Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Miquel The Work Geordie

Music you HATE/LOATHE/DETESTE/DEPLORE.

Most modern Techno, Dance, R&B and Hip Hop/Rap tracks...

And almost everything on the radio.

Always makes me laugh when people use "techno" as a catch-all genre name... and "dance" for that matter.

Anyway I loathe most music that involves a guitarist, bass guitarist, drummer and a singer.

THE fooking TING TINGS!!!! - They sound wank, and the lyrics are some of the worst i've ever heard - they mean nothing!. Yet, everyone bums them! :/

Pigeon Detectives - All their songs are about the same ****ing things! And they all sound exactly the same! It's bands like this that give the Indie genre a bad name.

The Enemy - Poor man's Jam.

Just about all modern "Indie" that the NME bums.

Scouting For Girls type bands.

Sample chorus: "She's so lovely, she's so lovely, she's so lovely... [pause]... she's so lovely" taken from the song She's So Lovely.

This modern American chart RnB stuff - Soulja Boy etc. And Kanye West, but that's just a personal thing. Don't see the attraction there whatsoever.

Also the more noodly, bollocksy end of post-rock.

Chart dance, Ibiza-type rubbish.

And most of all country music which is probably the only genre I can't stand at all. Anything else has a sliding scale from brilliant to garbage and sub-genres within each one that maybe show the whole things in their worst light.

Modern music is rubbish.

Almost everything currently made - it is either soulless or talentless.

Indie - the entire genre has become bastardised by floppy-haired students with crap facial hair who all use one guitar effects peddle. Nothing of any note has come from this scene for so long (aside from those who existed in a time when music meant something)

Dance/R&B/Soul - What a shockingly depressing pile of shite gets produced here. Once upon a time soul meant something, rhythm and blues meant something - creativity and talent, songs from the heart delivered in a style that made the hair on your neck stand up. Now every moron with a home studio and a pair of CD players thinks he can produce something despite not having had any formal training on an instrument. If you can't play an instrument competently then you shouldn't be allowed in a studio. Ever.

Pop - I've been producing a series of disks for a big summer "do". Obviously I need to throw in something for all ages but not have anything that would upset sensibilities, so I have stuck within pop for the most part. There's simply so much that can be used from the 30's onwards...until you start to hit the last 10-15 years. Nothing, absolutely nothing of any lasting quality has been produced in this time compared to the previous decades.

Rap - Yo niga muthafukka drive-by rap, where every "song" claims the idiot at the mike is busting the biggest rhymes. Pathetic gang-mentality and glorification of violence while displaying racism, sexist and misogynistic attitudes. And, not forgetting, that rhyming a couple of words and talking is a talent I ascribe to almost all children 4+yrs old. Even the bland rap of mainstream acts is pretty lame.

Modern punk - it's shit. Especially that Americanised version where everyone sounds the same (what's their name again?)

Goth - Sorry? What? This ceased to be a genre since 1989. What purports to be 'gothic' is nothing more than power pop with a grumpy face.

There are exceptions, but not many.

It's not just the bands either - gigs are a joke, the prices charged to see performances now have risen exponentially while what gets served up plummets in quality. Festivals are laughable - people actually rush to buy tickets for identikit events, for the right to then pay daft money for beer and food.

When was the last 'movement'? As a kid I enjoyed living through a Rockers & Mods revival, Punk, Ska, New Romanticism, New Wave, Goth and then Indie. They were all original, a development or an original twist of pop culture - along with a strong rock and reggae sector and inventive pop. Gigs were cheap, band T-shirts were cheaper and you could take your own bottles into festivals.

Where's the ****ing originality these days?

This thread is destined to end in one argument...

No it isnt :cool:

M: I came here for a good argument.

A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

A: It can be.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

A: No it isn't.

M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.

A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'

A: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

* thanks to Monty...from a time when music meant something...we just are not sure what

It's not just the bands either - gigs are a joke, the prices charged to see performances now have risen exponentially while what gets served up plummets in quality. Festivals are laughable - people actually rush to buy tickets for identikit events, for the right to then pay daft money for beer and food.

