Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Matty Fryatt Discussing terms

That's almost certainly true...the question is why don't they disclose information like that to the public. In all seriousness there are a few possiblities:

1) Either party has something to hide from the fans

2) We don't want to let on how much money we might have for other targets

3) They don't want to let on how much money they still have available

4) Not to put pressure on the player from fans

5) It's a complicated fee and either party is worried it will look worse on paper and fans will react badly

Well it could be any of those reasons or a mixture I just don't like the way people immediately presume that undisclosed means CL is worried what the fans will think of him and his transfer dealings. I like to think that the reason is that both Sheffield Wednesday and ourselves would like to prevent other clubs finding out how much we both have left in the kitty. It does get disclosed in some way when clubs produce their financial reports I think but it's tricky to work out unless you know what you're looking at.

So we should forget your suggestions of "if "we could get Jansen "if" we could get Earnshaw, every thing is an if, this no different, besides how do you know he isn't after someone else? "If" only we knew there'd be a lot less "if's" posted on here.

Let's just hope whoever Levein does bring in can add some beleif into the squad!

interesting read for everybody who says we cannot afford the lad

Walsall manager Paul Merson has admitted a bid of around £300,000 would be enough to land Saddlers starlet Matty Fryatt.

The England youth international had been linked with numerous clubs and a price-tag of somewhere approaching £1 million had been mooted.

However, Merson has now revealed that a bid of less than seven figures would suffice.

"I would say that £250,000-£300,000 would be about right, but there would have to be quite a few add-ons to take the price up if he did well and scored goals," he said.

"All the players here have been told that if they do well and big clubs come in for them then we won't stand in their way.

"I would say that £1m is too much.

"It's a lot of money to pay unless you are Chelsea, Manchester Utd or Arsenal and, no disrespect to Matty those kind of clubs aren't going to come in for him at this stage.

"Having said that, it's a really hard one to judge because people are talking about Izale McLeod at Milton Keynes as a £1m player.

"If he's worth £1m then so is Matty because Matty is a better all-round player than him."

"McLeod might have an extra yard of pace but in terms of his all round game Matty is much better."

Merson also admitted that Preston have enquired about Fryatt and he may consider a swap with loan star Eric Skora.

"I talked to Preston a couple of weeks ago, they were interested in Fryatt and I'm interested in Skora," said Merson

[..] Merson also admitted that Preston have enquired about Fryatt and he may consider a swap with loan star Eric Skora.

"I talked to Preston a couple of weeks ago, they were interested in Fryatt and I'm interested in Skora," said Merson

:sweating:

Just because it hasn't been announced that he's signed doesn't mean he's not. At this point I suspect he'll have made his mind up. Merson said that the players going out would complete their transfers on Monday. I don't know why they picked this day but when you think about it not many transfers really happen on the weekend. I'd say Fryatt has already chosen a club by now, we're just going to have to employ patience while waiting to find out who he chose.

He got that figure from the same place you got the view that it's more likely that Sheffield Wednesday paid a lot less than £200K just because it has been undisclosed. I've stated in another thread why it may have been undisclosed. Undisclosed does not necessarily mean we lost money on him. It means the fee will not be disclosed to the public.

He plucked that figure out of thin air: 200-250k has not been stated anywhere.

I based my theory that Sheff Wednesday paid less than £200k on common sense and basic business understanding. You say there are lots of reasons for a transfer fee being undisclosed, which I do not dispute one bit.

But, answer me this: If you were the Sheff Wednesday manager/chairman/a board director, would you sanction the purchase of Peter Gilbert for £200k or more when you know that Levein doesn't rate the player, and the fact that Leicester were quick to offload Gilbert as soon as possible? Transferred in during the summer window, transferred out during the winter window.

Plus, do you think Gilbert's value has remained the same after he has only made about 4 appearances, and in each he was woeful?

I do not have proof that Gilbert was sold for a loss, but the circumstantial evidence is more than overwhelming to me. And I'd be prepared to put a lot of money on the fact that Gilbert was sold at a loss...and I'm not even a betting man.

He plucked that figure out of thin air: 200-250k has not been stated anywhere.

I based my theory that Sheff Wednesday paid less than £200k on common sense and basic business understanding. You say there are lots of reasons for a transfer fee being undisclosed, which I do not dispute one bit.

But, answer me this: If you were the Sheff Wednesday manager/chairman/a board director, would you sanction the purchase of Peter Gilbert for £200k or more when you know that Levein doesn't rate the player, and the fact that Leicester were quick to offload Gilbert as soon as possible? Transferred in during the summer window, transferred out during the winter window.

Plus, do you think Gilbert's value has remained the same after he has only made about 4 appearances, and in each he was woeful?

I do not have proof that Gilbert was sold for a loss, but the circumstantial evidence is more than overwhelming to me. And I'd be prepared to put a lot of money on the fact that Gilbert was sold at a loss...and I'm not even a betting man.

Spot on.

[..] But, answer me this: If you were the Sheff Wednesday manager/chairman/a board director, would you sanction the purchase of Peter Gilbert for £200k or more when you know that Levein doesn't rate the player, and the fact that Leicester were quick to offload Gilbert as soon as possible? Transferred in during the summer window, transferred out during the winter window.

Don't forget that Gilbert has been on loan at Sheff Wed for months now, where, to all accounts, he's been playing quite well... they'd be able to judge his value based his performances, irrespective of CL's opinion.

The fact remains that even if we have strong suspicions that he was sold at a loss we'll never know until the figures are revealed. IMO, there's no point in arguing about it, really, on the scale of things it's not that important.

