Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

25 minutes ago, kushiro said:

@Vacamion @Blue Fox 72 @Spudulike  Very interesting reading those memories. 

Seems it was October 8th 1977. 

villa-77.jpg

Villa-77-2.jpg

I was there. It was carnage. As pointed out in the article above, Villa fans were marched down to the kop end and put in Sk1. The fence between the pens back then didn't go all the way up to the bottom of the Decker, so were only about shoulder high, which meant there were fans jumping the pens to get involved, and some fans went onto the pitch to escape the fighting. It was quite frightening as a kid that day, and actually made national headlines.  

On 13/04/2022 at 12:44, kushiro said:

@Vacamion @Blue Fox 72 @Spudulike  Very interesting reading those memories. 

Seems it was October 8th 1977. 

villa-77.jpg

Villa-77-2.jpg

Yes I was at that match in the kop and it was quite frightening. Had to escape onto the pitch to avoid getting hurt. Villa fans climbed up onto the refreshment hut at back of pen 1 and were chucking old beer crates and goalposts down from there into pen 2, as well as broken glass from the kop windows at the back.

Edited by Blue Fox 72

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As invading pitches seems to be all the rage at the moment, I thought I'd reminisce about good old ones at Filbo.

I'm talking here about proper full-scale pitch invasions; not a few people on the pitch after we've scored a goal or won a game.

A couple of other caveats worth mentioning before going any further.

For many years there were fences preventing some or most peole getting on the pitch.  The Spion Kop had perimeter fences put up in the summer of 1978.  These were serious fences with inward pointing spikes on top.  I think the spikes came off in 1989 after Hillsborough, but the fences remanined until the Kop was made all seater in the summer of 1994.  In addition, fences were also erected for a few years in front of the Main Stand enclosure and the East Stand seats.   I think they put those fences up in the Autumn of 1984, and they stayed up until 1989 - when most of them were removed (except for the away fans part of the East Stand).

The other important point to realise, is that when most of the fences came down (or had spikes removed) in 1989, it was because fences at Hillsborough had almost certainly contributed to the loss of life.  So there was a consensus amongst most football fans of how serious the issue was, and not to abuse the privilege of now being able to go on the pitch.   This general feeling was largely respected, although obviously there were exceptions ... although as time went on it lessened ... and now 32 years on, is pretty much non-existent.

Anyway, having got the caveats out of the way, here were the main ones since the mid 1970's:

1979-80 (Division 2) v Charlton Athletic.  Won 2-1.
There was a pitch invasion after we beat Charlton 2-1 in our last home match of the season.
It was a bit funny, as Chelsea could only draw at Swansea, which meant we were "nearly promoted" ... but not quite.
We would have to lose at Orient, and Chelsea would have to beat Oldham at home, and made up an 8 goal difference.

1981-82 (FA Cup Quarter Final) v Shrewsbury Town.  Won 5-2.
There was a pitch invasion after we won this pulsating FA Cup tie ... celebrating a truly amazing win which sealed a semi final place for the first time in 8 years.

1982-83 (Division 2) v Burnley.  Drew 0-0.
There was a big pitch invasion after the last match of the season.
The news came through that Fulham had lost 1-0 at Derby, and so the draw was enough to guarentee promotion.
It ended up being a weird day though, as we later heard that the Derby v Fulham game has ended 79 seconds prematurely ... and we didn't know if the Football League would order a rematch.

1990-91 (Division 2) v Oxford Utd.  Won 1-0.
There was a massive pitch invasion after the last match of the season.  Real spontaneous utter joy and relief at having stayed up.
West Brom could only draw 1-1 away to Bristol Rovers, so we were safe from relegation to the 3rd Division.

1991-92 (Division 2) v Newcastle Utd.  Lost 1-2
There was a pitch invasion at the end of a crazy match.
Before the game, a win may have got us automatic promotion, whilst a defeat could've relegated Newcastle.
In the end, other results meant that it matter what the result was ... we were in the playoffs and Newcastle were safe.
In a crazy end to the game, Steve Walsh headed an injury time equaliser, which prompted a mini invasion.
A few seconds later, he unfortunately put through his own goal ... at which point everyone came on the pitch.
Some Newcastle fans trying to get on the pitch were soon persuaded that it wasn't in their interest, and the day fizzled out in a non too pleasant atmosphere.

