Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Enzo Maresca frustration boils over as he says 'moment there's doubt about the idea, I will leave'

Maybe some of our fans can't see that football has generally evolved into the style that we are trying to play. 

Many teams try to play out from the back & have a possession is king philosophy. Ours is a work in progress obviously. 

If we took the numerous chances we create, the issue some have would go away. Maybe ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I think we - and that includes Enzo - need a sense of perspective here.

You hear grumbles and groans but what percentage of fans is this? Even if it is a vocal couple of hundred around the stadium, that equtes to no more than 1%.

I dont think you can include the early leavers as being dissatisfied either. There are far more of these when the game is won beyond doubt. In anycase, early leavers are occuring at more and more grounds.

I do hope that Enzo is not ramping this up as a prelude to an exit strategy. This and the incoming players (lack off) situation.

Most - vast majority, in fact - are very happy with how things are going.

It was huge swathes of the home support last night, nevermind half the crowd disappearing from 75mins onwards 

Last night was the worst home atmosphere I've experienced, in relation to the actual performance, result and overall position we find ourselves in. 

It is bizarre. 

57 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I have pissed off, I gave up my season ticket and I’m happy with that decision. 

I find this kind of thing so odd.

You stuck with it with Rodgers and then decided it wasn't good enough now we are winning week-in-week-out and the players appear to actually enjoy football again? 

What made you quit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Hiorns said:

…when you don’t understand the intricacies of the game and still allow old redundant opinions to sway your judgement… then yes, I supposed it is. Boring win after boring win…

oooh please impress me with you amazing knowledge of the game

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

Again, how is preferring a different style and getting frustrated immature from a fan in any way?  Not saying I agree with GERRITFORWARD every 2 minutes but they are allowed an opinion.

I'm not saying having a different prefered style is immature. 

It is lacking in any kind of footballing intelligence or maturity to moan and groan if we pass it sideways or backwards. It's like people have never seen the sport before...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

That's not being overly sensitive. youve still managed to switch this round to being about Maresca's mood. 10 points clear and people are complaining about him,

He has a right to be upset if people are complaining about the job he is doing. But thats way different to  him being  'overly sensitive'

This is about ungrateful complaining fans who have a small chance of pushing away a manager who is doing an amazing job. It's the stupidest thing i have ever seen.

Pearson tells a fan to FOAD, grabs players  by the throat, does some crazy interviews , did so much for this club but he DID have some weird tactics, bad performances and strange  subs/ decisions... but he gets a free ride and is pretty much immortalized. Maresca takes over a sinking ship thats been badly run and managed for a couple of years now as well as being in a financial sink hole, but instead of plaudits for the amazing turn around he gets criticism. 

I honestly despair sometimes...

I think you have totally missed my point….

My perception is that it is a minority who are doing as you say and complaining about the job he is doing. Maybe that naiive of me and it’s a higher proportion than I think. Mostly, it is balanced views recognising the good and where we can and need to improve. Not everything is perfect.

So my point about him being over sensitive I stand by. I don’t think he should be throwing his toys out and threatening to leave over a minority of supporters not getting on board. 

And I’m saying this as someone who is on board and like him as a person. But this doesn’t sit right with me.

• Like 1

I do think there is some deliberate misunderstanding of fans frustrations in here.

I'm not a GERRIT FORWUD merchant by any means, however I do get frustrated with the negative decisions our players often take. 

There's been plenty of occasions where a promising attack is developing after beating the opponents press and we stop, turn back to our own goal and repeat the Faes-Vesty-Mads loop. Some players (like JJ for example) don't seem to be able to make a forward pass.

I understand anybody being frustrated watching us play at times this season. Who knows, perhaps last night in the absence of a dodgy penalty we might have found ourselves looking at another 1-1 after refusing to put a dreadful Swansea side to the sword.

That being said, it in no way excuses the dreadful atmosphere. Our fans are a weird bunch in that such a large amount of them don't seem to actually want to be there, it's as if going down the City is part of a community service sentence or something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Maybe but the reality is, it’s here at Leicester and not going anywhere. It’s working, we are top of the league. We are winning games, fans need to back the team, not constantly be moaning

Its funny to me how this style does bring out the worst in people. Its why patience with the manager, and the team, is key.

I feel sometimes fans will accept a 4-2 result playing murderball, yet 3-1 with possession football will be seen as giving the opposition too many chances.

Our defensive stats and goal difference are insane, even with gifting many teams last minute goals.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

The issue I see with the style of play we won’t be able to play like that against over 50% of teams in the Prem. Similar to Burnley last season they walked the league with a similar style and struggling in the Prem.

We have the highest wage budget in Championship history, most of our players are far too good for this league. 

I understand the frustrations from Enzo but saying things like he will leave isn’t good form from him. Should keep things like that in private.

We’ll know how good he is as a manager next season more than This. But already making comments like the above suggests to me he won’t be here that long; and the first decent offer he’ll probably be off. 

But who else in the championship is getting judged on their current play style based on how it would translate in the Prem? 

Maybe Maresca sees this style as the best way to get out of the prem (so far it's hard to argue against that). There's nothing to suggest that he won't either change the style to suit the prem if and when we go up or recruit a better standard of player to implement this style. 

It's just seems like a harsh way to judge him imo

We should invite Enzo to come and look at this thread. He might want to join in although I doubt he would. Foxestalk for all its match day histrionics is far and away the best football forum I have ever read. The quality of opinion, reasoning, experience and yes, most of the time, respect for others opinions is astonishing.

