Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Charles Bukowski - Ham on Rye

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham_on_Rye

He was one of the main authors of the beat generation. It's very nihilistic, the story of a dead beat, apparently his most famous novel and semi autobiographical too.

It's very well written, and you can see and feel the whys and hows he turns out how he does and it vividly paints his abusive  dad, suffering mum and his brief friends and it sugar coats nothing - the opposite really. 

I'm glad I read it but I'm not sure I'll read his other stuff unless it's recommended but he's certainly a great and interesting American writer with a vivid if bleak outlook who you want to listen to.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

what did you think... i started it, but it seemed...umm.. i dunno, it just seemed saccharine-y?

I'm struggling with it Oz tbh. Only on Rule #3/12 and finding it hard going.

Peterson is obviously highly intelligent but for me he says 100 words when 20 would do (but I'm a bit simple)

I'll stick with it though as I've heard so many good things and Rule 1 & 2 did actually resonate with me (eventually)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Image result for DAvid hookes book

interesting look behind this event

I wasn't even aware of his death until you posted this. I remember him as a stylish left-handed batsman (no. 4/5?) for the Aussies - a bit like the Aussie David Gower in style, as I recall.

What's your verdict, then, Oz? Did he bring it on himself, was it a freak accident or was it a miscarriage of justice?

I gather that Micevic was the bouncer who punched him during a stupid altercation, leading to Hookes' death - and that Micevic was subsequently acquitted.

Rubicon, about the end of the Roman Republic. Written in a well-paced and accessible way but still quite in depth. I bought it mostly because I drove up to the Rubicone river while in Emilia Romagna last year (in some crappy Italian backwater town) and thought about crossing it (it's pretty shallow) until I saw all the broken glass and cans.

• Like 1

I've been reading a lot of free kindle books recently. Most of them have just been okay or worse in which case I stopped, after all they cost nothing.

Quite enjoyed SW Hubbard novels about Frank Bennett.

Just finished "Dead mens trousers" the latest featuring the Trainspotting crew.

Set in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, London, LA & Berlin it has more of a global feel.

Unfortunately one of the original characters does not make it to the end of the story, but all part of the plot.

Irvine Welsh still as gruesome as ever. Plenty of shocking, sad, happy & hilarious moments to keep you page turning. Irvine Welsh fans won't be disappointed.

56 minutes ago, FIF said:

I've been reading a lot of free kindle books recently. Most of them have just been okay or worse in which case I stopped, after all they cost nothing.

Quite enjoyed SW Hubbard novels about Frank Bennett.

I just couldn't get on with Kindle at all.

I tried it when the Book-Burner General banned me from buying any more books until I got rid of some (Yeah, like that was going to happen - I just moved some to the attic lol). For some reason, my idea of putting a big shed on the lawn to act as a library was met with substantial resistance...

8 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I wasn't even aware of his death until you posted this. I remember him as a stylish left-handed batsman (no. 4/5?) for the Aussies - a bit like the Aussie David Gower in style, as I recall.

What's your verdict, then, Oz? Did he bring it on himself, was it a freak accident or was it a miscarriage of justice?

I gather that Micevic was the bouncer who punched him during a stupid altercation, leading to Hookes' death - and that Micevic was subsequently acquitted.

Its a very interesting situation and the book looks almost more at the media and trial than the actual event. 

What i found interesting was...

The two completely different stories told by "the cricketers" and "The security staff" there was collusion and outright lies by one of the two groups.

The OZ media's protection of one of their own, I grew up around and at the same time as Hooksey, he was an excitement machine when playing, but he was not the innocent goody goody they portrayed... they hid his girlfriend (he was with on the night) from the oz public, they hid of much his personality. 

In the end the book (IMO) didnt answer who was lying, but the court found the bouncer not guilty so i guess i accept that.

• Thanks 1

@Alf Bentley Also the media's treatment of the accused (published his name and address) was disgusting, a national "hero" had been killed and the media reporting  was very biased and put the entire family of the bouncer at risk (an unusual name meant they could easily be targetted... the family house was burnt down, threats against family including children and parents, graffiti all around the suburb he  (the bouncer) lived in. 

The media were appalling and the people who lied to the court disgusting

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Buce said:

I just couldn't get on with Kindle at all.

I tried it when the Book-Burner General banned me from buying any more books until I got rid of some (Yeah, like that was going to happen - I just moved some to the attic lol). For some reason, my idea of putting a big shed on the lawn to act as a library was met with substantial resistance...

I didn't think that I would. The feel and smell of a book is unique but the ease and simplicity of a paperwhite is fantastic, the backlight means that I can read anywhere and at anytime and the ability to change the size or type of the letters has meant that I don't need to squint as my eyes deteriorate. The capacity and durability of the battery is also very good. I'm a convert and even managed to convert my wife, which is a miracle. It also saves me a lot of money. I only buy certain "forever" books now.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I didn't think that I would. The feel and smell of a book is unique but the ease and simplicity of a paperwhite is fantastic, the backlight means that I can read anywhere and at anytime and the ability to change the size or type of the letters has meant that I don't need to squint as my eyes deteriorate. The capacity and durability of the battery is also very good. I'm a convert and even managed to convert my wife, which is a miracle. It also saves me a lot of money. I only buy certain "forever" books now.

My biggest complaint is the quality - or lack thereof - of the transcription; a book is proofread before going to print, but it doesn't appear that Kindle copies are. One book I attempted to read was so riddled with errors that it was unreadable.

3 hours ago, Buce said:

My biggest complaint is the quality - or lack thereof - of the transcription; a book is proofread before going to print, but it doesn't appear that Kindle copies are. One book I attempted to read was so riddled with errors that it was unreadable.

I've read a lot of kindle books and had very few problems. They should be proof read.

35 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I've only read "The Old Man and The Sea" which stayed with me a long time after I read it. I probably should read more Hemmingway so am also welcome for any recomendations

Looks like the perfect starter to be honest as a short story.

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

Looks like the perfect starter to be honest as a short story.

yeah I really enjoyed it. I was on the beach in Cuba at the time (appropriately enough for a Hemmingway).

On a wider point I really need to get back to reading. Spend so much time reading crap on social media. Need to invest that time more wisely and read again!

On 15/01/2019 at 15:19, MattP said:

Where do I start with Hemingway? Any recommendations?

Give For Whom The Bell Tolls a try. 

Imagery is great, the language you have to get s bit used to - but I think you’ll like the political backdrop to the story! 

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:04, stripeyfox said:

I've only read "The Old Man and The Sea" which stayed with me a long time after I read it. I probably should read more Hemmingway so am also welcome for any recomendations

Old Man and The Sea is just about perfect as a thing.  My first Hemingway book and you'd never look back after reading that

• 3 weeks later...