Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

7 hours ago, foxy tiler said:

Recently started reading Eisenhorn by Dan abnett. At nearly 50 years old I've discovered the world of warhammer 40k. 🤣🤣👍

I am a big fan myself, but still... 

homer-simson-the-simpsons.gif

image.jpeg.004110548c91c35baae3485737d20509.jpeg

The lengthy story of corruption in Queenslands police force that eventually led to the Chief of Police going to jail for 14 years. Along with several of the state leading politicians.

Queensland was being run by Joh Bjelke Peterson.... Trump before Trump had thought about corruption.

• Like 1

A late mention to Get Shirty (Andy Wells), which I read a couple of months back. It tells of how Admiral, a small underwear firm from Wigston, changed football forever when they won the contract as England's kit supplier. They were responsible for starting a billion-pound industry that previously really didn’t exist, so in effect they changed football forever. This book was enjoyable to read, and well laid out. Some great graphics and images from years gone by, and I have to praise Conker Editions (another Leicester based outfit) for such a well-made book, which is not so common nowadays. I loved this book for taking me back in time to the 70s and 80s, and also for giving a glimpse into why a clothing firm from the East Midlands could succeed so well for a while, but then meet the same fate as other manufacturing firms in the 80s. Plenty of shirt photos from the time too, if you’re into that kind of thing! The thing I enjoyed most in this book were the encounters and dealings with soccer bosses of the era. We learn that Don Revie (often called ‘Don Readies’ at the time) was actually quite straightforward in his commercial dealings, and he made sure that his players received their fair share of any financial deal. Tommy Docherty however was a totally different kind of boss, but you’ll have to get the book to read more on his dodgy antics. This is the type of book that would make a great present for those of us who lived through that era, whether they’re into football shirts or not. Andy's been a Leicester supporter since the 70s, so another reason to support one of our own, and buy the book?
Conker Editions   ISBN 9781739 770525.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The book I have finished recently is The Sovereign Individual by James Dale Davidson and William Rees-Mogg (9780684 832722 edition). I'd heard a lot about this book, originally published in 1997, and how it predicted a lot of changes that would take place in the world economy and society. It also proposed strategies for adapting financially to those coming changes.

At first I was quite disappointed by the number of predictions that really didn't turn out - perhaps they've yet to take place at the speed old Moggie thought they would. But that's inevitable in such a work, and there are some developments they correctly forecast. The introduction of a crypto-based currency for international trade, is perhaps the best example. The way terrorist groups could organise and threaten even super-powers (this was prior to the twin towers attack) was another. Other predictions have yet to transpire - they thought that within a couple of decades all the successful billionaires would have moved from western countries to low-tax regimes. Well, we've not seen the likes of Buffet, Bezos, Gates and Musk move to Sudan or Singapore just yet, but I suppose it may yet happen. And apparently the nation-state would be close to disappearing by now, but if anything populism and blind nationalism appears to be on the rise. To their credit they did mention that there would be a reaction to the global world, from "left-behinds", nationalists and new Luddites; they just didn't gauge how big that would be, nor the strength of people's loyalty to their nation.  And this was the biggest finding I got from the book - you can work out just how W Mogg's mind worked. He saw all state taxation as at best a waste, at worst extortion. He genuinely thought all the rich folk would move abroad to avoid taxes because of that, and couldn't accept that people took other things into account other than tax rates, such as decent roads/schools/hospitals etc. Most surprisingly he had zero loyalty to the country that gave him so much opportunity, and looked only at the ability to avoid paying tax - well perhaps I should say that was his advice to the wealthy individuals reading this book, move to a low-tax regime.  Strangely his son Jacob, has campaigned in the political field by appealing to the "left-behinds", nationalists and new Luddites. It seems that "Freedom of Movement" is something that should only be recommended to rich "sovereign individuals".

Despite my criticisms, it's a book that certainly made me think. If you want a book that described what actually happened then I'd say "The World is Flat" (Friedman) is far more accurate, but then it was describing developments, not predicting them. The Sovereign Individual is an excellent read, despite (or maybe because of) some failings. 9.2 out of 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2023 at 13:25, Grebfromgrebland said:

Anyone got any suggestions for a book that might make me laugh?

Just read the Satsuma Complex, think I'm in the mood for something else a bit light hearted and funny.

Seeing your last read have you read Bob Mortimer's And Away. Very funny and moving

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Admit I'm more into non fiction. Recently enjoyed 3 books by Ben Macintyre regarding WW2. Agent Zigzag, Operation Mincemeat and Colditz. He writes in a very engaging way. 

Operation Mincemeat is fantastic, I've not read the other two so might have a look when I've chewed through the current pile. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Raj said:

Mike Tysons autobiography undisputed truth is very raw and truthful.

Guy liked women, drugs and booze to put it mildly...

How does the book deal with the fact he was convicted of rape?  Denial I assume?

In which case is it that truthful? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

How does the book deal with the fact he was convicted of rape?  Denial I assume?

He once claimed the best punch of his career was the one he’d done on his wife. Think that may have been written in his autobiography. 

• Sad 1

Just finished Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities. Hoping to find a David Harvey book, once I’ve finished my next block of work. Enjoyed a lot of his essays. On a side note , finished my toilet read of Owen Hopkins ‘Lost Futures, The Disappearing Architecture of Post-War Britain’. That’s an amazing obituary of post-war projects.

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

12 minutes ago, westernpark said:

He once claimed the best punch of his career was the one he’d done on his wife. Think that may have been written in his autobiography. 

It's no hold barred.

It portrays  him as the beast he is.

Hes truthful and it really puts him in a bad light.

Basically snagged anything  that moved and as many as he could handle and sharing them with his mates.

Complete disrespect  of women.

Took tons of coke and booze and weed.

He says it all.

BUT due to UK law(as stated in the book) he cant comment on the Desiree Washington case.

He definitely  wanted her and took her to his room, what occurred will only be known to them.

It's a great book  tbf and he really emphasises what a horrible person he was.

Think since he met his last wife hes finally turned his life around and good luck to him.

He also has lost over 400 million pounds over 30 odd years...400 MILLION POUNDS FFS!

HEe had ZERO concept of money.

Literally gave it away, bought stuff he didnt even know he had...its amazing 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

It's no hold barred.

It portrays  him as the beast he is.

Hes truthful and it really puts him in a bad light.

Basically snagged anything  that moved and as many as he could handle and sharing them with his mates.

Complete disrespect  of women.

Took tons of coke and booze and weed.

He says it all.

BUT due to UK law(as stated in the book) he cant comment on the Desiree Washington case.

He definitely  wanted her and took her to his room, what occurred will only be known to them.

It's a great book  tbf and he really emphasises what a horrible person he was.

Think since he met his last wife hes finally turned his life around and good luck to him.

He also has lost over 400 million pounds over 30 odd years...400 MILLION POUNDS FFS!

HEe had ZERO concept of money.

Literally gave it away, bought stuff he didnt even know he had...its amazing 

Thanks for the rundown! Not sure how he’s still going after all that.

Trying finally to get through Hobsbawm's three books on the 'long 19th century'. Heavy going but illuminating. Brings home how unlikely some of the social and technological changes of that century would've seemed to people just a few decades before, perhaps even more so than more modern developments like the internet were to us. 

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

The market is always worth an explore.

Haven't been into chesterfield proper yet, got these from a charity table outside a pet shop in hasland. We will go to the market soon though