This is what really pisses me off, festival prices go up as the bands get worse! My dad was telling me the other day about a festival he went to in the early 70s, where he saw Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Eagles and loads more. It cost virtually nothing! Now here we are forking out nearly £200 to go to festivals with a line up of bands not fit to eat Robert Plant's sh*t.

It does if you're planning on having them round. I'll make them fight British Sea Power, who will undoubtedly win

I like British Sea Power much more than I like The Enemy.

I feel that the lighthouse is back on.

But the Lighthouse Family are NOT coming round (actually - do they own all the lighthouses in the world?)

If I had a band, I'd call it the Railway Children.

Festivals are laughable - people actually rush to buy tickets for identikit events, for the right to then pay daft money for beer and food.

Not in Serbia. Seriously though Exit Festival takes the piss out of pretty much any British festival. Perfect weather, original acts, beautiful setting and £1 a pint. Not all festivals happen in Leeds and Reading y'know...

I agree with a lot of what you said but originality IS there, maybe you just don't know where to look or you've given up the search?

I agree with pretty much everyone's said.

All that over produced nonesence like sam sparro irritates me.

All those bland boring so called 'Indie' Bands like The kooks, Pigeon detectives, ...they are not indie they are dull, turgid rubbish.

Heavy metal, long haired, terrible clothes,.....whats the point?

Pretty much all new american music, bland r & b, Rap that all sounds the same...look at my car, look at my watch...just shut the hell up already.

I agree with the new punk thing, its not new punk its pop music mmade buy middle class americans.

There are good bands out there most don't get too much airplay. Most of the bands I liked in the last 5 years no longer exists.

I listened (for my sins) to chris moyles the other week he played Jack Johson and Moyles said 'I cant stand folk music', so Jack Johnson is folk music eh Chris? Moyles hasn't got a **** clue, give that man Blood on the tracks and he'll be confused, I don't understand??/ Meaningful, clever lyrics with a point, this is not scouting for girls, this is not The feeling I'm scared....and these are the people who influence the kids, I don't understand why people listen to all the trash thats around...why...what can you possibly get out of it?

Because the dullest, blandest music seems to appeal to the masses.

I agree with a lot of what you said but originality IS there, maybe you just don't know where to look or you've given up the search?

I said there were exceptions - but in comparison to national annual musical output the number of acts with a bit of quality constitute the smallest percentage there has ever been.

On top of that - new acts with the staying power to be performing in 10-30 years time are negligible. The only genres I've listened to recently where I can see myself still listening to the same album for a long period of time have come from the dub or trip-hop sector...and even then, they're hardly breaking any barriers.

There are no ground-shaking developments in music - there hasn't been for almost two decades. Music has ceased to have a validity as it used to have and has moved from being a way of life to just being a backdrop to life: It's not 'wrong' but it is a bit sad for anyone who never experienced music when it was vital.

I said there were exceptions - but in comparison to national annual musical output the number of acts with a bit of quality constitute the smallest percentage there has ever been.

On top of that - new acts with the staying power to be performing in 10-30 years time are negligible. The only genres I've listened to recently where I can see myself still listening to the same album for a long period of time have come from the dub or trip-hop sector...and even then, they're hardly breaking any barriers.

There are no ground-shaking developments in music - there hasn't been for almost two decades. Music has ceased to have a validity as it used to have and has moved from being a way of life to just being a backdrop to life: It's not 'wrong' but it is a bit sad for anyone who never experienced music when it was vital.

Can't argue with that bold bit. When you look at the music business as a whole (which I rarely do) it certainly looks jaded. That's why I rarely listen to guitar-based bands - the whole sound just comes across as dated. Everything has been done before. It takes a truly special band like Radiohead or Pink Floyd to tempt me... I can't think of ANY band that really comes close to what they achieved over the years (not the album sales they achieved, but the sound they achieved).

I think the fact I rarely look at the overall music industry means I'm blissfully unaware of how crap things are. I just focus on my little pockets of interest and every week (often with help from Jay!) find a new producer, a new group, a new singer, a new sound. That's why I'm not too fussed when people go on about how shit things are nowadays, how the old days were oh so much better. To me, the music I listen to now DOES mean something. When I'm standing in a field at 6 in the morning and I see thousands of people dancing in the sunshine I know that music still means a hell of a lot to a hell of a lot of people.

