Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Football manager 2012 -IPad

I think they should drastically improve the 3D match engine. Fifa etc doesnt put a lot of strain on PC's yet the graphics are way better. Still looks very 2004. If SI are worried about people with crap PC's, just give us plenty of options to choose graphic detail. I could hardly tell the difference between lo and high on FM11.

Right, everybody follow the following tips to maximise enjoyment:

1 - Delete FM12 from your computer.

2- Install Championship Manager 01/02.

3 - Sit back and enjoy the greatest game of all time (along with Gain Ground, Super Mario Kart (the original) and Donkey Kong Country).

That is all.

Rumble.

X

3 - Sit back and enjoy the greatest game of all time (along with Gain Ground, Super Mario Kart (the original) and Donkey Kong Country).

That is all.

Rumble.

X

WHAT?! No Super Mario 64?!!! Best game ever that is.

That is all.

Rumble.

X

FM12 isn't out yet so I can't delete it.

Seen that before, can't remember if I tried it but I'll give it a go :thumbup:

You might have to burn it to a disk but I followed the instructions and used that isoultra thing or whatever it's called and it worked eventually. If it works I want some freaky foot action.

You might have to burn it to a disk but I followed the instructions and used that isoultra thing or whatever it's called and it worked eventually. If it works I want some freaky foot action.

Awesome, yeah I have PowerIso so fingers crossed! You using Windows 7?

Ricey, any chance that the developers got to check out that 1998 German simulation game Anstoss! 2 Gold by Ascaron in order to improve the FM user surface?

Just like some people saying Championship Manager 01/02 was the sh"t, I think there's something to older games that you don't often find in new titles.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't get that same level and feel of addiction with FM the way I did when I played "Anstoss! 2".

I think ultimately, it's all down to a game that is made by people who really care about it and people who absolutely love football. It shows.

Biggest fun back in the days was changing all the names to their real selves, because the game had no official licenses.

Took me days just to get all the leagues, competitions, crests and team names sorted. But in the end, it was such a fantastic experience.

For instance, I loved being assigned to coach Manchester City (back then in the Division Two after consecutive relegations!), bringing them back to the Premier League.

Also, signing and releasing players, buidling your own team was so much fun.

At the end of each year, as well as at the end of each season, your players would either see an increase or decrease in their overall level. 1 for the lowest, 10 being a superstar (which was extremely rare to get).

This could range from -3 to +3 depending on how often you started a player (in his correct position), how old he was (youngsters developing faster and more often than oldies) and sometimes, you'd get a plus or minus point simply by accident.

In case of promotion, most players would see a decrease in level by 1, which I think is fair enough, so you can't just walk leagues.

In the opposite case, relegation meant you could start with a relatively strong, but expensive team and boss your way through (in most cases).

If you put a player in a different position and had him play a number of games (something between 20 and 30 if I'm not mistaken), he'd learn this new position.

You could assign players to learn new skils and some would take longer to master than others. Some players would start the game with a handicap (e.g. being really bad with one or two skills), but you could balance that out by also telling them to "learn" that particular skill.

You could try and bribe referees whistle.gif and dope your own players biggrin.gif for important matches against high-level opposition and only hope the respective football association wouldn't find out or else it meant "fine time" real quick.

The game was free of most clutter, almost bug-free, stripped down to its essentials, the football mascot as well as the 3D graphics may look a bit silly by today's standards, but that's besides the point.

Maybe shen has played the game at one point, too.

Ricey, any chance that the developers got to check out that 1998 German simulation game Anstoss! 2 Gold by Ascaron in order to improve the FM user surface?

Just like some people saying Championship Manager 01/02 was the sh"t, I think there's something to older games that you don't often find in new titles.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't get that same level and feel of addiction with FM the way I did when I played "Anstoss! 2".

I think ultimately, it's all down to a game that is made by people who really care about it and people who absolutely love football. It shows.

Biggest fun back in the days was changing all the names to their real selves, because the game had no official licenses.

Took me days just to get all the leagues, competitions, crests and team names sorted. But in the end, it was such a fantastic experience.

