Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Books

i don't know if there is a reading group on foxestalk because i'm fairly new. if not has anyone read any good books lately? i can recommend 'The Poet' by Michael Connolly . i'm reading it at the minute, great read.

I've read all of Michael Connolly's books. Harry Bosch is a great character.

current all-time favourite:

shantaram - gregory david roberts

amazing TRUE story of an australian armed robber who escapes from prison and flees to bombay where he spends 8 years in the bombay underworld living in slums, working as a gangster, acting in bollywood and, just for good measure, fighting with the taliban against the russians in afghanistan. unbelievable stuff and beatutifully written (apparently they're making a film with jonny depp as lead - read it before the film comes out)

others well worth a read:

number 9 dream - david mitchell

like reading a japanese manga film

the wind-up bird chronicle - haruki murakami

surreal, impressionistic stuff

currently reading:

desperation - stephen king

like to indulge in the occasional easy-reading horror book

I got a load of Terry Pratchett for Xmas for quick reads...they help to pass the bus journey to town. I did the Nightwatch just before Xmas and thought it was quite funny. At some point I'm going to dig out my Douglas Adams and re-read those, now he was funny.

• 5 months later...
This, on the other hand, is essential reading for anyone with a soul.

1845291115.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

And what an exceptional book it is too.

Just finished reading Schindler's Ark (Thomas Keneally), £3 in Fopp so I thought I'd pick it up.

I've been meaning to read A Confederacy Of Dunces by John Kennedy Tool for about 5 years now, I really need to get round to that.

I'm currently reading up on Greek Mythology. Started as I play for a quiz team and my interest in it was aroused. Still awful at it in quizzes as I find the names difficult to remember.

Interesting though.

My next book will be one on wildlife which I've recently suddenly become very interested in.

I got hooked on Greek Mythology in a same way, purchased a great big book, read about 50 pages and then lost interest. Tough going remembering who was who.

These are legendary works by George Orwell-Animal Farm...not THAT Animal Farm and 1984(for all Big Brother fans!) :thumbup:

David Lodge books-Small World,Changing Places,Changing Places

Recently read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini...about life as aboy in Afhanisthan.

All top reads in my opinion! :thumbup:

These are legendary works by George Orwell-Animal Farm...not THAT Animal Farm and 1984(for all Big Brother fans!) :thumbup:

I wonder how many people have actually seen Animal Farm (the illegal one)?

Anyway - if you enjoyed those two then you simply must read The Road to Wigan Pier & Down and Out in Paris and London. In fact, sod it, read all of his tomes, I love Orwell.

Carnally.

Anyway - if you enjoyed those two then you simply must read The Road to Wigan Pier & Down and Out in Paris and London. In fact, sod it, read all of his tomes, I love Orwell.

Carnally.

Ive actually just ordered Down and out in Paris and London(good old ebay!)..look forward to it!

Read the David Lodge ones,they are top! :thumbup:

P.S I haven't seen the illegal Animal farm....doesn't really appeal if it''s what i think it will be about! :nono::cry:

Stanley Matthews Autobiography "The Way it Was".

At the time he died I had a shop just a couple of miles from the old Victoria Ground in Stoke and not far from Hanley where he was born and brought up.

My middle son still lives there and I go back regularly and know the place well for an outsider.

I shall never forget the impact of his funeral procession - the whole City stopped to turn out. Just like the Peter Shilton autobiography, having a connection makes it all the more interesting but its a riveting read anyway.

At the minute I'm reading 'Hannibal Pride of Cathage' by David Anthony Durham, but I wouldn't recommend it, very dull (and just a little homo erotic ). Can't wait to finish cause I've got ' The Black Dahlia' by James Elroy to come.

• 2 months later...

I'm impressed by some of the books mentioned in this thread. My all time favourite is "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett - an epic story spanning several decades in the twelfth century set around the building of a cathedral - and I know that sounds like a really shit book, I was sceptical at first but I was on holiday in Norway and it was the only English book I could find. It is a fantastic story and the long awaited sequel (set a couple of hundred years later) is out next month. Pillars is 1000+ pages long but you can pick it up in Smiths for £6 or something - you'll love it! Meanwhile, I'm going to scan back through this thread and find something recommended by you lot!

Gordon Ramsays autobiography is good!

**** OFF!

No it f*ucking isn't.

For f*ucks sake!

I've just finished James Herbert's "Nobody True". Excellent read. I do like his style of writing but disappointed in that he has cut down on the sex. There was loads in his early books..

Carnally.

I've always liked "Coming up for Air" better than anything else he wrote, but I've not read those two.

Archived