Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shez

How much is Heskey worth now!

Jack Shite now, hes only got five goals this season which is shocking for a striker. Birmingham are going to have to offload big time now, I dread to think what their wage bill is like. Who would want Heskey now though?

Jack Shite now, hes only got five goals this season which is shocking for a striker. Birmingham are going to have to offload big time now, I dread to think what their wage bill is like. Who would want Heskey now though?

as you say the wage bill must be shocking at Birmingham I bet most of the squad are on a good £25k per year should have sacked Bruce months ago been dead man walking for most of the season to be honest!!

as for Emile I would have him back!!! we could do with a big striker to give us different options!!!

Not a lot as a centre-forward but I'd like to see him at centre-half.

Just out of interest, what qualities do you see in Heskey that you think would make him a good centreback?

Other than being big and quick, I don't think he has any suitable skills, particularly his heading and tackling.

I'd have Emile back, but there is no way we'll be able to afford him unless we sell someone (and if we do that we might look for a different sort of player). I could still see him commanding a million pound transfer fee.

Probably, but sometimes during this season you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between him and De Vries!

De vries is not fit to clean heskeys boots!!!

If i were a premier league manager at the lower end of the table i would sign heskey. I reckon you would still pay £2 -3 million for him remember akinbiyi just got solf for 1.75m

De vries is not fit to clean heskeys boots!!!

If i were a premier league manager at the lower end of the table i would sign heskey. I reckon you would still pay £2 -3 million for him remember akinbiyi just got solf for 1.75m

Nearly £1M per goal :huh::o

(Refering to 4 goals this season - I thought Heskey had only scored 4 this season)

Just out of interest, what qualities do you see in Heskey that you think would make him a good centreback?

Other than being big and quick, I don't think he has any suitable skills, particularly his heading and tackling.

You may well be right and I wouldn't thinkg of him coming back here because we couldn't afford him plus he doesn't fit the "young and hungry" profile and I don't see any reason to compromise that.

But someone who finds it hard to head/tackle as an attacker can sometimes find it easier as a defender.

In MON days I thought one of his great strengths was defensively for corners/set pieces and I've wondered ever since if he'd make a better defender.

He always lacked something as a striker and now seems to have lost much of what he had because he's certainly not a 20-goals a season marksman.

He just doesn't appear ruthless or clinical enough.

You may well be right and I wouldn't thinkg of him coming back here because we couldn't afford him plus he doesn't fit the "young and hungry" profile and I don't see any reason to compromise that.

But someone who finds it hard to head/tackle as an attacker can sometimes find it easier as a defender.

In MON days I thought one of his great strengths was defensively for corners/set pieces and I've wondered ever since if he'd make a better defender.

He always lacked something as a striker and now seems to have lost much of what he had because he's certainly not a 20-goals a season marksman.

He just doesn't appear ruthless or clinical enough.

I always thought he became a worse player at Liverpool. They always wanted him to play with his back to goal as a targetman, when he was never that sort of player.

Granted, he was never going to be a prolific goalscorer in anyone's mind but he could have been a fanastic second striker, the reason for the success of his partnership with Cottee. He would run at defenders, charge down the flanks, drag players all over the place and do all the donkey work for Cottee to pop up in the right place. Always remember him outmuscling and making Sol Campbell look an a*se back in his pomp.

I think his career is going down the pan to be honest. If I was a Premiership manager I wouldn't spend more than £1 million for him - he's a poor finisher and isn't consistent at all. You cannot rely on him one bit.

Plus, there is no way that he's going to be earning anything like what he's earning at Brum now. His performances have been dire and I would be reluctant to give him anything more than £5-6k per week. He has got to get his act together now, otherwise he's going to end up wasting his career.

Francis Jeffers Mk II in the making.

I always felt Heskey was more effective playing wide left. His pace invariably attracts defenders attentions out wide, leaving spaces further infield for the more accomplished strikers. He's a good outlet on the wing for counter attacks, but less effective down the middle.

He's never handled pressure particularly well on the pitch as he's not a 20 goals a season front striker - why put him in that position?

I agree, he was never a prolific striker for us but others benefited from the work he did, Cottee included. If Bruce thought he was going to deliver them goals he didn't do his homework. I would love to think Emilie would come back to us as he would be effective at Championship level for the reasons above but in truth he is probably on a lucrative contract at Brum so why take a pay cut?

Still he will always be a hero for his time during the MON years and for dipping into his pocket to contribute to the fighting fund when we nearly went under.

If you play Heskey up front you need someone to share the work load and if you do then you get a prolific goal scorer. Too many managers just assume Heskey is a big target man when in reality he is much better with the ball at his feet running at players. ;):thumbup:

If you play Heskey up front you need someone to share the work load and if you do then you get a prolific goal scorer. Too many managers just assume Heskey is a big target man when in reality he is much better with the ball at his feet running at players. ;):thumbup:

Some sense!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Centre half indeed!?! :D:D

i sure he took a fairly big pay cut when he went from liverpool to brum,

i think he could still be quality, just needs to be played to his strengths and have the right striker next to him , like when he played with cottee.

also i think it affected him when being swapped positions constantly for england and liverpool

There are many managers around that realise that football is a team game and therefore recognise Emile's abilities. It takes all sorts to make up a successful side and Heskey is one of the best players in the country at putting the team ethic before his own game. Sure he's only scored 4 league goals this season but the top scorer at Birmingham has only got 5. Whilst he's unlikely to end up here in the near future I'd take him with open arms tomorrow.....and then not start moaning that he's not as prolific a goalscorer as Shearer or Owen.

Warnock will probably sign him as he seems to have a striker fetish over anyone whos been half decent in their careers at a certain point. I'd only have Heskey back if he was prepared to fit in with our wage bill but at 27/28 I can't see that happening as hes got a few more years of football in him yet. We should be looking to developing what we have in the likes of O'grady whos looking better by every match hes playing and not overspending on someone who is unpredictable and hasnt scored consistantly since he left us.

I'd have him back if he cost under 500k. I think he would to a great job playing LW and occasionaly helping out up top when we need him.

I doubt we'd even have that kind of cash mate, especially as the parachute payments have stopped and we have to budget carefully.

I'd have him back if he cost under 500k. I think he would to a great job playing LW and occasionaly helping out up top when we need him.

Bit of an insult there Muz.....He's better than both our current strikers put together. That's not to be disrespectful to Fryatt, Hume etc. but fairer to Heskey, who I still maintain is massively under-rated. How Crouch gets chosen ahead of him for England is beyond my comprehension. Oh yeah....just forgot...he plays for Liverpool doesn't he. As soon as Heskey left them he lost his England place as well.

heskey is more suited as someone who can run at defenders, so either an attacking winger or midfielder playing behind 1 or 2 strikers which is how MON used to play him I think. When he went to liverpool and from then on he has always been played as a main striker and hence been much less effective.

Archived