1 minute ago, DennisNedry said:

I do think there is some deliberate misunderstanding of fans frustrations in here.

I'm not a GERRIT FORWUD merchant by any means, however I do get frustrated with the negative decisions our players often take. 

There's been plenty of occasions where a promising attack is developing after beating the opponents press and we stop, turn back to our own goal and repeat the Faes-Vesty-Mads loop. Some players (like JJ for example) don't seem to be able to make a forward pass.

I understand anybody being frustrated watching us play at times this season. Who knows, perhaps last night in the absence of a dodgy penalty we might have found ourselves looking at another 1-1 after refusing to put a dreadful Swansea side to the sword.

That being said, it in no way excuses the dreadful atmosphere. Our fans are a weird bunch in that such a large amount of them don't seem to actually want to be there, it's as if going down the City is part of a community service sentence or something.

Correct me if im wrong, but part of the system is progressing if an opportunity presents itself (i.e taking necessary risks). We would rather retain the ball than give it back taking unnecessary risks. 

It's really then down to the individual quality of the players on whether they have creativity and are capable of taking risks. Praet yesterday seemed to do very little, whereas KDH (and Mavadid more late in the 2nd half) offered more creativity. 

Its the sort of thing i would expect to improve when we have better players or players have more confidence.

• Like 1

Just now, ftfagos said:

We should invite Enzo to come and look at this thread. He might want to join in although I doubt he would. Foxestalk for all its match day histrionics is far and away the best football forum I have ever read. The quality of opinion, reasoning, experience and yes, most of the time, respect for others opinions is astonishing.

Would rather hope he would have better things to do with his time.

Complaining about the style of football when winning games and dominating the league can only really happen at a very entitled and spoilt fan base. 

Do you think Ipswich give a shiny shite about the style of football? No. They are desperate for promotion at any cost and the manager will be even more of a hero if he achieves it. 

Martin O'Neils style of football was pretty erm let's be kind and call it direct and pragmatic. But no one cared, in fact we embraced it with chants of "boring boring Leicester" ringing out round filbo after yet another semi final win. The fans were happy after all those years of utter shite to have a side playing with passion and complete fearlessness. And after last season I feel the same and I hope to christ that these raging, entitled nob heads don't Sour the relationship between the fans and a clearly great manager. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

Complaining about the style of football when winning games and dominating the league can only really happen at a very entitled and spoilt fan base. 

Do you think Ipswich give a shiny shite about the style of football? No. They are desperate for promotion at any cost and the manager will be even more of a hero if he achieves it. 

Martin O'Neils style of football was pretty erm let's be kind and call it direct and pragmatic. But no one cared, in fact we embraced it with chants of "boring boring Leicester" ringing out round filbo after yet another semi final win. The fans were happy after all those years of utter shite to have a side playing with passion and complete fearlessness. And after last season I feel the same and I hope to christ that these raging, entitled nob heads don't Sour the relationship between the fans and a clearly great manager. 

What part of finding it boring makes them entitled?  They have a differing opinion.  Football snobery at it worst!!

This is the equivalent of challenging climate change and being called a racist!

Edited by Basildon Fox

Anyone who is bored by the way we play should be forced to watch the entire 16/17 season over again, watch us idiotically trying to carry on playing 'exciting' counter attacking football - watch us scrape together 1.2 goals a game (2 goals per game playing boring football, in case you were wondering.)

• Like 1

Can everyone just chill out? Enzo included. Although the sensationalist journalism needs taking with a pinch of salt, too.

Teams are doubling up on winks, and our other midfielders (and Daka) aren't very good at taking the ball under pressure. 

Go long then? Well no, most of the time we tried that we gifted back possession. When has going long ever worked against a low block? Talk about playing into the hands of the opposition.

It's a system that has us on the cusp of literally breaking records, and with a few tweaks in personnel, we'll be really ticking. 

Add to the mix we've been without our biggest outlet (and entertainment source for you dopamine junkies) in Fatawu, it's not hard to understand why we might look a little short on ideas at the moment. But even saying that feels wrong. We missed multiple gilt edged chances last night anyway.

Our biggest issues are set pieces and closing games out. The style of play is self evidently successful against the benchmarks of Southampton and Leeds for comparison. Not something that should even be a conversation point right now.

If people peddling the 'FORWAAAAARD' line feel they're faced with snobbery, perhaps there's a reason for those responses? More often than not if you're faced with widespread contempt, it's because you're being an idiot. Not that I'd expect that level of self awareness from the average KP mouthbreather.

To be honest I think Enzo should ignore them. Hopefully we'll lose those fans along the way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Basildon Fox said:

What part of finding it boring makes the entitled?  They have a differing opinion.  Football snobery at it worst!!

You can find it boring, but as soon as you start audibly moaning and groaning when the side are in possession then you are acting against the best interests of the club. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Thanks 1

This whole 'this won't work in the premier league' is such a weird stick to beat Maresca with. 

1. We don't know it won't work in the premier league. Heck, there's going to be a ton of player turnover again in the summer anyhow
  2. It's bringing an imagined future problem into the present - seeking negativity to almost deliberately disrupt your enjoyment of the here and now. Why not just enjoy this season on its own merits? 
  3. Where does it end? If Maresca keeps us up next season, will a large contingent of the fanbase be saying 'yeah but you can't play this way and finish in the top half' 
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

You can find it boring, but as soon as you start audibly moaning and groaning when the side are in possession then you are acting against the best interests of the club. 

How so?  They pay their money and can do what they want.  Putting money into the club is hardly against the best interests of the club.

Edited by Basildon Fox