Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Would recommend this book to everyone. I’m NOT suggesting to never  go to a Dr again, but there’s so much power and remedies in nature and it can be a bit tricky getting to Drs and getting some stuff that you need something to bridge the gap until you can. Cheaper too. I have a healthy respect for nature.

IMG_2024-02-11-161347.jpeg

IMG_2024-02-11-161142.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Princess Bride, the book the film is based on (and the author did the screenplay for).

Really enjoyed it, it fleshed out the background on a lot of stuff, but all the classic movie bits were still in there, often word for word.

I can heartly recommend reading it, though I'd also add that it's somewhat more darker than the film, so not suitable for pre-teens I'd say, or even particularly sensitive teens.

On 20/02/2024 at 22:57, Lillehamring said:

The Good Soldier - Ford Maddox Ford

Caribbean Mystery - Agatha Christie

The Adventures of Sally - P.G. Wodehouse

Just got a 2nd hand edition of this and looking forward to reading it.

4 hours ago, bovril said:

Just got a 2nd hand edition of this and looking forward to reading it.

Cool.  I picked up a 2nd hand copy in Hinckley (of all places).

It's really interesting, though it does meander wildly at times; quite, i would say ahead of it's time -

• Like 1

On 11/02/2024 at 21:18, MPH said:

Would recommend this book to everyone. I’m NOT suggesting to never  go to a Dr again, but there’s so much power and remedies in nature and it can be a bit tricky getting to Drs and getting some stuff that you need something to bridge the gap until you can. Cheaper too. I have a healthy respect for nature.

IMG_2024-02-11-161347.jpeg

IMG_2024-02-11-161142.jpeg

I’d have to question the ramming of marshmallows up your rectum to help with the extraction of foreign bodies - but I will defer to your direct experience

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

I’d have to question the ramming of marshmallows up your rectum to help with the extraction of foreign bodies - but I will defer to your direct experience

it really works. So my friend says.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Listening to this audio book on BorrowBox. Really enjoying it so far, the author sets the scene and develops the characters wonderfully in a poverty ridden Glasgow broken by thatcher. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1427350e361d3ddf008fa090f3cdb832.jpeg

Read this last year. Incredibly bleak and tough read and it doesn't really let up, but very well written. Can't say I enjoyed reading it but a brilliant book. 

Anyone read this. The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu? Part of a trilogy.

It's (Hard) Sci-fi and not normally the genre I tend to go for, but I've just read this and the 2nd in the trilogy and they blew my mind. An amazing amount of detail and science theory but all wrapped into a really exciting plot. Netflix have just bought the rights so hoping they don't ruin it, although don't have much hope.

91DUejN+hAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

40 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

Read this last year. Incredibly bleak and tough read and it doesn't really let up, but very well written. Can't say I enjoyed reading it but a brilliant book. 

I’m not that far in yet but it is certainly bleak, the writing really evokes feelings positive and negative towards the characters, and the scenes set are grim. 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 20:43, Lillehamring said:

Down and Out in Paris and London  - George Orwell  

It's interesting but lacking any charm.

When he writes about the squalid conditions in the kitchens of top Paris hotels, the filth, the rats, the cockroches.

Reminds me of when I worked at Butlins.

Edited by boots60
  • Haha 1

John Cooper Clarke - I wanna be yours. Halfway through and totally impressed. As you may guess, his use of the English language is great. His memory of people is astounding too. He remembers everyone's names going back to the 50s/60s when he was a kid at school. I struggle to remember names of folk I worked wit just 10 years ago. Very nostalgic.

16 hours ago, bovril said:

Happy World Book Day.

What are your favourite books foxestalkers? 

Pale Fire is searing hot genius. As is Lolita.

Enduring Love is an all-time favourite.

I'm (late to the party in) reading Slow Horses at the minute and I'm finding that quite good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Pale Fire is searing hot genius. As is Lolita.

Enduring Love is an all-time favourite.

I'm (late to the party in) reading Slow Horses at the minute and I'm finding that quite good.

If you like Slow Horses (and haven't already) I recommend McKinty, Sean Duffy series.  Very dark humour.  

I've heard that his new stuff is a bit naff, but he needed commercial success which is fair enough (think he ended up driving a taxi or something!).  His older books are great though.  

17 hours ago, bovril said:

Happy World Book Day.

What are your favourite books foxestalkers? 

The one I'm reading right now, Eritrea My Nation by Berhane Abrehe

Berhane was Eritrea's former finance minister, and his book is directed to Eritrean youth in the country and diaspora, and is an exposé on Eritrea's first and only president Isaias Afwerki, detailing how he's ruined the country for 30 years, and how to make sure no one like him takes power in Eritrea again. Berhane was arrested 5 days after the book's publication and hasn't been seen since.

I wouldn't recommend it if you don't care about politics in the Horn of Africa/Eritrea, but I do, so I'm enjoying it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mohamedb06 said:

The one I'm reading right now, Eritrea My Nation by Berhane Abrehe

Berhane was Eritrea's former finance minister, and his book is directed to Eritrean youth in the country and diaspora, and is an exposé on Eritrea's first and only president Isaias Afwerki, detailing how he's ruined the country for 30 years, and how to make sure no one like him takes power in Eritrea again. Berhane was arrested 5 days after the book's publication and hasn't been seen since.

I wouldn't recommend it if you don't care about politics in the Horn of Africa/Eritrea, but I do, so I'm enjoying it.

I want to read more about Africa in general and specifically East Africa so I will give it a go.

On 29/02/2024 at 19:56, SkidsFox said:

John Cooper Clarke - I wanna be yours. Halfway through and totally impressed. As you may guess, his use of the English language is great. His memory of people is astounding too. He remembers everyone's names going back to the 50s/60s when he was a kid at school. I struggle to remember names of folk I worked wit just 10 years ago. Very nostalgic.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of Simpsons quotes throughout. lol

Currently working my way through everything Benjamin Myers has written. He is one of the great British authors of our time imo. His descriptions of landscape are beautful.

The Perfect Golden Circle is a good entry to his work if you're not familiar. It's a pretty simple story of two blokes in the late 80s making crop circles in Wiltshire. But weaves in some lovely narratives about male friendship and the unique majesty of the English summer.

• Like 2