgia compared to their last visits to Cardiff. I just think Gats has had long enough now to get everyone drilled and the game plan will be solid, dull, unflashy but professional just as it always is with him. 

I think we'll be fitter than Fiji, more organised than Fiji, more disciplined than Fiji and our set piece will be more reliable. 

Hmmm I’m not too sure, Wales didn’t exactly look great in these warm up games. The first game you were 7/10 but the second and third ones were embarrassing all things considered. Challenging your last paragraph, Fiji’s scrum was great, generally well organised and they seemed fit enough throughout the 80. Some of their defence was suspect but it’s definitely a more solid Fiji side than the traditional flair like Fiji. Considering it’s the first game too, I’m on the fence as to who will win.

I do agree that Georgia shouldn’t offer too much headache, although I currently think Japan are more overrated.