Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrenchel

Whisky

I like the Talisker and Lagavulin but living where I do I wonder why so few shout out's for Highland Park?

The 18 year old is pricey but a prize winner http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/highland-park-18-year-old-whisky/

The 12 year old is great as well and much more affordable . http://www.highlandpark.co.uk/shop/catalog.asp?class=core-expressions

There is a 50 year old but as there are only 275 bottles at £10,000 grand each I guess most of us wont be sampling it.

• 4 months later...

Recently finishing off a bottle of Dalmore 12 year old, one of the smoothest drinks i've ever tasted!

Last week i won a bottle of JW Gold Label, the centenary edition, amazing stuff, and very hard to find anywhere so the price over the next few years is going to increase massively!!!

If anyone is flying out through a world duty free store, if you can buy one, get a bottle of Glen Devron 20 year old, £52.99 for a litre of a 20 year old whisky unreal, or you can get a 30year old for £115 !!!

• 1 year later...

Bought a bottle of anCnoc from Tesco. Tried it a few years ago in Drumnadrochit and it made an impression, but I currently have a stinking cold which will probably temper the flavour. Also bought some Maple Jim Beam... not bad, if you like a little sweetness to your drink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody do much travelling? 

World Duty Free have got a new whisky called Aultmore, 12 year and a 21 year old, both beautiful drops.

This is the first time the Aultmore has ever been released as a single malt has been used in blends before, and the distillery has been awarded top class status, if anyone does fly through grab yourself a bottle or sample!!!

I had some whiskey in Selfridges over Christmas, in the food hall at the bottom.

No idea what it was but the crappiest was £39.99.

There was 8 you could try. Bowled up to the woman with a mate and she asked which one, my mate joked ''all of them pleased'' and after 10 mins we had done the lot. Not the pathetic dose they give you in a medicine cup either, it was 20ml of each. I thought she would refuse but she didn;t give a shit and it kept coming. 

We had 2 each of the £199.99 to make sure and after some chocolate wine at the next counter washed down with a samosa I was fully Merry. A good warm up for the German market.

Anybody do much travelling?

World Duty Free have got a new whisky called Aultmore, 12 year and a 21 year old, both beautiful drops.

This is the first time the Aultmore has ever been released as a single malt has been used in blends before, and the distillery has been awarded top class status, if anyone does fly through grab yourself a bottle or sample!!!

Duty free shops in the UK are a rip off, never buy anything in them, the only way they get business is people are bored and stuck there for hours. Dixons in Heathrow Terminal 2 tell outright lies to try to get you buying addons.

Duty free shops in the UK are a rip off, never buy anything in them, the only way they get business is people are bored and stuck there for hours. Dixons in Heathrow Terminal 2 tell outright lies to try to get you buying addons.

Heard your story about that before, in Duty Free if you look at the whiskies alot off them are travel exclusive, standard bottles are not the greatest, its the premium where the saving is compared to the uk.

Heard your story about that before, in Duty Free if you look at the whiskies alot off them are travel exclusive, standard bottles are not the greatest, its the premium where the saving is compared to the uk.

When I started flying regularly for work (18 years ago) I used to buy bottles of spirits in duty free quite a lot, over the years the benefits have gone unless, as you say, you are buying premium or limited edition stuff. Also the block on taking liquids through security stopped me buying on the outward leg of returns, I know you can collect on return but that is a pain if you just want to get somewhere else.

Just popped in to the thread and found myself on a post from September saying Hendricks is the only Gin worth Drinking. Hell no!

Berry Bros & Rudd No3 is a fine Gin, and is Tanqueray No10. All with Fever Tree tonic of course.

It's all about Old Tom Gin for me at the moment

Interesting. What are you drinking? Haymans? I have seen it but not tried it yet.

Yes, I had a bottle of Hayman's for Christmas, it's sweeter than most gins (I find it a bit similar to the Gin Penderyn make) but makes a lovely GnT

Just popped in to the thread and found myself on a post from September saying Hendricks is the only Gin worth Drinking.  Hell no!

Berry Bros & Rudd No3 is a fine Gin, and is Tanqueray No10. All with Fever Tree tonic of course.

I agree with the first sentence. No gin is worth drinking... foul stuff. I can only assume that the reason that it is the base of so many cocktails is because you need something to mask the flavour.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Has anyone ever bought one of those whisky aging barrels? Are they any good?

The general idea is to buy cheap whisky, stick it in the barrel and let it mature for a few months/years.

I was thinking about getting some and experimenting