Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Anyone got any evidence of teams who have blown huge leads and still gone on to succeed?

3 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I suggest to everyone we do put money on it. At least it will numb the pain. The bookies seem utterly deluded at the moment with our odds. My next bet is a acca next week with Leeds, Ipswich Southampton to win, us lose or draw both games! Then if the ultimate disappointment happens I can at least get obliterated and eat takeaways. 

We havent  beaten anybody apart from Sheff Wed  who  we dropped points to in the first game Hopefully we will break the trend at Hull but I   wouldnt hold my breath

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Only want evidence of football teams that had a right old wobble, gave themselves a whack and got the job done down the stretch.

2008/09 vibes rather than 2012/13.

Does my Sunday league team count??

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Bookies just go whatever way the wind is blowing though. 

Like in game betting. Man U today statistically had a 12 % chance of winning, then they scored and hey ho, the odds changed to a 33% chance of winning

Basically bookies never lose coz they just change their opinion at a drop of a hat. 

Bookies don't have opinions.  They mostly set the odds algorithmically, to keep equal money on both sides of the proposition, ensuring they make their 7%* (or whatever) cut.  Their computers change the odds in real time as the wagering pools or game situations change.  Purely a reflection of the market, with as little left to chance as possible. 

Our 5,000-1 was a famous exception.  It was a slightly simpler time, and some bookie must have thought that would be a "fun" proposition to pull a few crazy optimists into the shop.  They haven't offered such odds again have they?

*  accumulators can turn that 7% into 50%.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozvaldo said:

See you all in the Chammo next season. 
We’re blowing this. And we don’t have the edge and spirit for a play off battle. 

Strap yoursens in for another horrific 46 game season…for at least the next 6 years.

💯  agree with you. Been arguing today with the same people that were calling me for saying were relegated after Bournemouth  away Last season. 

This is a great question. The most obvious example is Blackburn Rovers. Already @Sly has mentioned their League title win, which is a good shout, and I think if you go back three seasons before that you get an even better case. 

When Dalglish took over in October 1991, his brief was to get them into the Premier League, which was due to kick off the following season. It all went swimmingly, and in February they were seven points clear of Ipswich at the top of Division Two. Then in March they lost SIX games on the trot. The wheels had truly come off, and the press were speculating about Kenny's mental health, just a year after he quit Liverpool. 

The last defeat in that run was inflicted by Leicester City - Rooster Russell racing away to score the only goal at Ewood Park, as we moved into an automatic promotion place. 

Blackburn came perilously close to a seventh straight defeat, but Mike Newell's penalty at Tranmere finally stopped the sequence. They had falllen so far that even a play-off place looked doubtful, but then seven points from the last three games meant they squeezed into the frame.

We all know what happened next.

You can read more about that Blackburn collapse, and the drama of that promotion race, here:

• Like 4

And if you want an example without play-off drama, the best is Coventry City 1963/64, when Jimmy Hill took them out of Division Three. 

On January 3rd they beat Millwall 3-0 at Highfield Road to go nine clear at the top - a lead that would have seemed totally unassailable in the days of two points for a win. 

Not so. They then went eleven games without a win. By the end of March they had fallen to third - and only two went up (no play-offs of course). It looked like they'd blown it, but they turned it round and went up as champions. 

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, kushiro said:

This is a great question. The most obvious example is Blackburn Rovers. Already @Sly has mentioned their League title win, which is a good shout, and I think if you go back three seasons before that you get an even better case. 

When Dalglish took over in October 1991, his brief was to get them into the Premier League, which was due to kick off the following season. It all went swimmingly, and in February they were seven points clear of Ipswich at the top of Division Two. Then in March they lost SIX games on the trot. The wheels had truly come off, and the press were speculating about Kenny's mental health, just a year after he quit Liverpool. 

The last defeat in that run was inflicted by Leicester City - Rooster Russell racing away to score the only goal at Ewood Park, as we moved into an automatic promotion place. 

Blackburn came perilously close to a seventh straight defeat, but Mike Newell's penalty at Tranmere finally stopped the sequence. They had falllen so far that even a play-off place looked doubtful, but then seven points from the last three games meant they squeezed into the frame.

We all know what happened next.

You can read more about that Blackburn collapse, and the drama of that promotion race, here:

Brilliant!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/03/2024 at 14:25, Ric Flair said:

It doesn't have to be, evidence of sides that have had a nose dive towards the end of the season and still succeeded should actually calm fans. 

Your reaction is equally out of touch. 

I don’t see much calm on here. The thread is just another magnet for relentless doom mongering.

8 minutes ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

I don’t see much calm on here. The thread is just another magnet for relentless doom mongering.

Choosing to ignore the examples provided of clubs that have overcome periods of crisis to still succeed then yeah? Nice one

On 03/03/2024 at 18:50, Paninistickers said:

Bookies just go whatever way the wind is blowing though. 

Like in game betting. Man U today statistically had a 12 % chance of winning, then they scored and hey ho, the odds changed to a 33% chance of winning

Basically bookies never lose coz they just change their opinion at a drop of a hat. 

changing their opinion as the known information changes?

Of course Man Utd would be more likely to win after scoring than at 0-0 lol

On 03/03/2024 at 14:04, Ric Flair said:

Only want evidence of football teams that had a right old wobble, gave themselves a whack and got the job done down the stretch.

Leicester city 2023/2024….

I suppose if you're talking bouncing back then look no further than 2013/14 Leicester. I remember the Watford play-off game didn't just feel like an opportunity stolen in the cruellest way but very much our final serious opportunity given potential financial issues. The dream scenario if we do blow it this year is to follow it up with similar.

I really hadn't much contemplated the idea we wouldn't go up this season bar a bit of a wobble around the Sensi debacle. I still think we will but I'm the least confident I've been.

On 03/03/2024 at 21:26, KingsX said:

Bookies don't have opinions.  They mostly set the odds algorithmically, to keep equal money on both sides of the proposition, ensuring they make their 7%* (or whatever) cut.  Their computers change the odds in real time as the wagering pools or game situations change.  Purely a reflection of the market, with as little left to chance as possible. 

Our 5,000-1 was a famous exception.  It was a slightly simpler time, and some bookie must have thought that would be a "fun" proposition to pull a few crazy optimists into the shop.  They haven't offered such odds again have they?

*  accumulators can turn that 7% into 50%.

I'd be interested to know what price Luton were at the start of the season.

Man Utds treble winners from  1999 - from memory so I’d have to check, but I’m sure they didn’t win a single game in December.

Also Man Utd’s You don’t win anything with kids team - only lost 4 games for the whole season - 3 were in March and April, quite a few draws around that time too, before they won the last 5 games to take the league title.

On 03/03/2024 at 13:04, Ric Flair said:

cant think of any ric at mo but maybe this is the season it happens we hope

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

I'd be interested to know what price Luton were at the start of the season.

2,000 - 1.  Probably as long odds as anything since 2015/16.

• 1 month later...