Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like a recommendation please 🙏 

I’m just drawing to a close on a truly excellent book The Magus by John Fowles…. I started last summer, but didn’t finish it before the end of my holiday in Greece and promised myself I’d hold on to the final half for my next holiday in Greece and now into the final coupe of chapters…. I’ve read a few other things (mainly fiction for me)

It’s an astoundingly good book…. Incredible writing, great story telling and highly thought provoking 

My other favourite recent read was the shadow of the wind by Zafron - a wonderful story

So, two recommendations from me…. If I like those books, what else might I like?

On 23/07/2023 at 20:31, Wolfox said:

I’m just drawing to a close on a truly excellent book The Magus by John Fowles…. I started last summer, but didn’t finish it before the end of my holiday in Greece and promised myself I’d hold on to the final half for my next holiday in Greece and now into the final coupe of chapters…. I’ve read a few other things (mainly fiction for me)

It’s an astoundingly good book…. Incredible writing, great story telling and highly thought provoking 

My other favourite recent read was the shadow of the wind by Zafron - a wonderful story

So, two recommendations from me…. If I like those books, what else might I like?

TBH id recomend going to goodreads and putting them into it.. That site usually puts a few decent suggestions.

• Thanks 1

On 23/07/2023 at 13:31, Wolfox said:

The Magus is exceptional. No recommendations, but glad to see someone else read that wonderful book. 

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

TBH id recomend going to goodreads and putting them into it.. That site usually puts a few decent suggestions.

I’ve seen that…. Will have to have a further investigation…. Thank you

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

The Magus is exceptional. No recommendations, but glad to see someone else read that wonderful book. 

It’s incredible…. I wish I’d read it as a younger man maybe?!  Easily one of the very best books I’ve read…. Fowles is a genius!  Reading it in Greece helped to build the atmosphere inside my head too!

Anyway, in the end I went for - all the light we cannot see - Anthony Doerr - really good so far

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chernobyl 01:23:40 by Andrew Leatherbarrow. It's the incredible story of the nuclear disaster in 1986. The numbers in the title refer to the exact time on April 26th of that year when the emergency shutdown button on Reactor No.4 was pressed, causing the permanent evacuation of nearby Pripyat due to the intense radiation emitted, which killed thousands of people. Apparently, the catastrophe was caused by a fatal design flaw in the control rods needed to moderate the fission process. They were made of neutron-absorbing boron, but had graphite ends to them, and the graphite caused greatly increased nuclear reactions, instead of the intended reduction. 

• Like 2

Charity shop haul today. 3 books of a 5 book series, the first and last 2 so if it's good I'll have to find the others, and 2 from films and tv that I enjoyed. Should be a nice break from Bosch and inverting the pyramid which is a tough read. 

20230809_164540.jpg

although i no0w realise those 3 at the back might be childrens books but **** it, ill give them a go

Edited by Beliall

On 03/08/2023 at 15:44, String fellow said:

Chernobyl 01:23:40 by Andrew Leatherbarrow. It's the incredible story of the nuclear disaster in 1986. The numbers in the title refer to the exact time on April 26th of that year when the emergency shutdown button on Reactor No.4 was pressed, causing the permanent evacuation of nearby Pripyat due to the intense radiation emitted, which killed thousands of people. Apparently, the catastrophe was caused by a fatal design flaw in the control rods needed to moderate the fission process. They were made of neutron-absorbing boron, but had graphite ends to them, and the graphite caused greatly increased nuclear reactions, instead of the intended reduction. 

I haven't read this one but I have the book by Sergii Plokhii. I have read several of his books which are always thoroughly researched and good reading.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 15:44, String fellow said:

Chernobyl TV series on Sky is worth a watch.   It should be on streaming sites now.  

• Like 1