Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Miquel The Work Geordie

Music you HATE/LOATHE/DETESTE/DEPLORE.

When was the last 'movement'? As a kid I enjoyed living through a Rockers & Mods revival, Punk, Ska, New Romanticism, New Wave, Goth and then Indie. They were all original, a development or an original twist of pop culture - along with a strong rock and reggae sector and inventive pop.

Where's the ****ing originality these days?

I remember posting something similar last year. I can't think of any records about today that couldn't have been recorded in 1990.

PS. can somebody please bump off McFly?

I remember posting something similar last year. I can't think of any records about today that couldn't have been recorded in 1990.

PS. can somebody please bump off McFly?

Gladly. Will you give me an alibi? :D

To be honest, the classics from back in the days don't really have developed any further, either.

When I look at what the Rolling Stones play, where U2 has ended up or what Oasis and Madonna are doing to my ears, then that's just horrible.

They're stuck in No-Man's Land and are as original as oil companies and the fuel prices - they charge you more for less.

Well-established they may be, but they're all following the same principle. Simple as.

And yes, there are still original bands out there. It just takes an enormous amount of time looking them up.

The Stones have done more than contribute a bit to rock history, I can forgive them for their musical dotage. Glossing over that I think the rest are shockingly crap - that isn't the staying power I am on about: Screamadelica has proven staying power, Never Mind The Bollocks, The White Album, singles and albums that stand the test of time...no one will be playing Ice T, Ice Cube or Vanilla Ice in the future. No one plays Emin****ingem now! Girls Aloud? The Ting Tings? Artic Monkeys? All transient aural pap.

Theres not a lot of originality in a revival

Yes there is if you take it and change it - if you add something rather than aimlessly copying. Saxa single-handedly reinvented several hidden Jamaican classics and in doing so contributed with the five other main bands to sow a seed of Ska in society for the first proper time. Music by Madness and The Specials continues to be heard to this day in the media and through those who are simply doing the dull cover versions. Punk guitar was revived at the start of the 90's in the form of Grunge - something totally different to what went before but still tipping its cap in deference at the origin of the sound. I could go on. And on. And on.

New music. Too much beat and I can't understand the words any more.

Not like when I was young and we had PROPER music. Singers could hold a note and play a good tune back in my day!

Young whippersnappers, you'll not remember them tomorrow!

Bring back Lonnie Donegan!

TURN IT DOWN!

Sorry, just thought I'd summarize Daggers and Purple Ron for the lazy :P

Absolutely - why doesn't anyone play skiffle anymore? :angry:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - To me once you have heard one song you have heard them all.

I used to be a huge fan, less so these days. But they have made some really top songs in their time, I think they're just less arsed these days.

I personally don't take music very seriously so I tend to jump from genre to genre enjoying things briefly just ignoring whatever irritates me. I find some modern chart stuff quite enjoyable.

The Stones have done more than contribute a bit to rock history, I can forgive them for their musical dotage. Glossing over that I think the rest are shockingly crap - that isn't the staying power I am on about: Screamadelica has proven staying power, Never Mind The Bollocks, The White Album, singles and albums that stand the test of time...no one will be playing Ice T, Ice Cube or Vanilla Ice in the future. No one plays Emin****ingem now! Girls Aloud? The Ting Tings? Artic Monkeys? All transient aural pap.

Yes there is if you take it and change it - if you add something rather than aimlessly copying. Saxa single-handedly reinvented several hidden Jamaican classics and in doing so contributed with the five other main bands to sow a seed of Ska in society for the first proper time. Music by Madness and The Specials continues to be heard to this day in the media and through those who are simply doing the dull cover versions. Punk guitar was revived at the start of the 90's in the form of Grunge - something totally different to what went before but still tipping its cap in deference at the origin of the sound. I could go on. And on. And on.

Absolutely - why doesn't anyone play skiffle anymore? :angry:

You've missed out rave culture which had a massive effect on society as well as giving birth to a plethora of genres and sub-genres many of which are still around, stronger than ever, today. The scene was born out of a desire to party and have fun regardless of what politicians or anybody else thought. I get the feeling that you let nostalgia distort your viewpoint in that the fact you were INVOLVED in the movements and scenes from years ago makes them infinitely better than movements and scenes that you are not involved in now.

I'm not defending the crap that gets in the charts or whatever crap NME are wanking over (I haven't got the foggiest who that would be in any case). I'm just defending the innovative, talented, boundary pushing, original music that gets produced today. I'm not directing this all at you I just find it frustrating when people write off modern music with the same sweeping stereotypes and generalisations.

