Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

Have you seen what planning consent there is on that site? It's absolute gold. No matter how much our owners are worth they'd get blown out of the water (i.e wouldn't match a bid through sentimentality alone) by a developer with the opportunity to build nearly 300 dwellings, just to have some football pitches or a museum.

Loved the old place. As in LOVED it.

I've never felt the same about the KP. Of course the new bowl is miles superior to the old ground in just about everything. But there was just something about Filbert Street.

Buy I think it was mainly about three things:

- my age (I was mainly a teen following us under Little and then O'Neil

- football in the 80's (now being a fan is tame by comparison)

- success (especially under Martin).

Football has changed. Filbert Street nowadays would not be the Filbert Street of old. It's gone all PC and family friendly. Watching football has just changed.

And I say this with good intentions...I genuinely feel for younger fans these days who will probably NEVER experience some of the things us older guys experienced in the 80's. Some good, some bad. But boy if you think crowds can be loud and raucous these days, it was NOTHING like it could be back then. I have so many memories of it.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 2

So many great memories of the old place. Believe me so many, since my first game there in 1968.

But I try my best to keep looking forward and I hope we continue to make Filbert Way into a better and better stadium over the next few years.

I love the idea of a park on the land, which could serve the local community and serve as a 'fans zone' on match days. You could even have a small memorial area for ashes of us old supporters who frequented Filbert Street regularly.

I don't think even our owners are rich enough to write off a few million doing that though.

I've never felt the same about the KP. Of course the new bowl is miles superior to the old ground in just about everything. But there was just something about Filbert Street.

Football has changed. Filbert Street nowadays would not be the Filbert Street of old. It's gone all PC and family friendly. Watching football has just changed.

And I say this with good intentions...I genuinely feel for younger fans these days who will probably NEVER experience some of the things us older guys experienced in the 80's. Some good, some bad. But boy if you think crowds can be loud and raucous these days, it was NOTHING like it could be back then. I have so many memories of it.

I once again find myself agreeing with you Col. I'm guessing we must be of a similar age reading your post. I know times have changed and there will always be pros and cons of today's football vs. the good old days. But I really miss Filbert street and the 80's/90's era. It's probably an age thing. I guess watching football in our teens/twenties is the best time for all of us - whatever decade or era. I'm just grateful I was in my early/mid twenties when we had all those Wembley trips under MON and Madrid away etc. Wouldnt change it for the world. Edited by Izzy Muzzett

I once again find myself agreeing with you Col. I'm guessing we must be of a similar age reading your post. I know times have changed and there will always be pros and cons of today's football vs. the good old days. But I really miss Filbert street and the 80's/90's era. It's probably an age thing. I guess watching football in our teens/twenties is the best time for all of us - whatever decade or era. I'm just grateful I was in my early/mid twenties when we had all those Wembley trips under MON and Madrid away etc. Wouldnt change it for the world.

:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Been calls for a park or a fan village on there ever since FS was demolished. Fan groups are really gonna have to pull their finger out if they want this to happen though, or it's lost forever. Get Soulsby on board, he likes throwing city funds at open spaces it seems.

Does anyone have a picture of the kop looking straight at it? Can only find ones from side angles, thanks.

Have a look in here there were plenty of pics posted although a lot of the links no longer exist.

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/45200-filbert-street-the-legendary-home-of-leicester-city-football-club/?hl=filbert

Or here

https://www.facebook.com/Filbert-street-1970s-photos-321158514733431/

I agree that Filbert St was a cracking place and the last decade there was so memorable (despite the appalling and disgraceful final one) and it would've been better to renovate the place to keep the character as well as modernise and expand it.

However, I think we are finally accepting Filbert Way as our home now. The football is good, the atmosphere is fantastic, full houses for the last 26 or so matches and a genuine big game feel about all of them now. It's taken a while- the first half decade was depressing as we struggled in the second tier with 10k empty seats but gradually things are improving and now home games are to be savoured again.

please stop suggesting fan/beer villages etc. the upkeep, business rates etc on a place that would only open up 20-30 a year would unfortunately never pull a profit and I get the feeling our owners are pretty shrewd business men and not idiots.

Don't get me wrong would love to see it but it will never happen.

The nostalgia associated with Filbert Street will always remain. I even remember, to much ridicule from my friends at the time, attending the first game at the Walkers Stadium and saying that I didn't like it and preferred Filbo. All I heard back was 'but this is bigger and state of the art... blah blah blah'. However, had we stayed at Filbert St, the amount of work that would have needed to be done to make it on a par with a lot of PL grounds would have made it barely unrecognisable. This thought alone allows me to visit the KP without crying now!