Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

Reading a book called 'The Hunt for Zero Point'.

Bit of a mad story, but it's about a Defence Industry Consultant and Aviation Journalist following up on rumours of an alternative method of propulsion 

Saw in the news, that the US had written provisions into their 2023 defence act, to protect whistleblowers with regards to disclosing similar that might be tied up in government funded black projects with defence contractors. Sounded interesting and thought I'd find a related book.

Stranger things probably haven't happened, but it's a fun little rabbit hole.

Edited by samlcfc

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading Tuffer's autobiography.  

Quite fascinating.  From the ridiculous, i.e. Tufnell getting smashed the day before a test match, ending up in some random woman's house in Adelaide and having to ride a child's bike back to the team hotel before bowling half cut.  To the more serious i.e. the absolutely shambolic state of management and coaching of players in the 90's, Tuffers himself having a mental breakdown during two tours and the complete lack of support for players that were on tour for months and clearly struggling mentally. 

Definitely recommend for anyone interested in cricket. 

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

I am currently reading Tuffer's autobiography.  

Quite fascinating.  From the ridiculous, i.e. Tufnell getting smashed the day before a test match, ending up in some random woman's house in Adelaide and having to ride a child's bike back to the team hotel before bowling half cut.  To the more serious i.e. the absolutely shambolic state of management and coaching of players in the 90's, Tuffers himself having a mental breakdown during two tours and the complete lack of support for players that were on tour for months and clearly struggling mentally. 

Definitely recommend for anyone interested in cricket. 

What's the name of the book? (it looks like he has a few). I'll give this a go...

• Like 1

The Price of Time by Edward Chancellor. The story of interest rates, and why low interest rates damage the economy. Although a history it has pertinent lessons for the current state we find ourselves in.

The Papers of Tony Veitch by William McIlvanney. I like crime novels, but this is the first one I've come across by McIllvanney. I'm a quarter way in and admit to being very impressed. Hoping the rest of the book is as good.

• Like 1

Trans by Helen Joyce. I'm trying to understand a complex debate, and want to get my head around the multitude of attitudes and opinions. Consequently, it's a slow read as I take my time to understand both the issues and the terminology. 

It's from a perspective, for sure, but does try for balance (and I think largely suceeds) and I'm learning a great deal from it. 

On 29/12/2022 at 16:47, Unabomber said:

Recently finished this and it was the best book I’ve read this year. It’s about a German POW who is transferred through the different camps in England at the time. Loosely based on true events. It’s fantastic.

ABC4D3CE-2BF1-4C44-B8C7-AD66AF3CB0C6.jpeg

Like the look of this one cheers 

• Like 1

image.png.ead69be6183fb3f6e40463231762c666.png

Just finished this.  A short but fantastically interesting and honest memoir by a Bristol Blenheim Bomber pilot during the last chaotic days of the fall of France.  Usually books on the period focus on Dunkirk but this gives some insight into the chaos elsewhere.  Cannot recommend highly enough if you like this sort of book.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Do many of you use a Kindle? I'm thinking of getting one and not sure which model to go for. It will be between the two cheaper ones I think, either the newer 2022 model, or the paperwhite, can anyone recommend one over the other?

I exclusively use a Kindle and have done for years, started with a standard one and graduated to a Paperwhite a few years later.

Its great, but I do wonder if I make my eyes lazy by increasing the font size when I shouldn’t.  lol

25 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Do many of you use a Kindle? I'm thinking of getting one and not sure which model to go for. It will be between the two cheaper ones I think, either the newer 2022 model, or the paperwhite, can anyone recommend one over the other?

They always seem really expensive for what they are 

25 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yeah I use a kindle and really love it. I just have a normal cheap one. Just had a look online what’s the difference? The paperwhite ones are well expensive.

Edited by Unabomber