Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Legalise cannabis?

Legalise?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be legal?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Interesting... I wish you could expand a bit more on why you think this.  What experiences are you basing this prediction on?  Are there any data sets that can confirm your hunch?

I mean don't get me wrong, I think we're all too aware that you can't turn a corner in the UK without witnessing spotty teenagers making deals for black market six-packs of Chateauneuf du Pape, I just want to know why you're so sure the same thing will happen with cannabis.

I wish it was as easy to buy weed as the media would have us believe. I finished my home grown about 3 months ago and now cannot buy any... i dont know any young folk and as a grey heaired old man... i just look like a cop lol

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I wish it was as easy to buy weed as the media would have us believe. I finished my home grown about 3 months ago and now cannot buy any... i dont know any young folk and as a grey heaired old man... i just look like a cop lol

Oh yeah.  It's easy for teenagers because you just go to the school stoners and ask them to hook you up with their guy, but the older you get the harder it is to find an in.  And once you do find one you still have to deal with the odd dry spell and the often inconvenient business hours and meeting locations... if you can get them to respond to your messages that day that is.

But yeah people will definitely still prefer to use a dealer over an actual shop. lol

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Interesting... I wish you could expand a bit more on why you think this.  What experiences are you basing this prediction on?  Are there any data sets that can confirm your hunch?

I mean don't get me wrong, I think we're all too aware that you can't turn a corner in the UK without witnessing spotty teenagers making deals for black market six-packs of Chateauneuf du Pape, I just want to know why you're so sure the same thing will happen with cannabis.

Have you ever purchased?

Fuel for your vehicle

Tobacco products

Spirits

Paid V.A.T

These are a few of the experiences I am basing my prediction on.

14 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I'm still not sure what your point is.  I've never in my life seen a petrol dealer, the very idea sounds absurd to me. And while I concede there is somewhat of a black market for tobacco and spirits, they are by no means an epidemic undercutting the legitimate businesses.  In fact I'm not sure I've come across either in person unless you count friends bringing some fags back from trips abroad.  So yeah, still not sure why you think legalisation won't have an effect on how likely people are to go to the black market when all real life evidence suggests that the black market would take a significant hit.

How involved are you in the drugs world?  You don't sound like someone who has spent much time dealing with it.

I bow down to your superior knowledge.

You are obviously a very clever man ;)

4 minutes ago, boots60 said:

I bow down to your superior knowledge.

You are obviously a very clever man ;)

I've made complete points if that's what you mean.  Still waiting for you to explain where you're coming from.  So far all you've given us is a list of things which people don't generally buy from dealers for cheaper.

• Like 1

No chance I'm going through the ballache of buying something which isn't regulated from a sketchy dealer if I can go into a shop and buy a controlled, regulated version legally and get to pick what type of strain I get.

I reckon @boots60 is either a marijuana king pin or has never even tried buying weed.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Read this interesting article about the issues with legalisation in Canada. Still, it is early days and there were always going to be problems...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/05/stoners-cheered-when-canada-legalised-cannabis-how-did-it-all-go-wrong

Interesting video for anyone who is willing to listen.

• 2 weeks later...

My attitude to the legalisation of weed is a weird one. I started smoking it in university and would have loved nothing more than for it to be legal. Being made to feel like a criminal every time I bought it was extremely unfair I felt. However, during my time smoking cannabis I went from a casual (joint on weekends) user to one who was smoking it from the moment I got up to the moment I went to sleep. A few months after finishing uni I decided to stop smoking and honestly, looking back on how I was and how I was acting I now support the prohibition of cannabis as I have seen the effects it can have on people and their lives.

This being said I have been and still would be willing to go to Amsterdam and buy some of my favourite strain (Jack Herer) and smoke a joint in a park as a one of every few years. I am genuinely conflicted by this topic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

My attitude to the legalisation of weed is a weird one. I started smoking it in university and would have loved nothing more than for it to be legal. Being made to feel like a criminal every time I bought it was extremely unfair I felt. However, during my time smoking cannabis I went from a casual (joint on weekends) user to one who was smoking it from the moment I got up to the moment I went to sleep. A few months after finishing uni I decided to stop smoking and honestly, looking back on how I was and how I was acting I now support the prohibition of cannabis as I have seen the effects it can have on people and their lives.

This being said I have been and still would be willing to go to Amsterdam and buy some of my favourite strain (Jack Herer) and smoke a joint in a park as a one of every few years. I am genuinely conflicted by this topic. 

Do you think you should be in prison now?

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

What do you mean by that? 

Just didn’t realise it at the time but personally it was really bad for my mental health. I have also seen friends get dependent on it and get in a bad way. I’m just slightly uncomfortable with the thought of more people ending up like I did. 

I certainly don’t think it should be a criminal offence though.

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The best way to prevent misuse isn't prohibition: Remove the stigma; provide regulated, age restricted products; improve support networks for problem users; educate the general public; ban public use.  These are the kind of steps we should be talking about. 

This. Whilst the stigma exists it will always be regarded as, and therefore will be, a gateway drug.

• Like 1

There's literally no reason for weed not to be legal, because alcohol is legal. I would say alcohol is more damaging than weed in every way possible, and yet it is a cornerstone of our society. "Weed can be bad for you if you build a dependance on it" obviously it is bad if you build a dependance on it! Just like nicotine and alcohol and every other kind of drug that you can build a dependance on. 

• Like 2