2001-02 (Premier League) v Tottenham Hotspur.  Won 2-1.
Last ever league match at Filbert Street, and a good old massive pitch invasion to end it all.
Lots of old ex City players walked around the pitch at the end, the club tannoy kept on asking "please keep off the pitch", but in the end everyone just ignored the ridiculous request, and peacefully came on.   Quite a few took some turf home with them!
A happy way to end the season and Filbert Street, but a bit sad and poignant.

(by way of completeness, it should be noted that Sheff Utd fans invaded the pitch after their 5-2 win at the end of the 1989-90 season.

It should be noted, however, they they only got on the pitch in big numbers, as they were given the whole of the East Stand ... and most of the fences had been removed the previous year.)

• Like 1

Whatever you thought of the old East Stand at Filbert Street, it certainly had one thing going for it. It was one of the very few structures at a football ground to have its own chant. It became popular in the late 90s, when fans were getting a bit spoilt by the modernization of grounds. They weren't even called grounds any more. They were now called 'stadiums'

Away fans forced to sit in the East Stand knew they weren't in a stadium. They were in a cow shed. And they let every one knew how they felt about it:

What the ****

What the ***

What the ***ing hell is THIS?!?!

Just like the classic pen 3 version of 'When You're Smiling', it was the hand movements that really made it. The chant was accompanied by hundreds of index fingers pointing accusingly at the rickety old roof above.

What a glorious sight that was. 

I was reminded of all that because I've just come across a view of Filbert Street that I've never seen before.

It's that East Stand roof in mid-construction. The photo was taken during a 1-1 draw with Stoke in the FA Cup in January 1939.

LC-Jan-14th-1939-Dewis-v-Stoke.jpg

By February the work was complete, and Filbert Street now had cover on all sides. For those Popular Side supporters who'd got a regular soaking throughout the 1930s, this was a form of modernization just as welcome as any of those introduced in the modern era.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2022 at 14:06, worth_the_wait said:

As invading pitches seems to be all the rage at the moment, I thought I'd reminisce about good old ones at Filbo.

I'm talking here about proper full-scale pitch invasions; not a few people on the pitch after we've scored a goal or won a game.

A couple of other caveats worth mentioning before going any further.

For many years there were fences preventing some or most peole getting on the pitch.  The Spion Kop had perimeter fences put up in the summer of 1978.  These were serious fences with inward pointing spikes on top.  I think the spikes came off in 1989 after Hillsborough, but the fences remanined until the Kop was made all seater in the summer of 1994.  In addition, fences were also erected for a few years in front of the Main Stand enclosure and the East Stand seats.   I think they put those fences up in the Autumn of 1984, and they stayed up until 1989 - when most of them were removed (except for the away fans part of the East Stand).

The other important point to realise, is that when most of the fences came down (or had spikes removed) in 1989, it was because fences at Hillsborough had almost certainly contributed to the loss of life.  So there was a consensus amongst most football fans of how serious the issue was, and not to abuse the privilege of now being able to go on the pitch.   This general feeling was largely respected, although obviously there were exceptions ... although as time went on it lessened ... and now 32 years on, is pretty much non-existent.

Anyway, having got the caveats out of the way, here were the main ones since the mid 1970's:

1979-80 (Division 2) v Charlton Athletic.  Won 2-1.
There was a pitch invasion after we beat Charlton 2-1 in our last home match of the season.
It was a bit funny, as Chelsea could only draw at Swansea, which meant we were "nearly promoted" ... but not quite.
We would have to lose at Orient, and Chelsea would have to beat Oldham at home, and made up an 8 goal difference.

1981-82 (FA Cup Quarter Final) v Shrewsbury Town.  Won 5-2.
There was a pitch invasion after we won this pulsating FA Cup tie ... celebrating a truly amazing win which sealed a semi final place for the first time in 8 years.

1982-83 (Division 2) v Burnley.  Drew 0-0.
There was a big pitch invasion after the last match of the season.
The news came through that Fulham had lost 1-0 at Derby, and so the draw was enough to guarentee promotion.
It ended up being a weird day though, as we later heard that the Derby v Fulham game has ended 79 seconds prematurely ... and we didn't know if the Football League would order a rematch.

1990-91 (Division 2) v Oxford Utd.  Won 1-0.
There was a massive pitch invasion after the last match of the season.  Real spontaneous utter joy and relief at having stayed up.
West Brom could only draw 1-1 away to Bristol Rovers, so we were safe from relegation to the 3rd Division.

