Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Car Insurance Question

Anyone on here know much about solicitor letters? Received one about an accident that happened over 4 years a go!  It's saying that the bloke is now looking to claim another £5k for car hire and storage! Seems odd that this wasn't claimed for at the time!? Anyway, I've forwarded it on to the insurance company that dealt with it back in 2019 (I presume that's the correct thing to do ) 

All seems a bit odd, especially it happening so long a go.

Does anyone know how these things work? 

22 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Anyone on here know much about solicitor letters? Received one about an accident that happened over 4 years a go!  It's saying that the bloke is now looking to claim another £5k for car hire and storage! Seems odd that this wasn't claimed for at the time!? Anyway, I've forwarded it on to the insurance company that dealt with it back in 2019 (I presume that's the correct thing to do ) 

He must have overspent for Christmas...

• Haha 1

I thought that there was a cut-off period of 3 years for retrospective claims, so one relating to a car accident in 2019 would now be null and void. Assuming that's the case, I'd contest the claim, partly because the insurance company might increase my next premium if they were to cough up the extra dosh to the money-grabbing claimant.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Hi all - car insurance renewal due in Jan. Its shot up around £300 (from 450). Anyone else experiencing sky rocketing premiums?

Thanks

Yup, combination of issues really.

1. Spare parts are becoming expensive due to supply chain issues with the war in Ukraine/Covid and shipping issues in Panama and the Suez so repairs are getting increasingly more expensive. 

2. Second hand car prices are up so cost to replace for write offs is more expensive (providing someone has some sort of Gap insurance), also I believe there’s some issues with courtesy cars being more scarce in case of a write off. 

3. Car crime is at record levels 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 16:41, Collymore said:

Insurance companies try it on. They've probably already contacted your insurance company from that time and been told, quite rightly, to do one.

So what they then try and do is bully the little man/woman who they hope doesn't know their rights and will pay up based on vague and spurious threats 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Hi all - car insurance renewal due in Jan. Its shot up around £300 (from 450). Anyone else experiencing sky rocketing premiums?

Thanks

Yup my renewal was quoted at a couple hundred over previous.

Search your comparison sites, and they'll likely agree to your lowest one. 

Think I knocked £150 off my renewal quote, but still a 30/40 quid increase from last year's 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Itsthejoeker said:

Yup, combination of issues really.

1. Spare parts are becoming expensive due to supply chain issues with the war in Ukraine/Covid and shipping issues in Panama and the Suez so repairs are getting increasingly more expensive. 

2. Second hand car prices are up so cost to replace for write offs is more expensive (providing someone has some sort of Gap insurance), also I believe there’s some issues with courtesy cars being more scarce in case of a write off. 

3. Car crime is at record levels 

4. Insurance companies are robbing b@st@rds.

• Like 2

On 26/12/2023 at 23:32, filthyfox said:

EVERY single policy i have has gone up.

Ukraine simply CANNOT be responsible for everything we rely on!

Prior to the war Ukraine supplied almost $1bn in electrical components to European car manufacturers. 

It’s not solely responsible but it’s partly. 

3 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Is anyone with Flow car insurance? Part of Liverpool Victoria. Miles cheaper than others.

Yeah. Far cheaper than other quotes. Hope they continue thier competitive prices next year.

Edited by Otis
  • Like 1

(27 years of insurance claims  experience :wave:)

Any Third Party has 6 years to claim in England & Wales and 5 years in Scotland for property damage including vehicle damage (3 years in both to claim for injury), so the matter is not yet legally time barred.

Pass it to whoever your insurers were at the time the incident occurred (yoyr insurance will have been underwritten on an occurrence) basis).

Tell the solicitors who wrote to you that you have done so.

Don't be scared by any threats to litigate.  It's a tactic designed to intimidate.  They threaten it all the time and it is only an minuscule number of cases ever make it to court.

Edited by Vacamion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My renewal quote went up from £270 to £540 even before they knew I had an accident last month (hit from behind so clearly not at fault and not even on my insurance but I declared it anyway).

Eventually found a deal that insured both cars for less than £500 - maybe 10% up on last year due to a big (>20%) multi-vehicle discount.  It’s with a known name insurer too, I have done the cheap-as-chips option before and that was fine until I was absolutely stung for changing the vehicle on the policy.

Went online to cancel the renewal and it came up with a message saying that they might be able to offer me a better price.  No.  If you could do a better price for an existing customer but have chosen not to then you can eff off.

13 hours ago, CUJimmy said:

My renewal quote went up from £270 to £540 even before they knew I had an accident last month (hit from behind so clearly not at fault and not even on my insurance but I declared it anyway).

Eventually found a deal that insured both cars for less than £500 - maybe 10% up on last year due to a big (>20%) multi-vehicle discount.  It’s with a known name insurer too, I have done the cheap-as-chips option before and that was fine until I was absolutely stung for changing the vehicle on the policy.

Went online to cancel the renewal and it came up with a message saying that they might be able to offer me a better price.  No.  If you could do a better price for an existing customer but have chosen not to then you can eff off.

Whereas Esure won't even see if they can get it cheaper for you....

Just whack it up to twice the price

On 29/12/2023 at 19:53, Chiltern Fox said:

Is anyone with Flow car insurance? Part of Liverpool Victoria. Miles cheaper than others.

I read this so went to get an online quote…

Which was £1900 a year more than I’m currently paying!!! 😳😳😳 Which I assume is a ‘fvck off, we don’t want to insure you’ kind of quote. 

The discrepancies are really weird between different companies. I’ve had wildly different quotes. 

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Milo said:

I read this so went to get an online quote…

Which was £1900 a year more than I’m currently paying!!! 😳😳😳 Which I assume is a ‘fvck off, we don’t want to insure you’ kind of quote. 

The discrepancies are really weird between different companies. I’ve had wildly different quotes. 

Frustrating isn't it? Almost like they make it up 

I can highly recommend the advice given on Money Saving Expert: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/ It’s the site run by Martin Lewis , so very honest. They have a comparison tool and also a recommended way of getting quotes (down to the amount of time before renewal to start looking).

I’ve been back in the UK for seven years now, with no claims, and what I pay for car insurance has hardly increased. I’ve never renewed with the same company, even though they always offer me a ‘valued customer discount’ - because it’s usually 10% more than I can get elsewhere.

Shop around is my advice; and recognise that all insurance companies are robbing bastards.