Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

On 14/06/2020 at 21:50, swanlee said:

Sacrilegious ..... Bukowski depressing. The man lived his art. Love all his stuff.

But I have never got round to Ulysses. And that's because of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Pretty impenetrable and what's it about? A strict catholic upbringing, and the conflicting delights of masturbation & alcohol! What an effort.

With Kerouac I think it's the stylistic nature of his writing. Impromptu & innovative, it was the first time US literature had been written in that way. Also the subject matter, drugs, dropouts, jazz.

That said, I read it years ago, when I was a teenager, and wasn't overly impressed. Like you say zeitgeist and passable. 

Sorry.

Admittedly it was a very long time ago that I read Bukowski but I remember feeling bored and jaded with all the hedonism.  There seemed to be a complete lack of any thoughfulness, charm or humanity from what I remember.  Just remember wading through lots of LA piss ups and piss ups generally are a bit like dreams.  They can be spectacular in person but there's nothing more boring than hearing about someone else's.

Joe Abercrombie - A Little Hatred. If you enjoyed Game of Thrones or any type of "grimdark" fantasy books then the series by Joe Abercrombie is a must read. The first book is called The Blade Itself and i'd reccomend starting there. I was feeling a bit sad about Game of thrones being a let down and the books not being finished either. This kinda feels like Game of thrones if you followed a lot of the side characters rather than all of the main ones.  The newest book a little hatred is brilliant.

Also listened to Assassins Apprentice on Audible by Robert Hobb. Wasn't massively into it. It wasn't terrible but a bit slow and not a great deal happens. Feels a bit like a Slice of Life book. 

• Like 1

On 18/06/2020 at 09:23, murphy said:

Sorry.

Admittedly it was a very long time ago that I read Bukowski but I remember feeling bored and jaded with all the hedonism.  There seemed to be a complete lack of any thoughfulness, charm or humanity from what I remember.  Just remember wading through lots of LA piss ups and piss ups generally are a bit like dreams.  They can be spectacular in person but there's nothing more boring than hearing about someone else's.

No need to apologise. Not for everyone. 

Not sure what you read? As admittedly some of his stuff can be hit and miss and only for the hard-core fan.

Written when he was hungry, I always recommend the first two books to the uninitiated. No LA piss-ups in those. Just a succession of dreary dead-beat & dead-end jobs, frustrated artistic endeavour, a failed relationship or two and obviously alcoholic escapism.

And you are right, nihilistic & vacuous, there's not a lot of thoughtfulness. There is however a warmth that comes through in his earlier work (before the LA glitz) and I think its this and the sense of an individual's total abandonment that is beguiling & intrigues.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Recently finished "I robot" by Peter Crouch. Quite a thin book but contains a lot of insight into the life of a professional footballer. 

Fair Warning by Michael Connelly. Superb as always. 

Not exactly reading but I subscribed to the Audible app and I’ve listened a couple and they’ve been fine.

I Love Camilla Lackberg’s Scandinavian crime novels but I’m listening to The Gilded Cage and it’s just not working as an audiobook. 

I'm reading the A Song Of Ice & Fire series (Game Of Thrones). 

I'm a big fan of the TV show and am coupling the reading of each book by watching the corresponding season afterwards. Finished book 1 and am watching the series.

Very enjoyable stuff. The books are very well written. 

I am loving this book, but im unable to explain why.

Book: Born to Run + bonus poster: Backstreet Records

I would recommend it to everyone..  but again im not sure what makes it so involving, he is clearly a musical genius, but so humble, so driven but not that obsessive type... i just dont know... but read it, or better still listen to the audio, read by the man himself :)

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 2

Don't normally read too many novels but I've just finished reading The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. Really really really good, really emotional (I don't get emotional at much), comforting and thought-provoking, particularly good read if your heads not in the right place at the moment.