Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Things you never see anymore

38 minutes ago, davieG said:

TV Renting

428652430_789535069867404_69627209082691

I never knew Michael Palin worked for Granada rentals back in the day.

The thrill you got when the TV was delivered to your home was a bit special because they were pretty much the latest models.

Our first colour TV was from Radio Rentals. I couldn't wait to get home from school to see it.

Edited by Parafox

16 hours ago, MPH said:

Putting 50p in the back of the tv so it would work for the evening :blush:

There used to be black and white tv sets, and a special licence for black and white viewers. Do either still exist?

Edit: After a conversation with Mr Google, it appears there is still a black and white TV licence for £53.50.  So the answer to both must be Yes.

Edited by SkidsFox

37 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

There used to be black and white tv sets, and a special licence for black and white viewers. Do either still exist?

Edit: After a conversation with Mr Google, it appears there is still a black and white TV licence for £53.50.  So the answer to both must be Yes.

As of the year 2020:

Black and white TV licences – Top 20

LONDON
BIRMINGHAM
MANCHESTER
GLASGOW
LEEDS
LIVERPOOL
BELFAST (NI)
NOTTINGHAM
OMAGH (NI)
SHEFFIELD
BRISTOL
BRADFORD
LEICESTER
COVENTRY
LUTON
DUNGANNON (NI)
EDINBURGH
NEWRY (NI)
CARDIFF
HUDDERSFIELD
Edited by MPH

17 hours ago, MPH said:

Putting 50p in the back of the tv so it would work for the evening :blush:

A long time ago cheap seaside b&b's used to have these.

'Colour TV in all rooms'

If you accidently held the TV upside down 50p coins would often fall out.

4 minutes ago, boots60 said:

A long time ago cheap seaside b&b's used to have these.

'Colour TV in all rooms'

If you accidently held the TV upside down 50p coins would often fall out.

:o

Just think of all the 8p Mars bars i could have bought!

Edited by MPH

5 hours ago, MPH said:

As of the year 2020:

Black and white TV licences – Top 20

LONDON
BIRMINGHAM
MANCHESTER
GLASGOW
LEEDS
LIVERPOOL
BELFAST (NI)
NOTTINGHAM
OMAGH (NI)
SHEFFIELD
BRISTOL
BRADFORD
LEICESTER
COVENTRY
LUTON
DUNGANNON (NI)
EDINBURGH
NEWRY (NI)
CARDIFF
HUDDERSFIELD

I never would have thought so many people still had black and white TV's. 

Unless they're collectors, maybe?

50 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Resilience

True. People are much more fragile. I wonder if that's due to socioeconomic factors or the fact that victimhood is not only seen now as a desirable characteristic but can also be lucrative. I guess the two things are linked. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Resilience

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

True. People are much more fragile. I wonder if that's due to socioeconomic factors or the fact that victimhood is not only seen now as a desirable characteristic but can also be lucrative. I guess the two things are linked. 

I agree with the above.

I don't agree with the implication here that it's a negative in full or even in much part, as signs like this indicating the world is (at least in a small way) becoming an easier place to live for our species is a good thing, not a bad one.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

I never would have thought so many people still had black and white TV's. 

Unless they're collectors, maybe?

it’s an odd one that’s for sure!

id assume you only need a license if you actually watch the tv and not have it stored away somewhere..

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I agree with the above.

I don't agree with the implication here that it's a negative in full or even in much part, as signs like this indicating the world is (at least in a small way) becoming an easier place to live for our species is a good thing, not a bad one.

Feels a bit sweeping too me @leicsmac as life being easier makes smaller challenges mountains, ad infinitum. Is this a good thing? Perhaps it is. :dunno:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Feels a bit sweeping too me @leicsmac as life being easier makes smaller challenges mountains, ad infinitum. Is this a good thing? Perhaps it is. :dunno:

On a relative scale of hardship, that's exactly right, but I was thinking more about an absolute scale. So yeah, I think it's a good thing, can see why it would be seen as you have, though. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

I agree with the above.

I think there's more zero sum thinking. People scrabbling around for their share of the ever diminishing pie. Fragility and victimhood is one way to secure that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I think there's more zero sum thinking. People scrabbling around for their share of the ever diminishing pie. Fragility and victimhood is one way to secure that.

That could well be true tbh, but while that isn't great I would think it's better than the alternative of the past.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That could well be true tbh, but while that isn't great I would think it's better than the alternative of the past.

I think it's very bad that different groups now feel they are so much in economic competition. That's been the worst development in the last couple of decades imo, you see how much damage it has done in Britain. 

• Like 1

I think tbh the fragility thing is not only about rising economic inequality but also the constant, not-so-subtle denigration of certain groups as inherently privileged, and therefore bad, in film and media. People don't want to be associated with that.

Though again I guess you can't really separate that from economic developments. Like the Rupert Murdoch cookie meme, but telling both sides the other one is somehow unfairly advantaged. 

Edited by bovril

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I think it's very bad that different groups now feel they are so much in economic competition. That's been the worst development in the last couple of decades imo, you see how much damage it has done in Britain. 

Would agree with that too. There certainly has been a backslide in that regard in the last decade in places including the UK, but times are still steadily getting better overall IMO - that's just a hunch on my part though.