Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perv: The Sexual Deviant in All of Us

Too little science, too much self reflection... meh

I have been plowing through this for a couple of weeks... (with a brain releasing  break for the above).
Blowout

Amazing really and yep its Maddow, nevertheless the facts stand up. Its a long, winding and in-depth look at USA, Russia, Ukraine, central America.. so much stuff

e.g.
"Until recently, earthquakes in Oklahoma were few and far between. In 2010, the state experienced just 41 tremors. 

But “seismic activity has surged in [Oklahoma] in recent years,” In the last few years, Oklahoma has weathered hundreds of significant quakes each year, along with parts of several other Midwestern states.

“Scientists link the quake boom to the widespread oil industry practice of pumping waste fluid into underground disposal wells,”

Edited by ozleicester

On 16/01/2020 at 04:30, ozleicester said:

Perv: The Sexual Deviant in All of Us

Too little science, too much self reflection... meh

I have been plowing through this for a couple of weeks... (with a brain releasing  break for the above).
Blowout

Amazing really and yep its Maddow, nevertheless the facts stand up. Its a long, winding and in-depth look at USA, Russia, Ukraine, central America.. so much stuff

Have you ever read Daniel Yergin's 'The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power'. 

A really illuminating book, it charts the development of the global petroleum industry from the 1850s through to 1990. As it details the geopolitical machinations of the state actors involved in the industry, sure it would be useful companion piece to Blowout.

And vice versa for Blowout. Thanks, I'll give Maddow a shot.

Edited by swanlee

5 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Have you ever read Daniel Yergin's 'The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power'. 

A really illuminating book, it charts the development of the global petroleum industry from the 1850s through to 1990. As it details the geopolitical machinations of the state actors involved in the industry, sure it would be useful companion piece to Blowout.

And vice versa for Blowout. Thanks, I'll have give Maddow a shot.

thanks, ill look for The Prize :)

This goes off the geek scale. But as someone who spent many years sitting in a dusty science lab at Charles Keene College of FE playing around with Newtonian & Euclidean doodles, I found it utterly engrossing.

And while some of it seemed a little unfathomable, hey even Einstein had some issues with the concepts ..... so no worries.

71NIM452UrL.jpg

• Like 1

2369DBC5-A548-4E51-AED2-4615CC94C8AD.jpeg.a6ec8d7855c58ea0de127a8513d8f70e.jpeg

Britton is one of the country's leading criminal psychologists and offender profilers. Dubbed The real-life Cracker, he has assisted the police in over 100 cases including the murders of Jamie Bulger and Rachel Nickell.

51999C45-3090-4038-A63E-D5FE0B1132B3.thumb.jpeg.212a42d55a959172987dc9a9197f909e.jpeg

Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster is a 1997 bestselling non-fiction book written by Jon Krakauer. It details Krakauer's experience in the 1996 Mount Everest disaster, in which eight climbers were killed and several others were stranded by a storm

Edited by E.Rose
  • Like 1

Guest seanfox778
10 hours ago, swanlee said:

This goes off the geek scale. But as someone who spent many years sitting in a dusty science lab at Charles Keene College of FE playing around with Newtonian & Euclidean doodles, I found it utterly engrossing.

And while some of it seemed a little unfathomable, hey even Einstein had some issues with the concepts ..... so no worries.

71NIM452UrL.jpg

I just ordered this, looks great. 

Douglas Murray with his second book - as always excellent and he's probably the best right leaning intellectual on this subject.

A intelligent and researched look into identity politics and the mob enforcement needed behind it, the drive towards society trying to forget what it knows and replace it with things it's still learning about. Delves further into the causes and arguments among the "woke left" itself as it goes on.

IMG_20200130_114330.jpg

Been trying to get my fix of fantasy after still feeling truly betrayed by the shit ending of Game of Thrones. Dived back into books and read the first two Witcher books. I really enjoyed them and the program actually did a half decent job of adapting it. Obviously things are changed and missing but it could have been worse.