1991-92 (Division 2) v Newcastle Utd.  Lost 1-2
There was a pitch invasion at the end of a crazy match.
Before the game, a win may have got us automatic promotion, whilst a defeat could've relegated Newcastle.
In the end, other results meant that it matter what the result was ... we were in the playoffs and Newcastle were safe.
In a crazy end to the game, Steve Walsh headed an injury time equaliser, which prompted a mini invasion.
A few seconds later, he unfortunately put through his own goal ... at which point everyone came on the pitch.
Some Newcastle fans trying to get on the pitch were soon persuaded that it wasn't in their interest, and the day fizzled out in a non too pleasant atmosphere.

2001-02 (Premier League) v Tottenham Hotspur.  Won 2-1.
Last ever league match at Filbert Street, and a good old massive pitch invasion to end it all.
Lots of old ex City players walked around the pitch at the end, the club tannoy kept on asking "please keep off the pitch", but in the end everyone just ignored the ridiculous request, and peacefully came on.   Quite a few took some turf home with them!
A happy way to end the season and Filbert Street, but a bit sad and poignant.

(by way of completeness, it should be noted that Sheff Utd fans invaded the pitch after their 5-2 win at the end of the 1989-90 season.

It should be noted, however, they they only got on the pitch in big numbers, as they were given the whole of the East Stand ... and most of the fences had been removed the previous year.)

I was at all those matches, including the Sheff Utd game, apart from the last one against Spurs. The only pitch invasion I took part in was the one at the end of the Oxford match. I can't remember the pitch invasion after the Shrewsbury match but no doubt one took place. Didn't the Chelsea fans also invade the pitch when we beat them 2-0 in April 1989 and temporarily stopped them getting promoted or is my memory playing tricks on me? Incidentally, that was the same day as Hillsborough.

3 hours ago, ceredigion said:

I was at all those matches, including the Sheff Utd game, apart from the last one against Spurs. The only pitch invasion I took part in was the one at the end of the Oxford match. I can't remember the pitch invasion after the Shrewsbury match but no doubt one took place. Didn't the Chelsea fans also invade the pitch when we beat them 2-0 in April 1989 and temporarily stopped them getting promoted or is my memory playing tricks on me? Incidentally, that was the same day as Hillsborough.

The Shrewsbury one wasn't a full scale invasion, as all those in the Kop (pens 3 and 4) were stuck behind spiked fences.  But loads of others from the Main Stand enclosure, North Stand and East Stand were on the pitch at the end.

I don't think there was a pitch invasion from Chelsea.   Maybe a handful ran on, but nothing major.   There had been a bit of trouble in the ground earlier.  The City fans had been trying to climb over from the Main Stand corner, into the Double Decker to get at the Chelsea fans ... and there was a generally unpleasant air to proceedings.   Although this subsided when news of Hillsborough filtered through after the match.

• 8 months later...

As it happens, I was only recently thinking about Filbert Street and the KP. I recall the club mentioning in their development plans that the area between FS and the KP has been home to LCFC for over 130 years. Interested in some thoughts as to whether this has any impact on the way you view the KP? The latter of course is still said to lack character etc.

On 21/12/2007 at 17:11, Ashley said:

Uploaded this all them years ago. Just seen the thread again and flicking through. Photobucket the cvnts have put that watermark over them. Not sure where the original photos are

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davieG said:

May be an image of one or more people, stadium and outdoors

Incredible photos from the last ever home game at Filbert Street. Take it in.
Foxes 2-1 Spurs
11/05/2002

May be an image of one or more people, people standing, crowd and outdoors

I was amongst those stood on the edge of the pitch in front of pen one. We must have been there about 10 minutes before the end of the game, waiting for it to finish, it felt surreal to be so close to the action. I’d already started to dig up some turf (I wasn’t the only one), one of the stewards looked at me and said you could get arrested for that lol 

I then took the turf on a night out with us, watering it throughout the evening, before planting it in my garden the next morning. Unfortunately it didn’t last long :(

Edited by Vlad the Fox

• 1 month later...
On 17/02/2023 at 16:53, Spudulike said:

I think that I can spot myself in there... 

FB_IMG_1676652683816.jpg

Would've been an even bigger crowd that day but the club insisted on everyone having digital tickets and photo ID to get in.

Edited by Blue Fox 72