Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Mix bag really,the wife probably set a record.She had to go to the medical tent after 2 miles,she has had some tightening in her calf last week and it flared up after a few miles,really tightened after 14, but battled through to make 5hrs 04min.Well below what she wanted and she felt frustrated after all the training she had endured in all weathers,but I stand up to ANYONE who trains and completes this.so proud of her tonight.

That's a great effort. One of my favourite parts of the course is around Big Ben. You really get the feeling that you've about done it, the crowds are massive and very noisy boisterous and most importantly you know that if you cramp up, pull something or pick up some other injury you are in striking distance of the finish line to hobble home. To have to run 24 miles like that is superb and she should be proud as it can be a long and lonely struggle when your fit.

That's a great effort. One of my favourite parts of the course is around Big Ben. You really get the feeling that you've about done it, the crowds are massive and very noisy boisterous and most importantly you know that if you cramp up, pull something or pick up some other injury you are in striking distance of the finish line to hobble home. To have to run 24 miles like that is superb and she should be proud as it can be a long and lonely struggle when your fit.

Much better than the run through Canary Wharf..... still get nightmares about it! 

I remember I used to be able to go for jog for about 70 minutes non stop but for the last few weeks i've struggling I'm only seem to able to do 30 minutes now! Not sure what's gone, I use to have alot of energy before going for a jog but now it seems such a tiring chore. Anyone got any advice what i should take before for going for a jog?

Have you changed your routine, time of day etc.?

Mix bag really,the wife probably set a record.She had to go to the medical tent after 2 miles,she has had some tightening in her calf last week and it flared up after a few miles,really tightened after 14, but battled through to make 5hrs 04min.Well below what she wanted and she felt frustrated after all the training she had endured in all weathers,but I stand up to ANYONE who trains and completes this.so proud of her tonight.

You should be proud. It is hard work and the training...... I have a half-marathon time of around 1hr50 (not that quick but it is ok) and that 'should' have put me on course for a sub 4hr marathon. 'should' is the word there! You can't predict it. The only marathon I have done was London 2012 and I finished it in 4hr23. It was strange, because of the crowds of runners there was a lot of a stopping and starting at the beginning which meant that I had to chase the pace I wanted (sub 4) because I was behind. This meant I was running faster than I wanted to. I 'blew up' at about 18 miles (really tough) and on top of that turned my ankle going through a drinks station (bottles on the floor). I was behind the time I wanted, really hurting and sore which psyched me out - my aim then was to finish. You can do all the preparation in the world (and you really do need to do it) but you cannot predict how it is going to go on the day. I didn't run for nearly a year after that. Back to it now - Royal Parks Half in October and will probably look at doing another Full marathon after that - unfinished business! Well done to your wife! She deserves to be congratulated!

You should be proud. It is hard work and the training...... I have a half-marathon time of around 1hr50 (not that quick but it is ok) and that 'should' have put me on course for a sub 4hr marathon. 'should' is the word there! You can't predict it. The only marathon I have done was London 2012 and I finished it in 4hr23. It was strange, because of the crowds of runners there was a lot of a stopping and starting at the beginning which meant that I had to chase the pace I wanted (sub 4) because I was behind. This meant I was running faster than I wanted to. I 'blew up' at about 18 miles (really tough) and on top of that turned my ankle going through a drinks station (bottles on the floor). I was behind the time I wanted, really hurting and sore which psyched me out - my aim then was to finish. You can do all the preparation in the world (and you really do need to do it) but you cannot predict how it is going to go on the day. I didn't run for nearly a year after that. Back to it now - Royal Parks Half in October and will probably look at doing another Full marathon after that - unfinished business! Well done to your wife! She deserves to be congratulated!

Same thing happened to me on the last marathon I did. I did my last 20 mile training run up and down the hills at seagrave and six hills in 3 hours so was quietly confident of sub 4. On the day I found the sub 4 runners world pacer and followed several yards behind him, but the amount of slowing down and speeding up as others just cut across you trying to follow him as well burnt me out, I let him go at about 12 miles and finally finished about 4:21 (pb) though the GPS tracker had me hitting the 26.2 at about 4:15. Because of the crowds I think it's hard to hit your best possible times plus I also find it exhausting getting tubes and mooching about london the day before which can't help that much.

I found London hard because of the crowds and I think it's quite a narrow course.

I know about the losing of the mojo. After doing 3 complete training blocks (London and Leicester 2013 then Edinburgh 2013) with a handful of 1/2 thrown in too I simy can't face training for another one just yet. I know it's a mental problem but its jus not the right time.

Just to let anyone who might be interested know, the ballot for the 2015 London marathon is now open.

Already done( for the wife obviously) but good shout.

Re the wifes injury took to the non emergency A & E over the weekend as the bruising is all down her leg,torn calf muscle by the sounds of it.Rest,but should be fine.Considering it totally went at mile 14 clocking 5 hr 04? Is not too shabby.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been for a 5k run, and my feet are in agony. I think I run on my instep, and I get pretty bad blisters on the bits below my big toes. I'm considering getting my gait taken and buying specially adapted running shoes (I have running shoes now, but just £35 standard Nike ones), but it's quite expensive.