And also you're hip hop/rap examples are plain daft aren't they. I could name you a few albums from that genre and other modern genres that will stand the test of time just as effectively as the likes of Screamadelica...

You're just regurgitating "Greatest Album Ever" polls.

What about Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back? De La Soul's Three Feet High And Rising? A Tribe Called Quest's Midnight Marauders? Eric B and Rakim's Paid In Full? Even Illmatic, The Blueprint and The Black Album. I could go on and on.

Same era as Screamadelica too, which was hardly revolutionary. Does Definitely Maybe have staying power? (What's The Story?) Morning Glory?

The mainstream music press are predominately white blokes in their 30s and 40s who spend their whole time whinging about how music was better in the 1970s but you still had the inordinate amount of crap you get now, just that it doesn't feature on VH1 or in Mojo magazine. Nowadays you still have ground-breaking music (albeit less, which is just the nature of time) but the criticism is levelled at chart pop and indie acts and comparisons drawn between them and bands like Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. When really if you want to draw parallels with innovative modern artists you need to stop looking at your average guitar band from the north of England churning out the same thing that's been peddled for the last 25 years and start looking at electronic music (which doesn't all sound like bloody Kraftwerk) and hip hop (which in its finest form is more than just talking over a sample).

You've missed out rave culture which had a massive effect on society as well as giving birth to a plethora of genres and sub-genres many of which are still around, stronger than ever, today. The scene was born out of a desire to party and have fun regardless of what politicians or anybody else thought. I get the feeling that you let nostalgia distort your viewpoint in that the fact you were INVOLVED in the movements and scenes from years ago makes them infinitely better than movements and scenes that you are not involved in now.

I'm not defending the crap that gets in the charts or whatever crap NME are wanking over (I haven't got the foggiest who that would be in any case). I'm just defending the innovative, talented, boundary pushing, original music that gets produced today. I'm not directing this all at you I just find it frustrating when people write off modern music with the same sweeping stereotypes and generalisations.

And also you're hip hop/rap examples are plain daft aren't they. I could name you a few albums from that genre and other modern genres that will stand the test of time just as effectively as the likes of Screamadelica...

The whole Rave thing is what got me interested in music, but my interest in dance music only lasted a couple of years 1987-89 before like everything else that becomes popular it got taken over by the bland and boring. Have no idea about dance music these days but whatever its like it won't be as good or exciting as the great tunes from Detroit & Chicago from back in the day.

The whole Rave thing is what got me interested in music, but my interest in dance music only lasted a couple of years 1987-89 before like everything else that becomes popular it got taken over by the bland and boring. Have no idea about dance music these days but whatever its like it won't be as good or exciting as the great tunes from Detroit & Chicago from back in the day.

How can you possibly say that when you don't have any idea what music currently constitutes "dance"?

And anyway trying telling that to the 1000's of people dancing at 7am in the sun when Roni Size absolutely tore Exit Festival up a few weeks ago. I know I keep banging on about bloody Serbia but I'll tell you now it was all about music for people who loved music. No one was banging on about how shit modern music was there. They were just having a f**king good time.

THAT is where it's at now. Not in a f**king Coldplay concert.

How can you possibly say that when you don't have any idea what music currently constitutes "dance"?

And anyway trying telling that to the 1000's of people dancing at 7am in the sun when Roni Size absolutely tore Exit Festival up a few weeks ago. I know I keep banging on about bloody Serbia but I'll tell you now it was all about music for people who loved music. No one was banging on about how shit modern music was there. They were just having a f**king good time.

Had the same thing with MSTRKRFT a couple of weeks ago. Thing is, my grandad used to moan about my mum's music when she listened to Led Zeppelin cos it was just noise compared to the pre-war stuff he liked. This is just the same.

Which Roots Manuva cd is in your avatar mate ?

And is it worth a listen ?

Which Roots Manuva cd is in your avatar mate ?

And is it worth a listen ?

It's his dub album that he produced called "Dub Come Save Me" and yes it is well worth a listen. Been out for ages but I've been rediscovering it lately, what with summer and all that... :D

It's his dub album that he produced called "Dub Come Save Me" and yes it is well worth a listen. Been out for ages but I've been rediscovering it lately, what with summer and all that... :D

I'll have to try and find it for download then.

His new single is poor, Buff Nuff or whatever, i was quite dissapointed to be honest.

You'd have to pay me to go and watch those bands.

WOAH WOAH WOAH!! Sayy whaaaaaaaaat? That MUST be a joke!

Someone would have had to pay you to see Led Zeppelin in 1970? Possibly the greatest band of all time at their best???

:huh:

Punk guitar was revived at the start of the 90's in the form of Grunge

Most of the big grunge bands of the 90's were more influenced by the classic rock they grew up on. While you could hear the influence of US punk from the Stooges through to 80's hardcore on some bands this existed more on the fringes (less popular bands) or foundations (Mother Love Bone/Green River/early Nirvana) of the genre.

For sheer number of good bands the 90's takes some beating. Just taking the time digging beneath the surface of say, US indie, is endlessly rewarding.

You've missed out rave culture

I missed out lots because it was a snapshot post and not an essay. :thumbup:

You're just regurgitating "Greatest Album Ever" polls.

And you're getting pissy because someone doesn't like your favourite music - no matter the racist, black nationalist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic act that spawned it. :whistle:;)

WOAH WOAH WOAH!! Sayy whaaaaaaaaat? That MUST be a joke!

Someone would have had to pay you to see Led Zeppelin in 1970? Possibly the greatest band of all time at their best???

:huh:

Not a fan, I think it was all too heavy for me, I'd rather listen to muddy waters or robert johnson. Out of the 3 bands you mentioned Pink Floyd would possibly be the only one I'd see, but only during the 'Dark side of the moon' period. As for the Eagles, watered down country music, no thanks, give me Hank Williams anyday.

And you're getting pissy because someone doesn't like your favourite music - no matter the racist, black nationalist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic act that spawned it. :whistle:;)

:mellow: What's my favourite music? I'm not even sure I know myself.

If a nebulous concept like 'New-Wave' counts as a musical movement then recent Post-Punk revivalism is every bit as fit to mention if not more so. The only difference is that much more music is produced nowadays, meaning only the drivel broad enough to hit 50% of the bell-curve is on the radio much. Music's a much more splintered whole now but thats no reason to launch into a full-on grandad rant reminiscent of attitudes towards punk at its height.

Errr. Ok.

lol

If a nebulous concept like 'New-Wave' counts as a musical movement then recent Post-Punk revivalism is every bit as fit to mention if not more so. The only difference is that much more music is produced nowadays, meaning only the drivel broad enough to hit 50% of the bell-curve is on the radio much. Music's a much more splintered whole now but thats no reason to launch into a full-on grandad rant reminiscent of attitudes towards punk at its height.

:thumbup:

How is it any more nebulous than any other construct aimed at pigeon-holing an artist's product? To use the term in an attempt to denigrate its mention simply belies a misinterpretation of the original sense.

For someone who will quite happily wave a banner when a post is being racist or homophobic you seem to have no problem in being ageist in order to insult and disregard a point of view. Who the fuck are you to tell me what I can and can't post?

Look at the title of the thread, child. You see what it says there? Being an internet forum I feel quite at liberty to have a post on any topic of my choosing especially if the title asks for my chosen hates. So, rather than being immature and insulting, how about coming up with a few ideas of your own?

Ska was selling very well in the 60's by both the Jamacan's and the skinheads. The revival occured some 18 years later, Not a lot different to what is happening with the indie scene at the momment. Having read the book Ska'd for life by Horace Panter i know that he said that the specials were heavily Criticised by the music press for taking away the music from the black community :huh: There have allways been shit bands in every decade of music, It just seems there are a lot more now.

Ska was selling very well in the 60's by both the Jamacan's and the skinheads. The revival occured some 18 years later, Not a lot different to what is happening with the indie scene at the momment.

It went from niche to mainstream in the UK. I alluded to the fact that it was already a style of its own in Jamaica - my point was that the 2-tone movement took Jamaican Ska and added a dimension in a way that the modern indie scene hasn't done to what went before. It wasn't a straight copy of Jamaican Ska as it built on the punk/reggae fusion of the 70's that preceeded it, blended with the Mod scene and rocksteady. In doing so it created a brand new sub-culture and that is something that certainly hasn't been achieved by modern indie bands.

Wow anyone would've thought that "indie" was the only type of music produced nowadays...

You answer a specific point and people go "Oh but there's other genres you know" or you try to include more and get accused of generalising or writing an essay-like rant.

Apologies for having any opinions on the matter - I should have realised that being as old as a Grandad I should confine myself to posting:

• It's too loud
  • I can't make out the words and
  • It was all better in my day, the songs had tunes you could sing along to. Oh Ethel Merman, now there was a classy singer....

Archived