Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This is a good read:

Greatest Fights: Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and 'The Showdown' of 1981

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/52534002

I‘m just about old enough to remember this and that era with Hearns, Leonard, Hagler, Duran was magical.

Duran has to be one of the toughest boxers of all time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, tetly said:

Have any of you seen the mike Tyson clips. He looks insane 53 years old and looks like he could do still fight. What do you think of him against a current top 10 heavyweight? 

Pads dont hit back.;)

On 25/05/2020 at 23:35, tetly said:

But could Charles Martin beat him?

Yes quite easily I'd suspect. Lets remember he lost to Danny Williams a long time before he was a borderline pensioner.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Yes quite easily I'd suspect. Lets remember he lost to Danny Williams a long time before he was a borderline pensioner.

So true I forgot about that beating he got. I think he was mentally shot back then. He should just do the boxing shows for charity. 

Bit off topic but still boxing,I've read some autobiographies since last year when I had my operation and would interest any boxing fan-

Mike Tyson's autobiography is brilliant and gives a great insight to the inigma who was the baddest man on the planet. He liked women let's say!!!

Four kings is about Hearns,Hagler,Ray Leonard and Duran. Great great book following these 4 amazing middleweights.

Chris Eubank is a decent read but not as enthralling as Tyson's.

Thrills in Manilla gives a good account of Ali and Smoking Jo. Ali wasn't all as great a person as he was made out by the media according to this book.

Currently reading Dark Trade and already this is s good read following some of the characters of boxing

14 hours ago, Raj said:

Bit off topic but still boxing,I've read some autobiographies since last year when I had my operation and would interest any boxing fan-

Mike Tyson's autobiography is brilliant and gives a great insight to the inigma who was the baddest man on the planet. He liked women let's say!!!

Four kings is about Hearns,Hagler,Ray Leonard and Duran. Great great book following these 4 amazing middleweights.

Chris Eubank is a decent read but not as enthralling as Tyson's.

Thrills in Manilla gives a good account of Ali and Smoking Jo. Ali wasn't all as great a person as he was made out by the media according to this book.

Currently reading Dark Trade and already this is s good read following some of the characters of boxing

Ali was terrible in the build up to both their fights. Think some of the angels he used around Frazier being a white mans fighter lead to his family getting harassed and his kids getting shit in school.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

It didn't help that the black Muslims and his manager were using him as a gimmick. Hence his prolonged carter and damage. Still a GOAT but to say he was on par with Martin Luther king as soon would say is proposterous.

10 hours ago, Raj said:

It didn't help that the black Muslims and his manager were using him as a gimmick. Hence his prolonged carter and damage. Still a GOAT but to say he was on par with Martin Luther king as soon would say is proposterous.

Could talk to all day about him mate. Clearly suffered at a young age, went on to be a great man. He had an anti white establishment thing going on for a good chunk of his life and it’s not something I’d call him up on because it was needed at the time but the way he used it against Joe Frasier was very wrong. He also tried to get several white fighters to make their fights a racial issue and all refused, sure it was Cooper or Wepner but he tired to convince one of them to call him a n*****r during a press conference purely to build hype for the fight.

His personality was infectious but he was far from the saint many make him out to be. He did plenty of good things in his life but has his fair share of unethical actions not that many people know about.

• Like 3

On 09/05/2020 at 11:06, Izzy said:

This is a good read:

Greatest Fights: Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns and 'The Showdown' of 1981

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/52534002

I‘m just about old enough to remember this and that era with Hearns, Leonard, Hagler, Duran was magical.

One of the books I've mentioned above "Four kings" is all about these guys.

Duran and his "No mas" against Sugar Ray was epic.

In my eyes Sugar Ray was poetry in motion....what a boxer/ fighter AND slugger when he needed to be. Has to be one of THE greatest ever.

• Like 1

I’ve watched a few of them recently, there’s an anthology of fights I’ve found in which your suppose to watch one fight a day for a year (although I’m a bit ahead now due to having hardly anything to do) and obviously the four of them crop up a fair bit, think I’ve seen Leonard vs Hearns, Hagler vs Hearns, No mas, and Hagler vs Leonard at least already and not even half way through yet. Great fights.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...