Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Bands You Like But No-one You Know Has Heard Of Them?

Cant be arsed to read through the whole thread but Thomas Tantrum are pretty decent. Probably the indie guys on here have heard of em but there still small in the grand scheme of things. Not really a massive indie fan (I hate that word) fook it emo fan but I like there quirky style. :thumbup:

I like Thomas Tantrum, i think i bang a single of thiers on my last FT Mix. Not bad.

At the moment I am listening to the Malakai album. Strange mixure of 60s psychodelia, trip hop and garage (US).

The Independant

Loved by Lily Allen, signed to Geoff (Portishead) Barrow’s record label and described as “the b-boy Syd Barrett”, the debut album by Bristol two-piece Malakai would be irritating if it wasn’t such a work of wonder.

While unmistakably post trip-hop, ‘Ugly Side of Love’ actually sounds like nothing less than a lost 1960s classic by David Axelrod and Shuggie Otis. It’s superb stuff; think a less tricky Tricky. Shame it’s destined to soundtrack a million outings to Urban Outfitters.

At the moment I am listening to the Malakai album. Strange mixure of 60s psychodelia, trip hop and garage (US).

The Independant

Sounds pretty good, I'll give that a go.

Actually, hairy, while you're there you recently recommended The Subs for some old school style rave but when I search for them I find a load of different bands none of which seem to match your description... do they have an album I can search for?

Also did you suggest Zomby - Where Were You in '92? Got that on eMusic the other day - brilliant! Any other recommendations of stuff like that or anything else would be glady received...

The Independant

sounds both interesting and horrible - which way to go, hmmmm?

Sounds pretty good, I'll give that a go.

Actually, hairy, while you're there you recently recommended The Subs for some old school style rave but when I search for them I find a load of different bands none of which seem to match your description... do they have an album I can search for?

Also did you suggest Zomby - Where Were You in '92? Got that on eMusic the other day - brilliant! Any other recommendations of stuff like that or anything else would be glady received...

The Subs album is called Subculture. I could ftp it for you if you want.

I really like S.Y.N.K.R.O at the moment. He has only released 12" so far but I will bundle them up and ftp them for you. Is a mellow dubstep / garage sound

The Subs album is called Subculture. I could ftp it for you if you want.

I really like S.Y.N.K.R.O at the moment. He has only released 12" so far but I will bundle them up and ftp them for you. Is a mellow dubstep / garage sound

Mate I would really appreciate that. I'm going to have to return the favour at some point soon.

Funnily enough I tried to find S.Y.N.K.R.O. as well. Found an artist called synkro so thought that was the one, downloaded it and it turned out to be darkside drum n bass. Not what i was expecting but not too bad nevertheless!

Funnily enough I tried to find S.Y.N.K.R.O. as well. Found an artist called synkro so thought that was the one, downloaded it and it turned out to be darkside drum n bass. Not what i was expecting but not too bad nevertheless!

Yes there are two with the same name. The DnB one released an album in 04 but the dubstep ones releases are 08 and 09.

The Subs - Subculture

The Subs are two DJs from Beligium, not that their name would suggest it. Their debut album Subculture is a relentless, ecstatic three-quarter hour electro-house party. With titles suggesting their music will be in a typically Belgian vein (‘Music Is The New Religion’, ‘fook That Shit’, ‘Kiss My Trance’), Subculture actually ends up surprising despite its cheesey moments and puts The Subs among the quality electro music that has been dominating both dance and indie scenes in the past couple of years.

It is little surprise to hear that The Subs have featured in DJ sets by Boys Noize, Fake Blood and Simian Mobile Disco, with their music containing the same crunchy drum beats and retro synths featured by these and other groups like Justice. And it must be said, if you dislike this genre, you’re unlikely to appreciate The Subs either. This is a true 90s revival (think Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Underworld) and they are not afraid to show it, with Subculture even featuring a potentially risky cover of The Prodigy’s Breathe.

Papillon and Tonic (the two members of The Subs) may have arrived a bit late in this 90s rave revival, then, but it doesn’t mean that their work lacks substance. Subculture, in fact, is an album in the true sense of the word. It hangs together really well, like one sweaty night, with intermittent breakdowns sections appearing in the middle of the album (In Cold Blood) after the intense and fluorescent electro opening of their singles Papillon, Music Is The New Religion, and Kiss My Trance. Tracks like this remain at a peak throughout, often promising to tip from their euphoria into disappointment, but they largely manage to sustain their pressure.

