Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

57 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Just very poor all round today, apart from Hill's innings. Very disappointing to beat a star studded Yorkshire team so convincingly 2 days ago and then lose to Worcester so tamely.

No poor today agreed. Kimber did well also really. Needed wickets up top but seam bowling a real issue. 

25 minutes ago, katieakita said:

Poor but Rob Bailey doing his usual shit house umpiring but that was as clear an LBW as you will see and these commentators well as poor as i have heard are they just a couple they have picked out the crowd

Yeah, noticed that could bowl four or five yards wide or down leg side with no problem...but his arms were out like an aeroplane soon as ours were wide. 

Fair play to Worcester though. I thought they played very well as opposed to us playing that badly. 

15 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

It was great game management to allow him to bowl the last over...... 

Bizzare hey. 

I suppose at least nobody launched a series of Beamers.

Realistically bowling was OK, just OK but we were 15 20 short. 

Edited by Cake

A very competent display from Worcestershire.

Good to see Hill go big and show his improvement this season isn't limited to the long format.

If Hill and Kimber can fire reliably at 6 and 7 then we'll have a formidable batting order, however when the top 5 misfire like tonight then they'll only be putting us in competitive positions rather than winning ones.

I know a couple of posters before have mentioned how we barely attract any youngsters. Yesterday at Worcs, I’d guess 65% to 70% were over 50 years of age. 

The member ballot/first dibs nature of social distancing crowds (rightly so) is hurting the sport. 

If the ECB wanna make the most of the 100 ball trophy, they better hope full crowds are back soon because it could be a white elephant 

51 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I know a couple of posters before have mentioned how we barely attract any youngsters. Yesterday at Worcs, I’d guess 65% to 70% were over 50 years of age. 

The member ballot/first dibs nature of social distancing crowds (rightly so) is hurting the sport. 

If the ECB wanna make the most of the 100 ball trophy, they better hope full crowds are back soon because it could be a white elephant 

One thing I would say about the 100 is they are engaging with schools, certainly at my wife's school they have been in and supplied the school with certain amount of tickets for the Notts franchise. Its good business as their mum and dad  Grandad etc will, will need to buy tickets to go with them.  Tigers do similar.

Don't think Leicestershire have ever done that. 

5 minutes ago, Cake said:

One thing I would say about the 100 is they are engaging with schools, certainly at the school my wife works at they have been in and supplied the school with certain amount of tickets, t shirts etc for the Notts franchise. Its good business as their mum and dad  Grandad etc will, will need to buy tickets to go with them.  Tigers do similar.

Don't think Leicestershire have ever done that. I'm not a fan of the 100 by the way but county cricket seemingly has little intention of working with schools, kids etc

2 minutes ago, Cake said:

One thing I would say about the 100 is they are engaging with schools, certainly at my wife's school they have been in and supplied the school with certain amount of tickets for the Notts franchise. Its good business as their mum and dad  Grandad etc will, will need to buy tickets to go with them.  Tigers do similar.

Don't think Leicestershire have ever done that. 

These are all initiatives the ECB could have introduced for the Counties though. That's the frustrating bit.

And where's the benefit of this to kids in Leicestershire, Derbyshire and so on?

Interesting that. There’s a real debate which constantly occurs in events marketing about free tickets.

Do you cheapen your event by making it free and it’s quickly forgotten? Or are you putting it into someone’s conscious? 

The likelyhood is somewhere in between. If those tickets for the second visit are not attainable (price or availability), then it won’t work. If the ECB want to really give it impact, they have to assist the 18 counties in making sure that the second visit is something worthy of keeping the hook.

…..just to say if you want to watch live cricket during the 100 period….you have the options of watching cricket at an out ground for the 8 grounds used for the 100, playing a minor county in a friendly fixture and/or 50 over cricket with very few weekend fixtures. The lack of legacy foresight here truly telling. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

They are giving kids free tickets the Hundred for the same reason they do it at Derby County games, the stadium will look empty otherwise. 

No ****er is going to the Hundred surely? 

They tried to make a big deal of having sold 100,000 tickets ahead of the planned tournament last year when County T20 attendances had totalled over the million mark!

29 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

These are all initiatives the ECB could have introduced for the Counties though. That's the frustrating bit.

And where's the benefit of this to kids in Leicestershire, Derbyshire and so on?

Leicestershire could do it themselves though. My grandkids in Kent get tickets down there, they also get players like Denly etc visiting the schools. Arranging kwik cricket games, inviting schools down for the day. It cheap PR. My son ended up buying two shirts of the back of that for example. 

I agree the ECB could do more but County couldn't do less really. At 59 your like a kid down there. 

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

They tried to make a big deal of having sold 100,000 tickets ahead of the planned tournament last year when County T20 attendances had totalled over the million mark!

I'm with you about the 100 really I am. But we need more through the gates and need to really think about how we do that. 

I was down there the other day with 6 or 7 others and two blokes who must have been 90 were fast asleep in front of us. I know with covid etc crowds are limited but honestly I've seen more people watching Loughborough Town than that. Must have been what 500 people? 

Went to Derby away and for the first time I think they had a bigger home crowd than us

Edited by Cake

2 minutes ago, Cake said:

Leicestershire could do it themselves though. My grandkids in Kent get tickets down there, they also get players like Denly etc visiting the schools. Arranging kwik cricket games, inviting schools down for the day. It cheap PR. My son ended up buying two shirts of the back of that for example. 

I agree the ECB could do more but County couldn't do less really. At 59 your like a kid down there. 

Yeah, I think that's fair enough. When I was a kid we used to get invited up there a fair bit through our club with cheap tickets for Sunday League fixtures and have Kwik Cricket tournaments on the outfield.

• Like 1

Just now, Cake said:

I'm with you about the 100 really I am. But we need more through the gates and need to really think about how we do that. 

I was down there the other day with 6 or 7 others and two blokes who must have been 90 were fast asleep in front of us. I know with covid etc crowds are limited but honestly I've seen more people watching Loughborough Town than that. Must have been what 500 people? 

We shouldn't let the club off the hook, I agree, but the scheduling really doesn't help either. We've got one 50-over Cup game on a Saturday this year and that now clashes with the Charity Shield!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

We shouldn't let the club off the hook, I agree, but the scheduling really doesn't help either. We've got one 50-over Cup game on a Saturday this year and that now clashes with the Charity Shield!

Yes. Your right in that respect. 

It's a shame as I've been lucky and whenever I've gone we have played well. 

When I was at DMU we used to get free tickets for the cricket, even for the t20. Not sure if they still do it, this is going back a few years.

Got a ticket for Tuesday, first sporting event for me since the start of lockdown, am looking forward to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

I remember being in primary school and they did out reach work then. Bet they can’t afford the extra staff now.

Alongside the Mercury doing a free ticket fixture every season as well off memory. I know I watched us play Warwicks on a Sunday and Scotland too. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Alongside the Mercury doing a free ticket fixture every season as well off memory. I know I watched us play Warwicks on a Sunday and Scotland too. 

Got County tickets with The Times as well. Saw the Netherlands in the CB40 I believe