Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

On 02/01/2023 at 19:21, Line-X said:

I find it frustratingly simplistic in its language and structure. I'm clearly missing something. 

Possibly not. It's a while since I read it but the character's detachment, other world-yness, alienation is perhaps reflected by the prose style. 

7 minutes ago, taupe said:

Possibly not. It's a while since I read it but the character's detachment, other world-yness, alienation is perhaps reflected by the prose style. 

Good point. The simplistic short sentences and simple vocabulary/diction is clearly intended to represent the dissonance, apathy and indifference of the protagonist. This would be perfect for the theme of 'The Stranger', and as you suggest, conveying that psychological detachment to the reader. However, It is also present in his other work from memory. 

On 08/02/2023 at 14:01, Beliall said:

i want to do the "100 books to read before you die" list, but theres more than 1, i wonder if anyone here has done this, or is doing it and can recommend the list they used? i saw this one which looks closer to what i imagine it was when i first heard of it, because it doesnt include harry potter and hitchhikers guide, though i would like to read the latter 

100 Books to Read Before You Die: The Ultimate List (106 books) (goodreads.com)

thanks

50/100 there, but no I’m not working my way through any lists and there are a number on that one I know I wouldn’t enjoy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Daggers said:

50/100 there, but no I’m not working my way through any lists and there are a number on that one I know I wouldn’t enjoy.

yeah probably a few for me too that i wouldnt like, plus im not sure all the books i heard of are on there, i looked through this thread too, i will add some of the books to my list, especially the football biographies

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, bovril said:

Blood Meridian. Obviously seen as something of a masterpiece but I haven't enjoyed it as much as I thought. Violence is perhaps a little excessive although probably a true reflection of what really went on in that time and place. 

Love that book, and everything else by Mccarthy. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 12:07, Zear0 said:

Love that book, and everything else by Mccarthy. 

I really enjoyed the final 100 pages. Would be interested in your interpretation of the ending.

I enjoyed the rest tbf but perhaps not as much as I expected. I think it's a book that would be worth rereading. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I really enjoyed the final 100 pages. Would be interested in your interpretation of the ending.

I enjoyed the rest tbf but perhaps not as much as I expected. I think it's a book that would be worth rereading. 

As someone with zero imagination, I always struggle with open endings. I guess that's why I find Blood Meridian and The Road so fascinating.

I know there are generally two main views on the end relating to whether it's Judge or The Kid/Man who are the child abusers throughout. When I read it first time I assumed it was Judge as the abuser throughout with The Kid then becoming  the abuser at the end with the discovery in the outhouse. His lack of gratification to the dwarf making me think that. For me it was always Judge seeing how much he could distort The Kid as some abusers tend to do. It kind of fits that the weird deity perception some characters have of the Judge means he can transcend in that aspect. I know most people assume Judge kills him, but I never got that vibe when I first read it and that stuck with me. It's very similar in The Road in that regard as whether you think the family are kind or cannibals basically changes your entire perspective on the novel. I guess this is the same depending on whether you think The Kid is victim or perpetrator. 

• Thanks 1

The Wild East by Ian Hernon.

A lot of mythology has been created about the Wild West in the 19th century, but here Ian Hernon describes the reality in the East of the US, where violence was a lot more widespread and killed far more people. From street gangs, to race wars, and from union-busting to the early formation of the mafia, this was a dangerous place to live.  

It's very well researched with a good bibliography, and has left me with a completely different perspective of how the US has developed as a nation.