Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

I bought a washing machine from Currys last week and every day since I have had at least 3 calls from different numbers calling about accidents etc. They must have passed my number on the moment I bought it. I've signed up for all the things that supposedly block these calls but evidently not working.

24 minutes ago, pds said:

I bought a washing machine from Currys last week and every day since I have had at least 3 calls from different numbers calling about accidents etc. They must have passed my number on the moment I bought it. I've signed up for all the things that supposedly block these calls but evidently not working.

I've found if you waste their time and lead them on until they hang up in a rage, they stop pestering you.

45 minutes ago, pds said:

Never give your name or details to companies like that ...   if they say that you need it for the guarantee or if anything goes wrong point out thats cr@p and that the till receipt is sufficient for that.   If they still insist by saying the computer won't let them process it without your details then tell them to put in a row of xxxx's ...       As for the phonecalls ask who they are and how they got your details and advise them if they do not remove them you will report their company.    Might not work every time but often does.

1 hour ago, pds said:

I used to work for Currys a long time ago mate and trust me, they're NOT allowed to pass your number on to any 3rd party. If they or any major retailer got caught doing this, they'd be fined vast amounts of money and the publicity would cripple them.

I know it seems like too much of a coincidence that the calls started the day after you bought your Washing machine, but it is a coincidence none the less...

7 hours ago, pds said:

Have you signed up with the Telephone Preference Service? My daughter was being hassled night and day, but since I added her number it has all but stopped. The one call she had, I reported. She's had nothing since.

Izzy is right - they can be fined £500,000.

• Like 1

Not really a gear grinder, more amusing tbh ...

Leicester Mercury business awards ...    The 'Contribution  to the community' award in particular ...    hmmmm .....   well there's that football team, you know the one that won the Prem and turned this city on its head ..  what do you reckon ??   Nope, they came second.     The winner was ....    wait for it ...    G Seller & Co Funeral Directors !!  lol ....     Got nothing against funeral Directors and I'm sure they are brilliant ...    but c'mon.          Maybe they were offering a two for one sale or something ...   :)

Next Home. My daughters new bed was supposed to be delivered on Saturday. Sold my daughters old bed on the Friday to then get a phonecall at 8pm Friday saying the new bed and mattress wont be delivered until May 5th. You would have thought they would know sooner that they were having problems with the order.

So i'm camping out on the sofa for a week. It's a good job the sofa is comfy lol 

11 minutes ago, Parafox said:

The new LRI A&E.

Arrived with a patient yesterday at 4:20 pm.

Offloaded her into the department at 8:15 pm

My advice to you paramedics is this,  offload the patient first,  before you have a snooze in the cab and then eat your sandwiches  ...    :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

The new LRI A&E.

Maybe you should direct your criticism where it belongs.

Perhaps if the govt hadn't stopped nursing bursaries, and hadn't made all the EU staff feel insecure and unwelcome by treating them as a Brexit bargaining chip, the NHS just might be running a bit more efficiently.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

The new LRI A&E.

See now this sort of thing REALLY grinds my gears... this problem is caused by a lack of staffing in hospitals... The UK, like most of the developed world has a problem with unemployment... that is absurd, these two problems can be solved at the one time... 

Employ more doctors and nurses, reduce unemployment and cut ramping times.

So ****ING easy...and with an election coming up... no one is addressing it.

11 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

See now this sort of thing REALLY grinds my gears... this problem is caused by a lack of staffing in hospitals... The UK, like most of the developed world has a problem with unemployment... that is absurd, these two problems can be solved at the one time... 

Employ more doctors and nurses, reduce unemployment and cut ramping times.

So ****ING easy...and with an election coming up... no one is addressing it.

Yeah, easy, let's get Joe blogs out of that dole line and working as a doctor. lol

Muppet will probably nick most of the meds but bet you he'll work fast! 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Yeah, easy, let's get Joe blogs out of that dole line and working as a doctor. lol

Muppet will probably nick most of the meds but bet you he'll work fast! 

In 2010, the British Medical Association put the number of unemployed junior doctors in the UK at around 3,000 

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

lol need to bring in some from overse.... oh right

Way to dodge. Your unemployed doctors from 2010 (lol) either vanished or can't be arsed to work. 

So again, do we get Joe blogs out of the dole line to be a doctor? 

Even IF we could fund doctor/nurse training for the masses, I can guarantee you not many currently on the dole are cut out for it. Not quite an easy solution eh? 

Just now, Innovindil said:

Way to dodge. Your unemployed doctors from 2010 (lol) either vanished or can't be arsed to work. 

So again, do we get Joe blogs out of the dole line to be a doctor? 

Even IF we could fund doctor/nurse training for the masses, I can guarantee you not many currently on the dole are cut out for it. Not quite an easy solution eh? 

Yep you are right, there is no answer, just ignore it, itll be fine.

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Yep you are right, there is no answer, just ignore it, itll be fine.

Why are you trying to twist what I'm saying? lol

I didn't say there wasn't a solution, I said the easy way of getting dolers playing Doctor isn't one. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Why are you trying to twist what I'm saying? lol

I didn't say there wasn't a solution, I said the easy way of getting dolers playing Doctor isn't one. :rolleyes:

Whats your solution then... apparently the "dolers" arent capable of being trained to be doctors and nurses?

11 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Whats your solution then... apparently the "dolers" arent capable of being trained to be doctors and nurses?

Have you seen the dole line? Do they look capable of being doctors and nurses to you? 

The solution comes from making being a doctor or nurse more appealing. I dare say I probably have the intelligence to become a nurse, but why on earth would I? You have to spend years training (whilst paying for it), all to end up in a long hour, high stress, fairly shite paid job. Not to mention if you mess up in any way you'll be looking at getting sued/losing your license which you spent all that time and money on. You'll have to watch people die on a regularly basis forcing you to embrace your own mortality every day. 

Sure on the positive side you'd get to go home thinking you've done your bit and helped people, but does it outweigh the negatives? Not for me I'm afraid. 

The only way I'd consider it (or would have back when I was in school) would probably be to see the training given for free, and a giant paycheck at the end of it, with an early retirement and decent pension. 

Guest MattP
31 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

If what we hear is true half of these people end up being sanctioned because they can't get to an appointment or interview on time despite having the whole day free. We would all love to live in a perfect World where everyone is equal and a blind, deaf, one armed gorilla with learning difficulties could do the odd bit of open heart surgery to help out but it's just not realistic.

If someone is in the dole queue, they probably aren't capable of being a Doctor.

Edited by MattP