Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

12 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Unsure if there’s a thread for this (I’m sure there is somewhere). 

Want to buy my old man a book for his birthday, LCFC related. Any suggestions?

If it has not been suggested yet... "Of Fossils and Foxes" (the definitive history of City) is INCREDIBLE. From day one until.. last year.. everything

• Thanks 1

On 22/03/2020 at 16:58, Leeds Fox said:

Unsure if there’s a thread for this (I’m sure there is somewhere). 

Want to buy my old man a book for his birthday, LCFC related. Any suggestions?

The Mixer: The Story of Premier League Tactics, from Route One to False Nines
by Michael Cox

I really enjoyed the above, it details the development of Premier League tactics over 25 years.

Not about LCFC per se, but an entire chapter is dedicated to us. No prizes for guessing which season.........

............:claudio:

• Thanks 1

"I’ve just been in Blur’s dressing room, and I must tell you that Damon Albarn has got the most enormous cock. Alex James, he’s got quite a large cock, Dave Rowntree has got a small cock. But Graham Coxon, oh dear, he’s got nothing at all, not a thing, bless him. Lovely bloke, though."
- Matt Lucas opening for Blur in Brighton on 19 September 1995, via Vox, January 1996

90846181_1544067819083124_7709106412420333568_n.jpg

Guest MattP

The Pilgrims Progress - always wanted to read it to see what all fuss is about.

If I turn into a devout Christian you know why.

27 minutes ago, MattP said:

The Pilgrims Progress - always wanted to read it to see what all fuss is about.

If I turn into a devout Christian you know why.

Careful Matt there’s a bad track record of being radicalised by books written in prison... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Never get the time to read as much as I like so treated myself to a kindle oasis and set myself the task of reading ten books this year, just finished the ninth. Some are audio books from my library via bilingual so a bit of a cheat but still, they’re books.

My favourites were, the eulogist, Moskva, nightfall Berlin, Schindler's List.

Also the murmur of bees was very good,  which during the course of the story covers the Spanish flu. It got me thinking how I would have protected my family and question why others didn’t take themselves and their families away from the danger as the family in the story did. Then coronavirus hits us and you realise that things aren’t as simple as that, I need to work, I don’t have anywhere else to go and it gives an insight, although in very different times, the problems that people faced during that period of time. 

Others I read/listened to were, the girl in the woods, a raid over Berlin, the butterfly man and yellow star.

I’m currently reading the road back by Erich Remarque, the sequel to all quiet on the western front and covers the boys as they return from war and the difficulties they face in reconnecting with society of returning from war. So far very good. 

Edited by Vlad the Fox

On 10/03/2020 at 15:47, oakman said:

Nearly finished The Death of Grass by John Christopher. Post-apocalyptic novel written in 1956 - grasses and crops worldwide are killed by a virus and the book follows a group of survivors travelling across England. Pretty enjoyable read (if you like that sort of thing).

Grass.jpg

I like the look of this and have added it to my list.

Today, nothing.

I have spent the whole week preparing thousands of documents for distribution to three other people and myself so that we can work from home.

Skimming an engineering database with over a third of a million drawings, parts lists and every other document we could possibly need has done in my brain.

While I still can, I am going for a walk!

10 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

I would definitely recommend this if you are a fan of Goodfellas. 

I'd not come across the author before but I'm going to have a look at some of his other books, all true crime/drugs/prison type of books... 

515pAZoBjrL.jpg

He first appeared on 'Banged up Abroad' (I think) telling his own real life story of how he was a normal lad from Widnes who moved to America and started to supply Ecstacy in order to recreate the UK club scene. He became really successful until he was arrested and spent a few years in US jails.

He's got a decent Youtube channel interviewing all sorts of criminals and drug dealers etc. Though he's now branching off a bit and becoming more of an all-round 'activist' type, even going over the same sort of anti-establishment ground that David Icke mainly does these days. He's a likeable bloke, and he's often on with his mate 'Wildman' who's got a few good stories to tell too!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Never get the time to read as much as I like so treated myself to a kindle oasis and set myself the task of reading ten books this year, just finished the ninth. Some are audio books from my library via bilingual so a bit of a cheat but still, they’re books.

My favourites were, the eulogist, Moskva, nightfall Berlin, Schindler's List.

