Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Can't help but feel the T20 revamp has some similarities to LCFC's situation. A smaller club rising above the larger backed clubs.

The likes of Northamptonshire winning the T20, Somerset possible County Champs winners, Notts relegated and Warks or Lancs to be the other club. 

So ECB come together, let's just change the rules into a competition only open to counties that we already protect (because they take the financial hit on test matches for us).

But we will keep the existing T20. Giving smaller counties the hardest sell going, try to market a 'second tier' competition for their biggest crowds of the season.

Let's make the County Championship easier to win and hard to get relegated out of for these select clubs.  

Lets make the Old Day Trophy a closed shop and take away the exciting knockout element to it. Don't want smaller counties having a cup run. 

This isn't Australia or India. We have a team in formats what competes with those two nations. So why not just be content with what we have hey? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Is the cricket season over now? Can I go in the cricket club before games again? It smells of damp in there but the pints aren't served in plastic.

Believe all County League games finished at the weekend or the weekend before that. Got an end of season friendly tomorrow then that's it for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Can't help but feel the T20 revamp has some similarities to LCFC's situation. A smaller club rising above the larger backed clubs.

The likes of Northamptonshire winning the T20, Somerset possible County Champs winners, Notts relegated and Warks or Lancs to be the other club. 

So ECB come together, let's just change the rules into a competition only open to counties that we already protect (because they take the financial hit on test matches for us).

But we will keep the existing T20. Giving smaller counties the hardest sell going, try to market a 'second tier' competition for their biggest crowds of the season.

Let's make the County Championship easier to win and hard to get relegated out of for these select clubs.  

Lets make the Old Day Trophy a closed shop and take away the exciting knockout element to it. Don't want smaller counties having a cup run. 

This isn't Australia or India. We have a team in formats what competes with those two nations. So why not just be content with what we have hey? 

Spot on.

I'll admit I've lost some interest in the game because I'm unable to attend much any more. Friday T20's are out of the question, the first day of Championship games are on Sundays and I don't see the appeal in watching the first day of a match you'll miss three quarters of. The One day Cup is utterly pointless to me too as it's played at staggered times across weekdays.

15 years ago I was a regular down there because we had at least 7 Sunday games (the school holidays helped as well) and you saw a good game of cricket. The team was declining around this time but I still enjoyed the matches, especially the ones at Oakham School.

You are right in what you say, the ECB are protecting the Test counties (thankfully a couple have gone down and Somerset and Essex will be in the 1st division next season) and they are trying to make the game elitist. I also feel the fixture list has turned people away. For a long time there was a routine involved where you knew when you'd be playing and in what competition. Now it's starting at different times of the week and there's no pattern to it.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2016 at 15:24, Corky said:

Although we only moved up a couple of places look at the points difference. 2013- 79, 2014-108, 2015- 118 (16 docked from 134), 2016- 182 (1 docked). In three seasons we've gained 104 points, we're moving up in the world.

The problem with the one team promoted system is that no matter how much we improve, the chances of promotion are incredibly limited... especially when what appear to be cash rich sides get relegated... I mean can you see past Notts/Hampshire walking Div2 next year?

Edited by AjcW

15 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Nathan Buck has signed for Northants. Would've been a decent addition if we could've convinced him to return, looks like Cobb managed to do that instead.

Took 2 wickets at an average of 105 last season career average of nearly 40 a wicket Cobb career batting average of 25 in over 100 matches neither good enough for 4 day cricket

14 hours ago, AjcW said:

The problem with the one team promoted system is that no matter how much we improve, the chances of promotion are incredibly limited... especially when what appear to be cash rich sides get relegated... I mean can you see past Notts/Hampshire walking Div2 next year?

Back to 2 sides promoted next season we had the 3rd biggest wage bill in Div 2 last season after Essex and Sussex agree Hants and Notes will take some stopping 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, due to the rivalry involved. I do however think that Test 'call ups' might, again, undermine Notts form !

Not expecting promotion, but I do, truly, believe that we'll improve again and, at least, have an impact on who does succeed !

Have to agree with you there. For me it's no dead cert that we'll be promoted at all. The loss of Hales hampered us this summer, whilst James Taylor was a huge miss, he was a fantastic middle-order batsman. Not having Ball for a number of games (5 and a half I think) was irritating too given he barely played for England. 

We have some good young players coming through, especially Tom Moores, Jake Libby and Matt Carter, but they are still inconsistent, whilst normally reliable players such as Lumb and Read faltered last year, likely down to age. We'll challenge yes, but we will in no way walk it imo, despite our huge financial advantage.

Hants stay up as Durham get rogered by the ECB. That makes it a bit tougher next year.

Very unfair on Kent who would've normally been promoted and Hants deserved to go. But Hants have a big ground and City Franchise cricket coming their way..The ECB are killing the game by stealth.

I agree, why shouldn't the second best team (in a year when promotion places were cut) be given the chance to go up? Hampshire should be in the second division even if Durham are demoted.

I think Durham have been harshly dealt with in this case.

ECB have effectively rewarded failure rather than success. If I was Kent I'd be considering an appeal to CAS, clear favourism. 

ECB also banned any representative from Durham today to talk towards the press. They wanted to ensure they followed the party line about this being a 'rescue' deal rather than a punishment. 

• 5 weeks later...