What would people's advice be?

Just been for a 5k run, and my feet are in agony. I think I run on my instep, and I get pretty bad blisters on the bits below my big toes. I'm considering getting my gait taken and buying specially adapted running shoes (I have running shoes now, but just £35 standard Nike ones), but it's quite expensive.

Don't bother with all that running crap.

• 1 month later...

I decided recently that I'm gonna aim for the Leicester Marathon in October. Did a half back in Cardiff and loved it, so started an intensive training schedule this week, joined a running club and I'm feeling pretty excited.

Anyone else here running the full 26? Any advice on adapting to the full, as it's my first time?

I decided recently that I'm gonna aim for the Leicester Marathon in October. Did a half back in Cardiff and loved it, so started an intensive training schedule this week, joined a running club and I'm feeling pretty excited.

Anyone else here running the full 26? Any advice on adapting to the full, as it's my first time?

I've ran a half and a full.

For training, it sounds obvious but create a plan and stick to it (lots of examples are online). You want to do about 20 miles 3 weeks out, then take your long runs back down to 17-18 miles for the last three weeks to avoid injury. I was running 7 miles three times a week and doing about 18 as a long run.

For the full you probably will need energy gels. I didn't plan for this because the marathon I did said they would provide them. They did, but I hadn't had that brand before and they were nasty.

I also didn't take my hydration belt because of the water stations. Another big mistake, they were not positioned where I needed them and trying to run and drink from a crap paper cup is hard. I didn't stay hydrated and cramped up. The moral of that story is, whatever you do in training do it on the day.

The other thing is that the marathon started first thing in the morning, and it was cold. So, take an old jumper that you don't mind dumping and leaving at the start and never see again. And then have the kit you've been training in underneath.

The difference from the half is quite big, but take your time and don't worry about trying to break any records.

Oh, and I need to listen to my own advice after gaining about 50lbs since I ran the marathon. Arse.

I've ran a half and a full.

For training, it sounds obvious but create a plan and stick to it (lots of examples are online). You want to do about 20 miles 3 weeks out, then take your long runs back down to 17-18 miles for the last three weeks to avoid injury. I was running 7 miles three times a week and doing about 18 as a long run.

For the full you probably will need energy gels. I didn't plan for this because the marathon I did said they would provide them. They did, but I hadn't had that brand before and they were nasty.

I also didn't take my hydration belt because of the water stations. Another big mistake, they were not positioned where I needed them and trying to run and drink from a crap paper cup is hard. I didn't stay hydrated and cramped up. The moral of that story is, whatever you do in training do it on the day.

The other thing is that the marathon started first thing in the morning, and it was cold. So, take an old jumper that you don't mind dumping and leaving at the start and never see again. And then have the kit you've been training in underneath.

The difference from the half is quite big, but take your time and don't worry about trying to break any records.

Oh, and I need to listen to my own advice after gaining about 50lbs since I ran the marathon. Arse.

Thanks for the advice BB!

I took a schedule from online for intermediate runners and it seems to follow that plan. Biggest run is 20 miles three weeks before and then it tones it down a bit after that.

Planning to do another half (Northampton in September) before the big day, as well as several park-runs & other smaller races to build up my fitness.

Heard a lot about 'the wall' around 21-22 miles - is that something you experienced, and if so how much of a factor was it?

Thanks for the advice BB!

I took a schedule from online for intermediate runners and it seems to follow that plan. Biggest run is 20 miles three weeks before and then it tones it down a bit after that.

Planning to do another half (Northampton in September) before the big day, as well as several park-runs & other smaller races to build up my fitness.

Heard a lot about 'the wall' around 21-22 miles - is that something you experienced, and if so how much of a factor was it?

Because I didn't replicate my training (and also arrived back from Haiti at 12 midnight the night before), I got bad cramp at about mile 16. So, I was screwed but pushed on. I think about 21-22 I actually picked up because I felt the end was coming.

If you've trained properly and stick to your pace at the beginning you'll be fine. Oh, that's the other thing, they might have pace groups. I started with mine, got bored, sped off and then got overtaken. If they have pace groups I highly recommend staying with them!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went for the first time this month and did another one the following week, missed a couple now though. It's a bit of a trek from Birstall.

Love the event though, usually get a good 350 people rocking up for a run.

Want to try and grab a sub-20 next time. Best result so far is 23rd but that was 20:28.

Anyone running at Leicester in four weeks?

It's gonna be my first marathon so I'm excited about it but injuries have wrecked my training. Managed to get a 20-mile long run in Sunday so hopefully I'll be able to hold it together on the day.

• 4 weeks later...

The gait part wasn't all that important to me. They'll probably just give you some neutral shoes. The bigger issue was that my shoes were too small. My running store recommended buying trainers 1 size bigger because your feet expand while running. Also, I found it important to get some proper running socks, I use Feetures! socks.

My favourite brand of trainers is Brooks, because I am heavy I use their Glycerin model. I buy previous seasons models (Glycerin 9) on Amazon, a. because I like that particular model and b. because they are cheaper than the current ones. Problem is testing them out before trying if they are not available at a running store.

Archived