Also the murmur of bees was very good,  which during the course of the story covers the Spanish flu. It got me thinking how I would have protected my family and question why others didn’t take themselves and their families away from the danger as the family in the story did. Then coronavirus hits us and you realise that things aren’t as simple as that, I need to work, I don’t have anywhere else to go and it gives an insight, although in very different times, the problems that people faced during that period of time. 

Others I read/listened to were, the girl in the woods, a raid over Berlin, the butterfly man and yellow star.

I’m currently reading the road back by Erich Remarque, the sequel to all quiet on the western front and covers the boys as they return from war and the difficulties they face in reconnecting with society of returning from war. So far very good. 

Keeping with that theme you have going on Vlad i'm about to start reading The Volunteer, it takes someone extraordinary to willingly go in to that hell to help others

image.jpeg.259cf7e98603792b54e24bdeb6092ae7.jpeg

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 2

On 22/03/2020 at 17:20, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

After recently visiting the Anne Frank museum in Amsterdam I’ve now got her diary to read.

Putting things into perspective to what is currently happening in the world today, 

she and 7 others spent over 2 years in hiding. 

Have been myself. and i agree

21 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Keeping with that theme you have going on Vlad i'm about to start reading The Volunteer, it takes someone extraordinary to willingly go in to that hell to help others

I read the below book last year. In his own words, Karski relates his experiences in wartime Poland and outlines his roles within the polish underground. This included being smuggled into the Warsaw ghetto and the infiltration of a transit camp disguised as an Estonian guard.

In the main he operated as a liaison with the Polish government-in-exile. Making several journeys from Poland to France, to the UK & US. As such he was able to provide the western allies first-hand accounts of the situation within Poland and the plight of the European Jews.

Gentlemanly & faintly aloof, he also comes across as being extremely humble & extraordinarily brave.  

image.jpg

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, swanlee said:

I read the below book last year. In his own words, Karski relates his experiences in wartime Poland and outlines his roles within the polish underground. This included being smuggled into the Warsaw ghetto and the infiltration of a transit camp disguised as an Estonian guard.

In the main he operated as a liaison with the Polish government-in-exile. Making several journeys from Poland to France, to the UK & US. As such he was able to provide the western allies first-hand accounts of the situation within Poland and the plight of the European Jews.

Gentlemanly & faintly aloof, he also comes across as being extremely humble & extraordinarily brave.  

image.jpg

Great. Will try and find online. I don't think this one would be bedtime reading.

When all this sh1t settles down there will be quite a few horrific stories coming out of China.

Not just the wet markets, coronavirus and the lies of the Chinese politburo (I keep calling them that and I ought to find out what their real title is).

The latest story in the latest few days is that the Chinese one child per couple policy has caught up on them. They are now faced with an ageing population and millions more men than women, because since the seventies female foetuses have been aborted to satisfy the preference of the Chinese for male children. Now there is the sinister 'Breed-ready' database of young women suitable for bearing children and rampant trafficking of young ethnic Chinese women from other countries.

19 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

Great. Will try and find online. I don't think this one would be bedtime reading.

When all this sh1t settles down there will be quite a few horrific stories coming out of China.

Not just the wet markets, coronavirus and the lies of the Chinese politburo (I keep calling them that and I ought to find out what their real title is).

The latest story in the latest few days is that the Chinese one child per couple policy has caught up on them. They are now faced with an ageing population and millions more men than women, because since the seventies female foetuses have been aborted to satisfy the preference of the Chinese for male children. Now there is the sinister 'Breed-ready' database of young women suitable for bearing children and rampant trafficking of young ethnic Chinese women from other countries.

I hope you locate a copy and enjoy. It really is an illuminating read.

And yes China. I hate to think what lockdown in Wuhan looks like. Here (at the moment) we're all being asked to stay at home, self isolate & socially distance ourselves. It's all very terribly British, oh so polite and well observed.

And did you by chance catch the Reggie Yates China documentary series on the BBC last year. In one episode he goes to a park where single men (or their mums!) advertise themselves as available on signs / notices they pin up. These 'lonely heart markets' are quite common apparently. Given the one child policy, there are now an awful lot of lonely chinese bachelors with little or no chance of finding a partner. Sadly as well, most of the women in the park were simply window shopping and were there in the main just to have a giggle.

And I think you are right. There's the President, the National People's Congress and the State Council. These are the three executive bodies that effectively legislate & govern China. However the power really lies with the Politburo Standing Commitee.

• Thanks 1