Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Salieri

F365's Top Ten Wasted Talents

I allways thought Joey Beauchmp was going to be something special back in the 90's.

Seems he got homesick though

Playing career

Oxford United

Beauchamp was born in Oxford and began his career with Oxford United as a youth team player, living with his mum on the New Marston estate on Headington Hill, near the club's former home at the Manor Ground. His home was also less than half a mile from Oxford City FC's current Court Place Farm home.

Beauchamp would go on to make 124 appearances for the club in his first spell in the yellow shirt, during whch time he also made five appearances on loan at Swansea City.

[edit] West Ham United

He was then sold to Premier League side West Ham United for a then club record (sales) fee of £1.2 million. However, Beauchamp didn't last long - having not played a single competitive game for the Hammers, Beauchamp decided he couldn't stand the traffic travelling from Oxford each day,[1] and a mere 58 days later he was signed by Swindon for a club-record combined fee of £800,000, which included defender Adrian Whitbread going in the opposite direction. Whitbread was valued at £750,000 in the deal.[2]

[edit] Swindon Town

Beauchamp made his debut for Town in the second league match of the season, coming on as a substitute in a 3-2 defeat at Tranmere on 20 August. He made more than fifty appearances in his first season. For his first goal, he scored the winner against Wolves in October, and ran fifty yards to jump into the arms of John Gorman. At the end of the year, Swindon were relegated for the second successive season.

By now, Steve McMahon had taken over as Town boss, and McMahon's and Beauchamp's footballing philosophies were apparently very different. As a result, Beauchamp hardly played the following season - making just one more start and three substitute appearances - one of which came against his former club, Oxford.

[edit] Back to Oxford

Before the end of the season, he was back in a yellow shirt for the return game - with McMahon deciding to sell him back to Oxford in November 1995, in a deal described as being "worth £300,000"[3] to the club - though the Town only received £75,000 (the rest was the saving of his wages for the remainder of his contract). Beauchamp scored against Swindon in Oxford's 3-0 victory the following March.

He would make a further 238 appearances in the yellow and blue, making him one of the club's longest-serving players. Three years after leaving the County Ground, an upturn in form saw a number of clubs again interested in Beauchamp's services, and Oxford agreed £800,000 deals with both Nottingham Forest and Southampton in November 1998[citation needed]. Unfortunately for Swindon, who had a 20% sell-on clause in the terms of his sale[citation needed], Beauchamp failed to agree personal terms and remained at the Manor Ground, with Swindon missing out on a £145,000 bonus.

The chap's right about Stan though. An astonishing talent but a massive tool that couldn't get on with anyone.

I've seen some good forwards play for Forest over many many years but Stan was easily the most talented.

Bollocks. He's no Earnie mate.

For me Joachim should be in there. Some of the goals he scored in his first couple of seasons were immense. At the time was considered to be Englands brightest young talent which is more remarkable because Fowler, Scholes, Beckcham, Sol Campbell, Butt etc. were all the same age as him.

Started to fade during the first season we were in the Prem and although he went to Villa and scored here and there never got close to the careers that the players above did.

Also Lee Sharpe, reached his peak at about 19 with that hat-trick against Arsenal.

Jon Harley, John Oster, Kieran Richardson, Chris Kirkland, Dave Nugent, Seth Johnson, Lee Sharpe, Robbie Keane, Alan Shearer .... all good, not exactly got great medal hauls though.

Few obvious names there plus a few not so obvious. I'd never heard of Robin Friday but he sounded like a right animal!

You should read 'The Greatest Player You Never Saw', one of the funniest books about football I have ever read. Ridiculous talent but an abosulute mentalist. According to news reports and the eye witness account of several players and officials he scored one goal where he jumped to receive the ball with his chest, back to goal, then spun around and volleyed it into the back of the net before his feet touched the ground.

Other stories include him falling off of some scaffolding (he was a part-time brickie as well) and landing on a spike which went straight up his arse and going to clubs wearing only a mack which was usually in a heap in the middle of the dancefloor shortly after arrival. Nutter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footballer-You-Never-Saw/dp/1840181087

I would like to add myself to the list. After a promising start with Birstall United under 10's I got sidetracked by laziness and a lack of footballing skill. I could have been great.

reminded me of Mark De Vries that did :giggle:

Robbie Keane, Alan Shearer .... all good, not exactly got great medal hauls though.

You really think that both of these wasted their talents?

Top scorers of all time in the Prem

Shearer would've been a far better player had he gone to Man United, though, thus his potenital would've been realised at the highest level.

Think that's the type of point he was trying to make on that score, regardless of his scoring record.

Archived