Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Being fully cognisant of that fact just aids my swift decision making.

Wife#1 is being sent out with a chick friend to watch it, or maybe she'll watch the one where those four ugly women moan about men and have anal sex.

ok, i give up....

A couple off sky this week....

The Gridiron Gang - 'The Rock' forms an American Football team at a young offenders institution, aiming to teach the young ruffians some pride, discipline, self-respect & general life lessons etc etc. Even by inspirational real life sports movie standards the use of overbearing music is particularly bad. Every other conversation the characters have, not to mention the slo-mo game highlights, seem to be accompanied by background music which is straight from the very pits of tv movie hell. You'd never watch a film like this expecting not to hear this kind of music, it's part of the fun almost, but Gridiron Gang lays it on so incredibly thick it'll drive you mad. Which is a shame, because the film doesn't need this heavy handed approach. Don't get me wrong, you've seen this film before, we all have, but it's well acted by a young cast and 'The Rock' gives a well judged performance as the coach. There's sometimes a clash between the films attempts to 'keep it real' (there's reminders of the harsh realities, it's not all happy endings etc) and above mentioned sports movie cliches but tbh those cliches are the reason i watch films like this anyway.

Wild Hogs - Another predictable but easy watch. It never threatens any serious belly laughs but it's light hearted fun and that works better for the cast and premise than it would having them go down a more grossout approach favoured by most teen targeted comedies. William H Macy makes so-so lines into pretty good ones, Ray Liotta plays a good arsehole, Marisa Tomei is still lovely and there's a great gag in the end credits. That's about it really but for a film i remember getting a couple of 1* reviews when it came out it that'll do me. A nothing film for sure, but a pleasant enough one.

In Bruges

in%20bruges.jpg

The trailer looked promising, but as it seems to me, they simply collected all the good dialogue and exciting scenes. The film in itself drags on for too long and there's too many holes in between. The best part of In Bruges is... Bruges. Neither Farrell, Brendan Gleeson or Ralph Fiennes really do the trick for me - although I consider them all fine actors. Also, the colour scheme is too brown-ish for my liking and the quick girlfriend insert makes it a tad bit overly constructed.

Maybe something for "Boondock Saints", Irish humour are and Bruges fans, but I was left disappointed.

I shall check out Bruges myself. Just for some Medieval Sightseeing Tours. That's the one thing I got out of that movie.

And can somebody explain to me what it is with the rivalry between the Irish and English (apart from the historical background)? I felt like McDonagh intentionally gave the English a crazy, madman-like image (the role Fiennes' got to play).

Edited by Alexei

futuramabeastdvd.jpg

The Beast with a Billion Backs passed one hour twenty-odd minutes. If you have one hour and twenty-odd minutes that require passing then this will certainly do it for you just as long as you aren't planning on spending that one hour and twenty-odd minutes doubled up in agony regretting your decision to watch the film because your sides are splitting.

At the end of one hour and twenty-odd minutes I wished they'd just make a cartoon with Bender and the other robots - and hopefully Michael Rowe will learn how to construct a better gag.

It's not bad, it's certainly a league above the Simpson's film, it just isn't very funny...which beats the Simpson's one gag (Spider-pig) film into a cocked hat. I didn't hate it, how could I? Having been woken at 6am by a small child's foot into my groin I had one hour and twenty-odd minutes that desperately required passing.

A couple off sky this week....

The Gridiron Gang - 'The Rock' forms an American Football team at a young offenders institution, aiming to teach the young ruffians some pride, discipline, self-respect & general life lessons etc etc. Even by inspirational real life sports movie standards the use of overbearing music is particularly bad. Every other conversation the characters have, not to mention the slo-mo game highlights, seem to be accompanied by background music which is straight from the very pits of tv movie hell. You'd never watch a film like this expecting not to hear this kind of music, it's part of the fun almost, but Gridiron Gang lays it on so incredibly thick it'll drive you mad. Which is a shame, because the film doesn't need this heavy handed approach. Don't get me wrong, you've seen this film before, we all have, but it's well acted by a young cast and 'The Rock' gives a well judged performance as the coach. There's sometimes a clash between the films attempts to 'keep it real' (there's reminders of the harsh realities, it's not all happy endings etc) and above mentioned sports movie cliches but tbh those cliches are the reason i watch films like this anyway.

Watched this yesterday as well, thought it dragged longer than it should have done. Still enjoyable for the most part though, as you say Rock's character is a good one and he plays it well. Whereas Xzibit doesn't for me, didn't think he was convinving at all. I found myself comparing it to Coach Carter, which was never a good start for the film really.

I'm watching Snakes on a Plane at the moment and it's shitting me up. When that snake grabs on his cock. :|

Finners demanded I watch it because I thought it'd be crap - and he was right, it wasn't.

Disaster Film By Numbers, maybe - but bloody enjoyable all the same.

Are any of these following films worth watching?

No Country For Old Men

Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium

The Bucket List

Death At A Funeral - Seen it, just going through all these disks its actually quite funny(the film that is)

The Great Debaters

Blond Ambition

Gone Baby Gone

SuperBad

The Kite Runner