When I hear relatively new labels like Tru Thoughts continue to push forward the sounds of hip hop, soul, jazz and funk it blinds me to the problems elsewhere. Same thing as when I go to a club or a gig or when I get recommended an album, or recommend one of my own. And there may not be ground-shaking developments that affect the music industry as a whole but within genres you get big, exciting changes. The arrival of dubstep for example.

As I said I'm agreeing with much of what you say but I don't let the ugly mar the good. And there's still a lot of good out there.

Modern music is rubbish.

Indie - the entire genre has become bastardised by floppy-haired students with crap facial hair who all use one guitar effects peddle. Nothing of any note has come from this scene for so long (aside from those who existed in a time when music meant something)

Dance/R&B/Soul - What a shockingly depressing pile of shite gets produced here. Once upon a time soul meant something, rhythm and blues meant something - creativity and talent, songs from the heart delivered in a style that made the hair on your neck stand up. Now every moron with a home studio and a pair of CD players thinks he can produce something despite not having had any formal training on an instrument. If you can't play an instrument competently then you shouldn't be allowed in a studio. Ever.

Pop - I've been producing a series of disks for a big summer "do". Obviously I need to throw in something for all ages but not have anything that would upset sensibilities, so I have stuck within pop for the most part. There's simply so much that can be used from the 30's onwards...until you start to hit the last 10-15 years. Nothing, absolutely nothing of any lasting quality has been produced in this time compared to the previous decades.

Rap - Yo niga muthafukka drive-by rap, where every "song" claims the idiot at the mike is busting the biggest rhymes. Pathetic gang-mentality and glorification of violence while displaying racism, sexist and misogynistic attitudes. And, not forgetting, that rhyming a couple of words and talking is a talent I ascribe to almost all children 4+yrs old. Even the bland rap of mainstream acts is pretty lame.

Modern punk - it's shit. Especially that Americanised version where everyone sounds the same (what's their name again?)

Goth - Sorry? What? This ceased to be a genre since 1989. What purports to be 'gothic' is nothing more than power pop with a grumpy face.

When was the last 'movement'? As a kid I enjoyed living through a Rockers & Mods revival, Punk, Ska, New Romanticism, New Wave, Goth and then Indie. They were all original, a development or an original twist of pop culture - along with a strong rock and reggae sector and inventive pop. Gigs were cheap, band T-shirts were cheaper and you could take your own bottles into festivals.

Have to say i agree with all that. Hit the nail directly on the head especially the last comment about there being no originality about these days!

All well said! :clap:

Modern music is rubbish.

I'm a huge hip-hop head and well don't lump radio shit with all the good stuff. If you are more general like 50 Cent/The Game/Lil Wayne are cock sucking arse bandits I would agree. Most hip-hop heads hate radio hip-hop and gangsta rap.

My person hate is Coldplay I want to actually curl up into a little ball and shake everytime I hear they tripe... I'd add all boy/girl bands into that mix too..

There is creativity out there but you won't hear it on the radio, the corporate music industry has stopped selling creative artists because they can't rely on record sales, one band sells well and five pop up doing the exact same thing to cash in..

I'm a huge hip-hop head and well don't lump radio shit with all the good stuff. If you are more general like 50 Cent/The Game/Lil Wayne are cock sucking arse bandits I would agree. Most hip-hop heads hate radio hip-hop and gangsta rap.

My person hate is Coldplay I want to actually curl up into a little ball and shake everytime I hear they tripe... I'd add all boy/girl bands into that mix too..

Your wrong there.

These two are quite highly regarded for mainstream artists.

And at one point 50 Cent was looked upon as being the next best thing since Tupac, that just went to pot.

Always makes me laugh when people use "techno" as a catch-all genre name... and "dance" for that matter. Anyway I loathe most music that involves a guitarist, bass guitarist, drummer and a singer.

It is annoying, still.

Archived