Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Now reading The World is Flat, by Thomas Friedman. Wish I'd read this 15 years ago, but it's still pertinent in many aspects today. Basically it describes how the world's economic systems changed in the 90s and onwards, and the various ways society has changed as a result. A fantastic read.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2023 at 10:43, SkidsFox said:

The Wild East by Ian Hernon.

A lot of mythology has been created about the Wild West in the 19th century, but here Ian Hernon describes the reality in the East of the US, where violence was a lot more widespread and killed far more people. From street gangs, to race wars, and from union-busting to the early formation of the mafia, this was a dangerous place to live.  

It's very well researched with a good bibliography, and has left me with a completely different perspective of how the US has developed as a nation.

Just got this today. Enjoying it so far.

• Like 2

Few more pages of this left. Good read.

A fair few of the conclusions seem quite obvious really, but reading it altogether in a book with that extra level of detail makes it feel quite insightful. 

I think for some it could be a revelation.

Man Down: Why Men Are Unhappy and What We Can Do About It (Paperback)

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

I've just read Call of the Wild by Jack London, an old turn of the century classic.

It's a children's book, and I'd bought it for my 8 year old niece. I'd read the book in the version of a graphic novel in the form of the Illustrated Classics comics/magazines from the 50s and 60s that my dad still had from his childhood, back when I myself was a kid. (Most of my knowledge of classic literature comes from these - I know a lot about the plots of most of the old classics despite having read very few of them lol) From reading the comic, I knew it was quite gritty, harsh and a true to life account of frontier life and nothing like the tame movie version recently released by Disney that had Harrison Ford in it.

I didn't realise quite how gritty and harsh it was going to be! It's only 130 pages, but by the end, the protagonist, a dog named Buck, has left a trail of dead, both man and beast, that would make Cujo nod grudging respect!

It's actually a great book and I'm glad I decided to read it before giving it to her, cos I might wait a couple of years. lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2023 at 16:06, SkidsFox said:

Now reading The World is Flat, by Thomas Friedman. Wish I'd read this 15 years ago, but it's still pertinent in many aspects today. Basically it describes how the world's economic systems changed in the 90s and onwards, and the various ways society has changed as a result. A fantastic read.

Yes one of my last such books .Interesting read.

On 17/03/2023 at 00:34, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've just read Call of the Wild by Jack London, an old turn of the century classic.

It's a children's book, and I'd bought it for my 8 year old niece. I'd read the book in the version of a graphic novel in the form of the Illustrated Classics comics/magazines from the 50s and 60s that my dad still had from his childhood, back when I myself was a kid. (Most of my knowledge of classic literature comes from these - I know a lot about the plots of most of the old classics despite having read very few of them lol) From reading the comic, I knew it was quite gritty, harsh and a true to life account of frontier life and nothing like the tame movie version recently released by Disney that had Harrison Ford in it.

I didn't realise quite how gritty and harsh it was going to be! It's only 130 pages, but by the end, the protagonist, a dog named Buck, has left a trail of dead, both man and beast, that would make Cujo nod grudging respect!

It's actually a great book and I'm glad I decided to read it before giving it to her, cos I might wait a couple of years. lol

60+yrs ago ,I was 10 when I first read it…captivated me then as now..

It belonged or surmised a way of life…

Cujo I was older,but down to life’s violence & turn of ‘wild animal’. With curt nicities..genre horror book.

Edited by fuchsntf

2 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Missed this when it first came out - Dracula by Bram Stoker. Excellent so far, enjoying it a lot. 

How old are you..?

Or are you the protagonist :devil:

Edited by Zear0
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

One of my favourite books, I've read it several times including in Whitby for maximum atmospheric experience.  

Yep, very evocative and atmospheric, in a very economical way. Can’t believe I’ve not read it before - it’s the start of my journey into the classics, which is long overdue. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Yep, very evocative and atmospheric, in a very economical way. Can’t believe I’ve not read it before - it’s the start of my journey into the classics, which is long overdue. 

If not already on your list then for atmospheric classics I recommend Oh, whistle, and I'll come to you, my lad! by MR James.  Only a short story but very good and definitely a classic.  

• Like 1