Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

17 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

In 1983 for the last game of the season vs Burnley there were 29,000 in the ground and hundreds were locked out.

A desperate fan tried to get onto the east stand roof towards the Filbert Street end through the back of those houses. He fell through the roof as the corrugated steel was rotting and gave way. Not sure how badly hurt he was.

Does anyone else recall the incident?

I don’t think he does

3 hours ago, whitlock said:

Leicester tweeted a while back a few snaps from last game at Filbert Street.

The photo included my dad, brother and me queueing up into the ground for the last time, in some questionable hats!

661E5D4C-5B8A-46DB-A97A-13986D0651F2.jpeg

That was next to my entrance to the stadium. They had the blue seats in the corner and we were in the first batch of orange seats.

I have loads of pictures on the pitch after the final match. Bet there's a fair few people from on here in the background. Will have to upload them someday.

• Like 1

Played there once in the County Cup Final for my high School team. 

Market Bosworth High School versus Winstanley.  - it was even shown on the local cable network at the time! lol. 

I'm sure it was towards the end of the time at Filbert Street.

Obviously, the mighty Market Bosworth won the game. 

48 minutes ago, Rain King said:

That was next to my entrance to the stadium. They had the blue seats in the corner and we were in the first batch of orange seats.

I have loads of pictures on the pitch after the final match. Bet there's a fair few people from on here in the background. Will have to upload them someday.

That would be awesome if you could do.

I remember coming home with some turf in a burger box and planting it back at home.

Loved that ground.

On 02/04/2016 at 12:38, fuchsntf said:

What makes this worse..many, many years ago LCFC offered to buy up the houses to extend

develope and improve Filbert street.There were only a few dissenters, who often complained

on match days, plus a couple of generations councils refused to support the idea.

60s,70s,80s had FC, shopping, night-club (like Baileys of old) with serious suggestions even with

plans and sketches......

Now we have FFS a peoples made dump, officially supported by the council, because they put

no protection or ignored the dumping ground for yonks.Oh yes the council are just as much to

blame..!!! Maybe 2 golfing buddies bought the land for speculation.

If I remember right, the group who bought and built the Fosseshopping complex, were the same

who wanted to invest with LCFC.

Before the KP , the council were very negative towards suggestions of Complex developements

for City, and other Leisure come shopping areas. One reason we never grew as a city.

Blimey.  @Out Foxed      .it you had come a Bit later...My Coffin nails, would be somewhat rusty.....:giggle:a

Though I can say form is temporary...but my Class stays permanent..:blush:

On 21/11/2020 at 12:27, Blue Fox 72 said:

In 1983 for the last game of the season vs Burnley there were 29,000 in the ground and hundreds were locked out.

A desperate fan tried to get onto the east stand roof towards the Filbert Street end through the back of those houses. He fell through the roof as the corrugated steel was rotting and gave way. Not sure how badly hurt he was.

Does anyone else recall the incident?

I was there when the guy fell through the roof, but I thought it was Spurs.  No idea of the date but more likely late sixties for me. See my post in “I was there!”  thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I wish that I was young enough to have not been. :(

Me too, in a way, but with rose coloured specs on, we’ll never forget the good memories- raw atmosphere of local derbies and night games, the smells, the unexpected victories against the big boys, quirkiness and individuality of the different stands, expectation and excitement as a young supporter in the  70s and 80s , MON era etc.

And yes, before anyone chips in, there were of course the ugly things- hooligans, racism, disgusting toilets, crap food (but I loved it) etc etc. 

• Like 2