In fact, if you were to break down Subculture, then it is probably at these times when The Subs are at their best – basic, sustained euphoria. The cover of Breathe sounds a bit hollow, their attempt at doing something similar on the subsequent fook That Shit is stilted and lacks the hook of something so repetitive, and the closer From Dusk Till Dawn tries to incorporate a strange sort of electronica that doesn’t quite go with their previous analogue efforts.

Stand out tracks are all the singles except My Punk - they are highly charged and bursting, fitting well into any dance atmosphere. The Subs are riding the electro wave, it’s true, but there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be there with the others. Subculture is a really decent album, and it will surely gain them a good following on many a dancefloor.

Subculture is out now on Lektroluv. The Subs will be performing at festivals across Europe in the summer.

Malakai - Ugly Side Of Love for those that want to try before they buy

Malakai: Hebrew for 'My Messenger' and Bristolian moniker for creators of the outstanding Ugly Side Of Love - a debut that with so much crossover appeal is perversely good enough to fook. A realist blend of scratches, samples, sixties pop, psychedelic rock, soul, breaks and beats, their prophetic vision doesn't peddle in doom or gloom but unashamedly reflects the ills of a world on its last legs.

Stitched together with an apocalyptic candour that cuts a timelessly urgent retro fit, Ugly Side Of Love takes no prisoners starting as it means to continue. Kicking off hard and fast with a dub infused, purple haze of news reports and warning sirens, 'Warriors' uneasily acknowledges an impending threat. And amid a relentless barrage of chaotically paranoid beats and riffs that are so infectious, removal necessitates neurosurgery, looks for a belated answer.

The onslaught doesn't stop there: there's no time for small talk when deliberating the end of the world; Malakai don't allow breathing space between tracks. Part spaghetti western, part Waterloo Sunset riff, 'Shitkicker' (formerly 'The Battle') rapidly spawns a lysergically-enhanced call to arms, throwing mind-bending shapes before morphing into the comedown friendly 'Snake Charmer' - a hypnotic pre-cursor to the sonic force of 'Snowflake'. To use the word standout here would belie the album's pedigree, but the explosive, uncluttered, climactic immediacy of piano, drums, guitar and passionately aggressive vocal, ensure it's not far off the mark.

And so the album continues on a journey of constant self-reinvention and terminal discovery. The intensity is at times overwhelming; the relentless deadlock created by the madcap genius of break heavy 'Omega Time' alongside the hallucinatory psych-rock overdose of 'Blackbird' is broken by beach guitar ditty 'Moonsurfin' and the claustrophobic cold-sweat deja-vu of 'Only For You'.

The album soon becomes psychologically denser, adding layers of pressure through the desensitized televisual violence depicted in 'Lay Down Stay Down', the incredible tearstained euphoria of 'Another Sun', question marked 'How Long' and (title says it all) 'Fading World'. The album finishes with 'Simple Song', which despite the lyrical content (Judy Finnigan, Mechano, Pinocchio, Roy Orbison and Cheryl Tweedy all get a mention) is not as throwaway as first impressions might otherwise suggest.

Ransacking genres with an innovative twist, 'Ugly Side Of Love' celebrates a world dying an avoidable man-made death, and is successful in aspiring to be one of the most complete albums you're likely to hear this year.

Rating: 5/5

I like Thomas Tantrum, i think i bang a single of thiers on my last FT Mix. Not bad.
You did, and as a result I got another of their singles off Emusic :thumbup:

Yeah I got one single of theres "Why The English Our Rubbish".

Noticed that one of there tunes is used on the t mobile advert. Think the lead singer has a good voice and compliments the music well.

Any other songs by them you could recommend? :thumbup:

The Smyrk

Easton Legacy

The Wolf and the Wildcats

What's Fair (Myspace)

Nixa (Myspace)

The Graduate (Myspace)

Red Sun Rising

Call the Cops

Amely

All found using Pure Volume (so you may or may not have come across them) unless stated otherwise.

If you have come across them, let me know what you think :)

Found 2562 on eMusic yesterday - Dutch techno dubstep, kind of! Very interesting and cool music, lots and lots of bass.

Hairy - you might want to check these out, if you want me to upload the album let me know.

Found 2562 on eMusic yesterday - Dutch techno dubstep, kind of! Very interesting and cool music, lots and lots of bass.

Hairy - you might want to check these out, if you want me to upload the album let me know.

I'll be checking that one out when I get my new downloads

I'll be checking that one out when I get my new downloads

Good man, it's the sort of music that demands either 1. a good set of headphones or 2. a good set of speakers. Album is called Aerial.

Archived