Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

7 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

If not already on your list then for atmospheric classics I recommend Oh, whistle, and I'll come to you, my lad! by MR James.  Only a short story but very good and definitely a classic.  

I have long owned but not really read MR James - Collected Ghost Stories, which includes the "Oh Whistle.." story. Now you've piqued my interest..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

I have long owned but not really read MR James - Collected Ghost Stories, which includes the "Oh Whistle.." story. Now you've piqued my interest..

They're absolutely superb, probably the best horror stories I've read. 

• Like 1

Watching some of the Star Wars TV series recently and considering the scope the world has for interesting stories, I was wondering if anyone here has read any Star Wars books and has recommendations? 

Having a quick look, it seems the universe has inspired a good few books. 😅

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

Interested.  Is the writing style Conan Doyle esque or has the author gone for a completely different approach? 

Yes it's fairly close to Conan Doyle's style, but obviously that was written from Dr Watson's perspective. This is from the young girl's perspective. Still very similar though, just through different eyes. Well worth a read, and there's a whole series of them if you like it. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started on Bob Mortimer's novel The Satsuma Complex over the weekend. Only a few chapters in but already enjoyable. If you like Bob you'll enjoy this, his personality and comedy comes through in the writing.

61Nc0i31m2L.thumb.jpg.a3ac8255fe1448c484fc54163bbc54d5.jpg

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Berlin: The Downfall: 1945 (Audio Download): Antony Beevor, Peter Noble,  Penguin Audio: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Pretty grim reading in the main. 

Probably should contribute something properly too as his works are excellent.  That, Stalingrad and the work he did with Artemis Cooper in "Paris After the Liberation" are some of the best books I've read regarding WW2.

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Probably should contribute something properly too as his works are excellent.  That, Stalingrad and the work he did with Artemis Cooper in "Paris After the Liberation" are some of the best books I've read regarding WW2.

Yeah, I read Ardennes a number of years ago but haven't read those you've mentioned there. On the list though! 

20 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah, I read Ardennes a number of years ago but haven't read those you've mentioned there. On the list though! 

The most recent of his I read was Crete, mainly because I'd got through his others on the 'bigger' conflicts of WW2.  Superb author.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...