Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:26, Foxxed said:

Charles Bukowski - Ham on Rye

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham_on_Rye

He was one of the main authors of the beat generation. It's very nihilistic, the story of a dead beat, apparently his most famous novel and semi autobiographical too.

It's very well written, and you can see and feel the whys and hows he turns out how he does and it vividly paints his abusive  dad, suffering mum and his brief friends and it sugar coats nothing - the opposite really. 

I'm glad I read it but I'm not sure I'll read his other stuff unless it's recommended but he's certainly a great and interesting American writer with a vivid if bleak outlook who you want to listen to.

Dont know if you would put Bukowski in with the beats.  He personally had a bit of disdain for them, although I think I read he softened on Kerouac later on in life and conceded that Kerouac is in fact a boss

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently near the end of "The Club" - How the Premier League Became the Richest, Most Disruptive Business in Sport.

Brand new and a brilliant insight into not only the formation of the league (though there's been so much analysis of this over the years it's nothing new) but also insights into individual club's ownership and the pitfalls. Touches on us winning the league but doesn't dwell, looking at the broader picture of how the top six made sure to stop it happening again, but equally how our win propelled the league to even greater heights.

Also read For Love or Money: Manchester United and England - The Business of Winning? literally just before the book above, which is 20 years old but a cracking retrospective read. (especially as I was nine when the book was published) It's about how Man Utd became to be the powerhouse they were by the treble winning season, but also again a look at the formation of the PL and, importantly, an insight into the England team circa 97-99 and Hoddle's sacking. I never knew the FA were going to back him after the disabled comments until he refused to cut Eileen Drewery loose.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Reading/listening to a couple at the moment...

image.jpeg.d3869eccf5be9f582a821df69bf3f0a5.jpeg

Not the most entertaining or explanatory one about FIFA i imagine... ploughing through.

image.jpeg.73ef6151bc4db2c1a706e54a4d0c4402.jpeg

Amazing book, highly recommend very interesting.

Edited by ozleicester

7 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Thread on interesting books people have read started 13 years ago - 44 pages

Thread on whether Maguire is leaving started 4 months ago - 252 pages

There's an inverse correlation there.

Just wait until...........Me and Ed - by H Maguire, is released :)

On 28/03/2019 at 03:04, ozleicester said:

amazing

Image result for incognito brain book

I've got an earlier copier of that - fantastic book I couldn't put down. Anyone into psychology and neuroscience should definitely read it.

I'm reading this at the minute...

41MjrkhkEVL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks to a recommendation in the depression thread (can't remember who so apologies for lack of credit).

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A few weeks back, I had a hankering for a bit more classic literature, and Amazon does a good cheap line in these. 

Whizzed through a collection of short Sherlock Holmes stories which were great. I should have got into SH before now as I really like detective shows, particularly Columbo and Poirot. 

Currently in the middle of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. It's enjoyable but very dry at times, going into endless descriptions of marine biology. 

After that I have The Three Musketeers to tackle. It's a bloody big book, not sure if I have the willpower for it now! 

Any other recommendations that aren't too heavy but are enjoyable?

And for Harry Potter fans, I recently read the play book of The Cursed Child. It's in a script form, but essentially reads just like a Harry Potter book once you're used to the format. Very good it is too. 

Edited by The Bear

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

A few weeks back, I had a hankering for a bit more classic literature, and Amazon does a good cheap line in these. 

Whizzed through a collection of short Sherlock Holmes stories which were great. I should have got into SH before now as I really like detective shows, particularly Columbo and Poirot. 

Currently in the middle of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. It's enjoyable but very dry at times, going into endless descriptions of marine biology. 

After that I have The Three Musketeers to tackle. It's a bloody big book, not sure if I have the willpower for it now! 

Any other recommendations that aren't too heavy but are enjoyable?

And for Harry Potter fans, I recently read the play book of The Cursed Child. It's in a script form, but essentially reads just like a Harry Potter book once you're used to the format. Very good it is too. 

When it's about a week before xmas,get A christhmas carol going.Do it every year now!

• Like 2

Try some of the classic American literature if you can @TheBear

Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are great by Twain, Catcher in the Rye by Salinger, Great Gatsby if you haven't seen one of the films (ruins the imagination) are all good places to start.