Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Mythos by Stephen Fry.  A thrilling romp through less known Greek myths.  I have no idea how entwined Greek myths were with the creation of Earth and our spoken language.   There are explanations for everything from the creation of bee's sting to Sahara Desert to flowers all in Fry's affable tune.   

Any myth fans should give this a go!

Edited by The Blur
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The Blur said:

Mythos by Stephen Fry.  A thrilling romp through less known Greek myths.  I have no idea how entwined Greek myths were with the creation of Earth and our spoken language.   There are explanations for everything from the creation of bee's sting to Sahara Desert to flowers all in Fry's affable tune.   

Any myth fans should give this a go!

I listened to the audio book he recorded himself on this. Was excellent. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 22:35, Unabomber said:

Does anyone like science fiction books? I have never been bothered but this year have been looking at different style books to read. Went on goodreads and have just been reading their highest rated books. I have just read project hail mary and wow it’s crazy. Just saw it’s already going to be made into a film. Anyone into sci fi just read this it is brilliant. 

I like to spread my reading around so I read a bit of sci-fi.

Hail Mary Project was very good, if you've not already read The Martian do so, but don't bother with his other one, Artemis, it's crap.

Recent sci fi highlights include Becky Chambers wayfarer series and Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the follow up not as good, but I have book 3 waiting for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I like to spread my reading around so I read a bit of sci-fi.

Hail Mary Project was very good, if you've not already read The Martian do so, but don't bother with his other one, Artemis, it's crap.

Recent sci fi highlights include Becky Chambers wayfarer series and Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the follow up not as good, but I have book 3 waiting for me.

Talking of sci-fi, I am about 50 pages into 600 of Vernor Vinge's  'A Fire Upon The Deep'. Weird and wonderful so far...

Anthony Beevor - The Russian Revolution and Civil War 1917-1921.

I wanted to find out the series of events and outcomes of a pivotal period in modern world history. It's not quite a page turner - mainly because of the complexity of the detail, the alien quality of names and the unfamiliar social hierarchy. But his grasp of the day-to-day events in a destabilising situation is masterful.

Just finished The Abstainer by Ian McGuire, crime thriller set in 1860s Manchester. The guy really does set a scene, clearly really well researched and very, very loosely based on historical events involving Irish separatists. Will have to give his other novels a go.

14 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Currently reading this. So far seems extremely good. I bloody love reading books. 

72919497-D660-4BF8-8CCA-33CBB231091C.jpeg

I am pretty sure there was a movie made from the book with Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman.   As usual like all movie versions, it would be probably shit.  

7 hours ago, The Blur said:

I am pretty sure there was a movie made from the book with Tom Hardy and Gary Oldman.   As usual like all movie versions, it would be probably shit.  

Yeah I heard the movie is shit, but so far the book is very good. 

On 14/10/2022 at 08:57, Unabomber said:

Currently reading this. So far seems extremely good. I bloody love reading books. 

72919497-D660-4BF8-8CCA-33CBB231091C.jpeg

Good book, the 2 sequels are very good too.

Currently 3/4s of the way through this.

1879930975_TheSevenDeathsofEvelynHardcastle.jpg.f1c87f8d9fbc5295903e7d1caeb74fd9.jpg

Really interesting concept, very well written, hope it ends well. There's nothing worse than a shit ending to a book that's enthralled you for a couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grew up watching this guy... for reasosn mostly unknown (media i guess) i never liked him. I thought ill give it a read. Mildly interesting, he is clearly someone who couldve done without the fame as long as he got to act.  Dont really recommend.

Brat: An '80s Story by Andrew McCarthy

• 3 weeks later...

Not reading it now, but this year have enjoyed very much Malcolm Gaskill's two very good books on witch trials in the 17th century. Thought they might be a bit trashy and sensationalist but are instead quite sober and thus very disturbing accounts of the events.