Currently reading the First Law Trilogy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Law-Trilogy-Boxed-Set/dp/1473213703 

Wow what great books. I've read the first two books within this month and now on to the third book. It has some similarities to Game of thrones and it's the same genre as that (Grimdark fantasy). Characters are fantastic and the story is a great little journey so far. Highly recommend reading it if anyone enjoys Game of Thrones/ASOIAF. 

All that literature,being mentioned through this topic, has nothing to compare with Foxestalk....

Drama,humour,sci-fi,supernatural,undying Love & faith. Horror,backstabbing,opinionated through all spheres.

Fiction & non-ficton, banning- orders..Witty,droll & dry. One will be pulled in by both Laughter & tears.

One is Driven to the highest of emotions... then suddenly dropped then  plunged into the deepest Dark corners of frustration.

Feisty women,who can hold their own against all the blaggards,and fan for a weekend,tospots..Spy-out easily the likes of the 5th columnist who

roaming amongst us ,come  to spread tittle tattle and try to destroy from within...with negative demi-god slander....

laying  Wrath to the calm brave Lads n lassies....

Who  fearlessly hold the  Light to the path of our Deep consciousness free to achieve

that so easily squandered  journey Discovering the Mysteries of the Holy-grail.

Heroes who bring the chill factor, to Breath and live those positive vibes while holding  prudent vigil..

It is a Good Companion to have at your side,even for work,travel and  ,for holidays .Foxestalk draws you in,to turn every page,every waking moment,

and then dares you to Fall asleep,to catch up on your worst nightmares....

Actually...

Based on a True story..

Just finished this... remarkable to think it was written 40 years ago and we have slipped further back since...  i had to lol when he mentioned using his methods in Leicestershire if the late 70s, so if you wen to school mid to late 70s Leicester you may have had a breif introduction to it.
Image result for how children learn

On 25/01/2020 at 23:46, swanlee said:

mmm ..... the wave function! I hope U enjoy ....  but wtf is if all about?!

The wave function collapse is the single most important unanswered question in our world and one which physicists seem to skip over quickly.

Either observing/making measurements is fundamentally different to what we have believed for ever and has effects that we cannot currently understand,

or the act of observation is instrumental in what we perceive as reality ie without observation there is no "reality".

The more I read and understand about quantum mechanics  the more convinced I am that reality as we would like to think of it is an illusion, that past present and future are one thing and the "future" is just as likely to influence the past as vice versa.

I am amazed that billions isn't spent on trying to figure this out but maybe the answer is too disturbing to accept!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Realjimbo said:

The wave function collapse is the single most important unanswered question in our world and one which physicists seem to skip over quickly.

Either observing/making measurements is fundamentally different to what we have believed for ever and has effects that we cannot currently understand,

or the act of observation is instrumental in what we perceive as reality ie without observation there is no "reality".

The more I read and understand about quantum mechanics  the more convinced I am that reality as we would like to think of it is an illusion, that past present and future are one thing and the "future" is just as likely to influence the past as vice versa.

I am amazed that billions isn't spent on trying to figure this out but maybe the answer is too disturbing to accept!

Many years ago, a long, long time ago, I did know my way around a scientific calculator. Thus I have no problems with pages of equations or a scientific theory based on sound logical principles.

But the philosophical implications of the collapsing wave function and the conjecture around observation & measurement certainly presented challenges.

Maybe the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics was not the best starting point? That said, I did thoroughly enjoy Carroll's book.

15 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Many years ago, a long, long time ago, I did know my way around a scientific calculator. Thus I have no problems with pages of equations or a scientific theory based on sound logical principles.

But the philosophical implications of the collapsing wave function and the conjecture around observation & measurement certainly presented challenges.

Maybe the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics was not the best starting point? That said, I did thoroughly enjoy Carroll's book.

Dean Carroll is one of the outstanding science communicators of our time, like Sagan (gone far too soon) a brilliant mind in his field too, I thoroughly recommend his TED and Google talks.

• Thanks 1