Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Things you never see anymore

Does the 'Boardman' still exist?

That's what we called the school truancy officer.

I can still picture our Boardman riding around on his Honda 50 scooter and visiting the homes of school absentees. And yes, he even had a clipboard with him.

He also collard me once, walking along a street in school time. He ordered me to climb on the back of his scooter and off we went, back to class.

Just spotted this on Amazon

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Nod.E said:

This won't be popular, but I'll preface it by saying that I'm not saying all people that choose to have children today are thick. Some of my most intelligent friends are dead set on it (for some reason.)

However...

Is it fair to say that the 'intellectually challenged' end of the societal spectrum are more readily procreating? 

It only gets worse from here.

A persons intellect has nothing to do with a desire for procreation.

Edited by boots60

12 minutes ago, davieG said:

431513751_2110861519272176_7733619014308

Can't say I've seen to many on the road and do people still do their own big repairs?

Given how complex modern cars are, I think the amount of people who can learn to repair their car by themselves in their own time (and do it) would be rather small these days. Particularly the electrical engineering, that's the biggest change.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Given how complex modern cars are, I think the amount of people who can learn to repair their car by themselves in their own time (and do it) would be rather small these days. Particularly the electrical engineering, that's the biggest change.

Yeah, I used to do a lot back in the day, stripped the carb, decoked the engine, replaced the gearbox, brakes and more.

I never even lift the bonnet now although I've not had any trouble.

Hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

431513751_2110861519272176_7733619014308

Can't say I've seen to many on the road and do people still do their own big repairs?

I dont miss the 'Kerb side autos' you would see on every other street.

I dont mean someone doing the odd repair but folk like that suggested in the picture.

Oil stains on the road and pavement and the immediate area smelling like the inside of a garage mechanics workshop.

Guest leatherhead32

ufos and space aliens , loads round our way at night til mobile phones got cameras fitted , seems to have scared em  off ? i miss being abducted , the first time was in late 70s they wanted to know if there was intelligent life on earth , after an hour or 2 with me they just wanted names n addresses of people as it was a NO where i was concerned.:welcome: 

41 minutes ago, leatherhead32 said:

ufos and space aliens , loads round our way at night til mobile phones got cameras fitted , seems to have scared em  off ? 

Odd that isn't it? Popular folklore - elves, unicorns, pixies, giants, sprites, demons, banshees, dragons, wryms, witches, ghouls - all things that used to be sighted or plague our villages and communities similarly went to ground with the advent of technology and access to knowledge and education. 

Then along came the internet. 

• Haha 1

On 23/03/2024 at 10:09, davieG said:

Yeah, I used to do a lot back in the day, stripped the carb, decoked the engine, replaced the gearbox, brakes and more.

I never even lift the bonnet now although I've not had any trouble.

Hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

I never lift the bonnet unless a light on the dash display tells me I need to do something like refill the screenwash.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I never lift the bonnet unless a light on the dash display tells me I need to do something like refill the screenwash.

I fitted some new wipers last week although it was my second attempt as I was given the wrong ones at first.

Guest leatherhead32

wish i could post david cameron but his smarmy rubber face is back all the f :yawn: g time now, maybe he'll melt in the summer:fc: 

Guest leatherhead32

:yahoo:aint seen david smarmy cameron on  t v since i put this post up.  so it worked.:schmike: