Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Miquel The Work Geordie

Music you HATE/LOATHE/DETESTE/DEPLORE.

Your wrong there.

These two are quite highly regarded for mainstream artists.

And at one point 50 Cent was looked upon as being the next best thing since Tupac, that just went to pot.

50 Cent has always been bad, media hype doesn't actually mean anything. I think the problem is people lump all rap together as one genre when it's not. Mainstream rap is something I don't find a true representation of the hip-hop world. Lupe Fiasco is not as tallented as murs, Eminem isn't even on the same level as Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, The Grouch. Timberland isn't a better producer than RJD2 or Blueprint.. The Hype and Praise are pushed by the same people who try to make money off them.

Pretty much all of my genuine 'hates' have been mentioned already, so I'll just quote in agreement cos I'm feeling too lazy to think up better comments. However, much as there's lots I don't like - I have tried to stick to what I truly can't stand.

THE fooking TING TINGS!!!! - They sound wank, and the lyrics are some of the worst i've ever heard - they mean nothing!. Yet, everyone bums them! :/

:clap: So agree. I could happily strangle that girl. Oh, and on a similar note, I can't stick Alphabeat and Kate Nash either.

Scouting For Girls type bands.

Sample chorus: "She's so lovely, she's so lovely, she's so lovely... [pause]... she's so lovely" taken from the song She's So Lovely.

This modern American chart RnB stuff - Soulja Boy etc.

And most of all country music which is probably the only genre I can't stand at all. Anything else has a sliding scale from brilliant to garbage and sub-genres within each one that maybe show the whole things in their worst light.

Completely with you on the country music genre - all of it, in fact. Some 'tracks' are slightly more tolerable than others - but only because the rest are so abysmal.

Rap - Yo niga muthafukka drive-by rap, where every "song" claims the idiot at the mike is busting the biggest rhymes. Pathetic gang-mentality and glorification of violence while displaying racism, sexist and misogynistic attitudes. And, not forgetting, that rhyming a couple of words and talking is a talent I ascribe to almost all children 4+yrs old. Even the bland rap of mainstream acts is pretty lame.

:yesyes:

Plus a couple of my own:

As previously mentioned with the likes of the Ting Tings and Alphabeat - most modern 'pop' that is specifically produced to appeal to a pre-pubescent age group. :sick:

Female opera singers - sopranos, in particular. Some opera singers with a lower register (often black) with a have amazing, powerful voices with a smooth quality - but, no, I'm talking about the shrill, squeaky sopranos that positively warble whilst managing to seem unbearably smug at the same time. One of the few types of music that actually does hurt my ears. >_<

I said there were exceptions - but in comparison to national annual musical output the number of acts with a bit of quality constitute the smallest percentage there has ever been.

On top of that - new acts with the staying power to be performing in 10-30 years time are negligible. The only genres I've listened to recently where I can see myself still listening to the same album for a long period of time have come from the dub or trip-hop sector...and even then, they're hardly breaking any barriers.

There are no ground-shaking developments in music - there hasn't been for almost two decades. Music has ceased to have a validity as it used to have and has moved from being a way of life to just being a backdrop to life: It's not 'wrong' but it is a bit sad for anyone who never experienced music when it was vital.

To be honest, the classics from back in the days don't really have developed any further, either.

When I look at what the Rolling Stones play, where U2 has ended up or what Oasis and Madonna are doing to my ears, then that's just horrible.

They're stuck in No-Man's Land and are as original as oil companies and the fuel prices - they charge you more for less.

Well-established they may be, but they're all following the same principle. Simple as.

And yes, there are still original bands out there. It just takes an enormous amount of time looking them up.

Usher/50 Cent- I cannot stand these two "singers" at all. I can't think of any song they've done that I've liked. Snoop Dogg is poor as well, but "What's my name" was quite good.

Kate Nash- Need I say more?

Ting Tings- Shut up and piss off

Most Girlbands/Boybands

To be honest, I find most modern (indie) stuff innoffensive. I go out, I buy albums for the one or two tracks I have heard and like, listen to the cd in the car for a fortnight, replace with new cd, and forget all about the replaced article. Within a month, I have forgotten what is on most of these discs. I can see why the genre is unpopular on these here forums.

There are, however, some bands that need shipping to the next atoll due to have a nuclear test. The Feeling are top of the list, followed closely by Scouting for Girls, The Ting Tings, Kate Nash, Lily Allen and Take That. They will be joined by other, in due course.

This is what really pisses me off, festival prices go up as the bands get worse! My dad was telling me the other day about a festival he went to in the early 70s, where he saw Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Eagles and loads more. It cost virtually nothing! Now here we are forking out nearly £200 to go to festivals with a line up of bands not fit to eat Robert Plant's sh*t.

You'd have to pay me to go and watch those bands.

Modern music is rubbish.

When was the last 'movement'? As a kid I enjoyed living through a Rockers & Mods revival, Punk, Ska, New Romanticism, New Wave, Goth and then Indie. They were all original, a development or an original twist of pop culture - along with a strong rock and reggae sector and inventive pop. Gigs were cheap, band T-shirts were cheaper and you could take your own bottles into festivals.

Where's the ****ing originality these days?

Theres not a lot of originality in a revival

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - To me once you have heard one song you have heard them all.

Chilis used to be fantastic, but lately they've become very bland. Albums like Mother's Milk are right up there in my top albums ever

New music. Too much beat and I can't understand the words any more.

Not like when I was young and we had PROPER music. Singers could hold a note and play a good tune back in my day!

Young whippersnappers, you'll not remember them tomorrow!

Bring back Lonnie Donegan!

TURN IT DOWN!

Sorry, just thought I'd summarize Daggers and Purple Ron for the lazy :P

Seriously, I don't understand people who dismiss whole genres.

Well actually, I do, cos I used to be like that when I was a kid, ie, when I was less experienced. Give all genres a chance and I guarantee that you will find something that you like!

Am hating Pigeon Detectives, Wombats, Scouting for Girls and all the other "pity me" indie bands. All their songs are drippy and pathetic. They need a good kicking!

Not in Serbia. Seriously though Exit Festival takes the piss out of pretty much any British festival. Perfect weather, original acts, beautiful setting and £1 a pint. Not all festivals happen in Leeds and Reading y'know...

Have you ever heard of Guca the trumpet festival?

THE best festival on this planet.

Takes place in Serbia and parades through the streets, loads of beer and food (most of which I think is free), at night you might end up sleeping in somebody's house, I've heard a story from somebody who went that they got into somebody's house, kicked him out of the bed and they slept in it!

Chilis used to be fantastic, but lately they've become very bland. Albums like Mother's Milk are right up there in my top albums ever

I really like some of their recent stuff, something about their music makes me think of summer, Scar tissue, Road Trippin I'm a sucka for them.

But stadium arcadia (or whatever it was called) was pants.

Archived