Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Miquel The Work Geordie

Music you HATE/LOATHE/DETESTE/DEPLORE.

It went from niche to mainstream in the UK. I alluded to the fact that it was already a style of its own in Jamaica - my point was that the 2-tone movement took Jamaican Ska and added a dimension in a way that the modern indie scene hasn't done to what went before. It wasn't a straight copy of Jamaican Ska as it built on the punk/reggae fusion of the 70's that preceeded it, blended with the Mod scene and rocksteady. In doing so it created a brand new sub-culture and that is something that certainly hasn't been achieved by modern indie bands.

I think this could go on for a very long time.

I'm not Totally disagreeing with you, But every type of music is derived from an earlier source, it's just natural progression.

There is still decent music out there we all know what we like we have to go out and find it thats all.

You answer a specific point and people go "Oh but there's other genres you know" or you try to include more and get accused of generalising or writing an essay-like rant.

Apologies for having any opinions on the matter - I should have realised that being as old as a Grandad I should confine myself to posting:

• It's too loud
  • I can't make out the words and
  • It was all better in my day, the songs had tunes you could sing along to. Oh Ethel Merman, now there was a classy singer....

Oh come on Daggers, don't get all defensive!

I can only speak for myself but I reckon Fez amongst others will probably agree. The reason I vehemently defend modern music (or at least the genres, sub-genres, artists and producers that are worth defending) is ultimately because I want to spread the word about the stuff I listen to. I spend ages on here giving and recieving recommendations and my music collection is all the better for it.

There's so much good stuff out there it frustrates me when I see you drawing daft comparisons in an attempt to make modern music look rubbish. In any case I've seen you get excited by RJD2 and The Roots and other stuff that Grandads shouldn't be listening to :D ... There's hope yet.

How is it any more nebulous than any other construct aimed at pigeon-holing an artist's product? To use the term in an attempt to denigrate its mention simply belies a misinterpretation of the original sense.

For someone who will quite happily wave a banner when a post is being racist or homophobic you seem to have no problem in being ageist in order to insult and disregard a point of view. Who the fuck are you to tell me what I can and can't post?

Look at the title of the thread, child. You see what it says there? Being an internet forum I feel quite at liberty to have a post on any topic of my choosing especially if the title asks for my chosen hates. So, rather than being immature and insulting, how about coming up with a few ideas of your own?

I think you've taken me a mite more seriously than I intended here.

I think the problem with all music I find today is that it's very very hard to find some original good albums. We all have our own personal musical tastes and these will change over the years.

I am a underground hip-hop head which means for one I have to hunt for obscure artists who will never make it big, I do hate mainstream rap (as stated before) but there are rappers out there who are pushing boundaries in sound and in content. Buck 65 is in the bracket his muscial taste is so broad and it's influanced it's music no end to a point where he's really a sub-genre of his own.

I am a huge fan of social conscious music from Brother Ali to Michael Franti and Spearhead. Thankfully with the world climate right now alot more of these artists are comming about and it's a more educated and evolved form of what was around previously. Anything you hear on the radio doesn't really challenge the listener and is pointless. Coldcut (pioneers of dance music) are still doing very political music which is great to dance too today, yet I've never head Timber or paul hardcastles' V on the radio.

If you want to find something better than NME trash and what not, hunt for it because you won't get handed to you.

This thread is now making me giggle for all the wrong reasons.... it could soon disappear up its own arse. I imagine it was started with the intention of being a fairly lighthearted way of people expressing their own opinions - whether others agree with those opinions or not is really completely irrelevant.

Handbag, anyone? (Oh and Bellend Sebastian, can I have a cup of tea, please? I'll bring some biccys) :thumbup:

:D

This thread is now making me giggle for all the wrong reasons.... it could soon disappear up its own arse. I imagine it was started with the intention of being a fairly lighthearted way of people expressing their own opinions - whether others agree with those opinions or not is really completely irrelevant.

I hate Coldplay.

(And we're back on track ;) ).

I hate the Smiths.

Boy do I love tea though.

One out of two's not bad.

Handbag, anyone? (Oh and Bellend Sebastian, can I have a cup of tea, please? I'll bring some biccys) :thumbup:

As long as they're nice ones (but not 'Nice' ones - they're horrid), you have yourself a deal.

In other news, I've always hated Simply Red

There are no ground-shaking developments in music - .

iceland - totally where it is at :thumbup:

Most of the big grunge bands of the 90's were more influenced by the classic rock they grew up on. While you could hear the influence of US punk from the Stooges through to 80's hardcore on some bands this existed more on the fringes (less popular bands) or foundations (Mother Love Bone/Green River/early Nirvana) of the genre.

For sheer number of good bands the 90's takes some beating. Just taking the time digging beneath the surface of say, US indie, is endlessly rewarding.

a little general, i think, especially if you consider a band like Sonic Youth, the *cough* grandparents of grunge - who were very definately spawned from punk... iassume you are perhaps veering towards the pearl jam end of grunge?

....anyway:

the scissor sisters are dreadful.

oh, and country haters - shame on you - it's not all garth brooks and dolly parton...

what about:

willie nelson (or nelly wilson, as the missus hilariously once called him)

the carter family

glen campbell

holy modal rounders

the byrds

...and so on.

don't get trapped by clumsy genre building!

oh, and country haters - shame on you - it's not all garth brooks and dolly parton...

what about:

willie nelson (or nelly wilson, as the missus hilariously once called him)

the carter family

glen campbell

holy modal rounders

the byrds

...and so on.

don't get trapped by clumsy genre building!

Nope, still hate all of them. :D

I'd have difficulty swinging one - what with my zimmer frame and my artificial hip. Thank **** my incontinence pants work well so I don't have to worry about bladder control while I'm busy crying to myself in a corner. :rolleyes:

I'd have difficulty swinging one - what with my zimmer frame and my artificial hip. Thank **** my incontinence pants work well so I don't have to worry about bladder control while I'm busy crying to myself in a corner. :rolleyes:

Awww, I still :wub: you. :D

There is 1 song on radio 1 (not my choice,what other choices are there come to think of it)right now which makes me feel physically sick,i hate it,if i ever got my hands on the twat who wrote it i'd throttle him.

Just found out the song,its Ne-Yo-Closer.What a pile of shit.

There is 1 song on radio 1 (not my choice,what other choices are there come to think of it)right now which makes me feel physically sick,i hate it,if i ever got my hands on the twat who wrote it i would throttle him.

Just found out the song,its Ne-Yo-Closer.What a pile of shit.

Can't say I've heard of it. It isn't overplayed. Much. :whistle:

About a month ago I thought Eric Prydz - Pjanoo was fantastic, good old radio one are now doing a fantastic job of overplaying it to the extreme.

Abserloutely. I first heard that on Pete Tong but then after a while it now gets played every two mins :angry:

Archived