Just because it hasn't been announced that he's signed doesn't mean he's not. At this point I suspect he'll have made his mind up. Merson said that the players going out would complete their transfers on Monday. I don't know why they picked this day but when you think about it not many transfers really happen on the weekend. I'd say Fryatt has already chosen a club by now, we're just going to have to employ patience while waiting to find out who he chose.

You're probably right there, we'll just have to wait and hope!

if he does come then he is going to be under a bit of pressure as fans will see him as a saviour so to speak.

CL having said we need a striker to get us out of trouble.

kind of the opposite to the way Oniell used to work.MON would take the stick , taking the pressure of off his players where as Craig puts the pressure onto the players.

be quite interesting to see if and when he does come who he plays him alongside.

id say hume is currently the best of the strikers we have with elvis being more of an attacking wing player.

if he is bringing fryatt in to be the big guy up front where does that leave Delump?

unless of course , horror of horrors its going to be fryatt and Delump upfront :o

if he does come then he is going to be under a bit of pressure as fans will see him as a saviour so to speak.

CL having said we need a striker to get us out of trouble.

kind of the opposite to the way Oniell used to work.MON would take the stick , taking the pressure of off his players where as Craig puts the pressure onto the players.

be quite interesting to see if and when he does come who he plays him alongside.

id say hume is currently the best of the strikers we have with elvis being more of an attacking wing player.

if he is bringing fryatt in to be the big guy up front where does that leave Delump?

unless of course , horror of horrors its going to be fryatt and Delump upfront :o

I suppose the ultimate aim is to have a variety of options coupled with a degree of cover. It would be nice to believe that all combinations would provide something. As crap as people may think MDV is he's does cause problems and scores against some of the opposition, something the others have not done too much of however many chances we are creating.

MDV as of course had a lot more games than our other strikers.

i think MDV just does not work well with the other kids upfront.

i remember seeing him a couple of times arguing with connoly while he was here while on the pitch.

CL was on Talksport radio at around 11.15 this morning. One of the things he said was that we are looking for a striker.

What he didn't say was that we all but had a deal with someone.

Either he is playing his cards really close to his chest or all the rumours are a bit off the mark and we are not that close to tying anything up.

MDV as of course had a lot more games than our other strikers.

i think MDV just does not work well with the other kids upfront.

i remember seeing him a couple of times arguing with connoly while he was here while on the pitch.

Well Im wasn't trying to prove MDV was better or worse I was just attempting to suggest that variety is important and that I hope Fryatt or whoever we get offers something different, of course some goals would be nice - that would be different :P

Stats can prove anything I know but according to one site they have the following for this season.

Hammond 1580 minutes 3 goals = 1 goal every 526 minutes - Appearances 17 + 13 subs

Hume 1132 minutes 4 goals = 1 goal every 283 minutes - Appearances 12 + 6 subs

MDV 1792 minutes 8 goals = 1 goal every 224 minutes - Appearances 20 + 10 subs

So Hume and MDV are not that different in terms of goals per appearance and they've both had the same ratio of appearances / substitutions. Of course MDV has played a few League Cup games against lower league sides.

CL was on Talksport radio at around 11.15 this morning. One of the things he said was that we are looking for a striker.

What he didn't say was that we all but had a deal with someone.

Either he is playing his cards really close to his chest or all the rumours are a bit off the mark and we are not that close to tying anything up.

It's probably from a few days ago, I doubt he was in the studio today.

Don't know if anyone's seen this yet?

Leicester manager Craig Levein hopes signing a striker can solve the Foxes' goal drought as well as save them from a relegation battle.

The Foxes have taken just one point from the possible 12 over Christmas and new year and have lost three matches on the bounce without scoring a goal, last winning in late November.

And an alarming slide down the Coca-Cola Championship table sees the club now just one place and a single point outside the relegation zone.

The contrast with Tottenham, who will provide Sunday's FA Cup third-round opposition at the Walkers Stadium, could hardly be more stark with Spurs having plundered 31 goals in 21 Premiership fixtures.

But Levein is hoping for a definitive answer from his preferred transfer target within 24 hours.

And he said: "We've been working on deals for the last six to eight weeks, because when you see your strikers missing chances then the alarm bells start ringing.

"So I asked for a board meeting that was scheduled for January 10 to be brought forward and it's fair to say the board are not happy about the situation we're in and they're worried about relegation.

"But I received their approval to try to bring in a new striker.

"We're chasing players in three categories - players who we can buy, experienced players we can sign on loan or young players we can sign on loan.

"Buying players has an obvious financial side to it and the trouble with getting in experienced players on loan, especially from Premiership clubs, is the loaning club might well have paid a big fee for the player and also be paying big money so they're looking to recoup some of that."

And the City boss confessed the club were still struggling to recover from the loss of the sale of David Connolly, who was sold to Wigan in August after scoring four goals in five matches for Leicester at the start of the season.

"Losing David Connolly was a real kick in the teeth for us because he would have scored a lot of goals," Levein said.

"But once David knew a Premiership club were in for him, I was beaten.

"I could have told David he couldn't go to Wigan but what would have been the point of keeping him here? What would I have got out of him after that?

"And David's a very strong-willed character. He came to me in the summer and told me he wanted to play in the Premiership so I told him that's where I wanted to take the club.

"But once Wigan came in that was it, although it was a very lucrative deal for us because we got a £2million fee and we'll get another £1million if Wigan stay in the Premiership, which they look like they're going to do.

"So maybe I should phone up Paul Jewell and ask if I can have that last £1million right now!"

Archived