Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

I was selling pies and Bovril from one of those red and yellow huts on the day that Hillsborough happened. We were playing Chelsea and it was kicking off in the double decker.

Why it sticks in my mind is that most of the season I was based in the DD but someone was ill so I got moved. I was 16.

The following season I was moved again to the hot dog and burger stand that was between the main and south stands. We used to earn fantastic money with the scam we had going back then. You started off with a set number of stock but the guy I worked with had the key to the stores where the stock was kept so anything over the original stock we used to sell for our own gain. 

And before I'm amused of robbing the club, they farmed out all the catering to a private firm back then.

I also had a stint in the away pen, the stories I could tell you about that!

The good old days

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 21/12/2007 at 17:11, Ashley said:

Photo002.jpg

Such an apt photo!

On 23/06/2015 at 20:14, jammie82uk said:

no it was a prem league game just found this on youtube

I was there! Absolutely no way in hell a game like that would be allowed to go ahead these days!

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Does the council own the land where Filbert Street was and the barren wasteland now? 

No it belongs to the company that built on part of it already.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Does the council own the land where Filbert Street was and the barren wasteland now? 

No, they don't.

It's owned by the company that has partially only used some of the land (some student accommodation firm apparently).

The local council not too long ago demanded that firm cleans up the sorry mess of the wasteland area but the request had apparently fell on deaf ears for a while.

It just feels like a big opportunity wasted to make that whole area into something great.

The student block where the old ground was just doesn't look right for the area.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

29 minutes ago, davieG said:

No it belongs to the company that built on part of it already.

20 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

No, they don't.

It's owned by the company that has partially only used some of the land (some student accommodation firm apparently).

The local council not too long ago demanded that firm cleans up the sorry mess of the wasteland area but the request had apparently fell on deaf ears for a while.

It just feels like a big opportunity wasted to make that whole area into something great.

The student block where the old ground was just doesn't look right for the area.

Ah right

On 8/13/2017 at 22:43, Wymeswold fox said:

If they have some resources, and want to earn a few quid, clean it up and CHARGE them for it... or take over the land and have it owned by the council.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, davieG said:

126901681_10221261792912588_641126344790559960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=vL62D3KL8_QAX-jyi58&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=161a6ce2550254b73b4cabd10682c93c&oe=5FDD3DE3

Unknown

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Brilliant pic. That's how it should be. Community. 

In 1983 for the last game of the season vs Burnley there were 29,000 in the ground and hundreds were locked out.

A desperate fan tried to get onto the east stand roof towards the Filbert Street end through the back of those houses. He fell through the roof as the corrugated steel was rotting and gave way. Not sure how badly hurt he was.

Does anyone else recall the incident?

26 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

In 1983 for the last game of the season vs Burnley there were 29,000 in the ground and hundreds were locked out.

A desperate fan tried to get onto the east stand roof towards the Filbert Street end through the back of those houses. He fell through the roof as the corrugated steel was rotting and gave way. Not sure how badly hurt he was.

Does anyone else recall the incident?

Don't remember the roof incident but do recall being crushed in the Kop that day. Very dangerous but I don't think we knew quite how dangerous it was. 

22 minutes ago, Steven said:

Not sure that is how they felt. 

Quite, considering they didn’t want the ground moved/expanded or whatever the plan was. Mind you, you know the issues of the location when you buy a house.

But, more to my point, I

love houses surrounding a football ground. Not many left in the top flight now. Love walking up to the likes of Goodison Park.

Edited by Fox92