Also, signing and releasing players, buidling your own team was so much fun. At the end of each year your players would either see an increase or decrease in their overall level. 1 for the lowest, 10 being a superstar (which was extremely rare to get).

This could range from -3 to +3 depending on how often you started a player (in his correct position), how old he was (youngsters developing faster and more often than oldies) and sometimes, you'd get a plus or minus point simply by accident.

If you put a player in a different position and had him play a number of games (something between 20 and 30 if I'm not mistaken), he'd learn this new position.

You could assign players to learn new skils and some would take longer to master than others. Some players would start the game with a handicap (e.g. being really bad with one or two skills), but you could balance that out by also telling them to "learn" that particular skill.

You could try and bribe referees whistle.gif and dope your own players biggrin.gif for important matches against high-level opposition and only hope the respective football association wouldn't find out or else it meant "fine time" real quick.

The game was free of most clutter, almost bug-free, stripped down to its essentials, the football mascot as well as the 3D graphics may look a bit silly by today's standards, but that's besides the point.

Maybe shen has played the game at one point, too.

CM 01/02 was a great game, I'm sure was Anstoss! 2 also, however I think there is an element of nostalgia surrounding those games. I have a lot of fond memories for CM01/02, but that's partly down to the age I was when I played it.

FM is deeper, more complex and slower than it was a few years a go. Some people prefer that, some people wish it was the still the same depth as CM01/02. That's why Football Manager Handheld was created for iPhone and iPad, as it uses CM01/02 code as a basis for the game.

CM 01/02 was a great game, I'm sure was Anstoss! 2 also, however I think there is an element of nostalgia surrounding those games. I have a lot of fond memories for CM01/02, but that's partly down to the age I was when I played it.

FM is deeper, more complex and slower than it was a few years a go. Some people prefer that, some people wish it was the still the same depth as CM01/02. That's why Football Manager Handheld was created for iPhone and iPad, as it uses CM01/02 code as a basis for the game.

I'm not saying FM has got to become simpler (oh god, no!), but the term I'm looking for here is "accessibility". I know that you guys are trying hard to make it as realistic as possible, and that in all aspects.

It's more about the way when you play the game that you should be coming back as often as possible - in short, getting really addicted. And I don't have that feeling with FM, as much as I like it.

You could say it is because SI were trying out new stuff with the 3D match engine and the likes, pushing the game forward. I'd say in such "transitional" periods, the game as a whole just doesn't feel right.

The media interaction was also a bit tedious.

I mainly mention Anstoss! 2 Gold because I think SI could take some of the elements that made that game so great and implement it into their own.

I'm relying on you lol - Ascaron has ceased to exist, the Anstoss! series is no longer continued and both the Anstoss! 3 and Anstoss! 4 were real bad (in particular because of the amount of bugs in the final product).

I'd love to see more videos and/or graphical elements in terms of press conferences, pre-match analysis, the CL or Europa League draws or team talks in a different-looking window (say you have graphics with the coach, a player or two in front of the sponsors banner in the background for press conferences).

Nothing against the user interface, but I think the series could profit massively from a bit more change in between games, make it visually more attractive.

To me, it's still a lot about names and numbers and slightly bland in terms of presentation.

This means going in a bit of a TV-like environment - yeah, a bit more entertainment in order to spice things up (see the Madden NFL TV coverage or NBA 2K11's match intros/outrosph34r.gif).

Having said that, the 3D models in FM 2012 look vastly improved and I'm looking forward to playing the demo.

Just looking at the position ratings screenshot, I think it's odd that the FL and FR positions are not registered. You could play someone in that position in all the previous versions, but it's kind of been forgotten or ignored. I also believe that the different CR and CL positions could/should be different from just central positions. As I've played narrow formations for the last two or three versions, there's a noteable difference in how different MCs work the channels either side of the central position. This is even more pronounced with strikers as STCLs and STCRs often come in at an angle on the goal. The results I get are very consistent: A fine finisher can suffer badly in the channel positions if e.g. his dribbling and decision making stats are rather low. However, in the central position his scoring rate will usually dramatically improve. Another example from real life would be the example of the problems we've had with playing a right-footed player in the DCL position.

I guess I want even more tactical differentiation here :thumbup:

You're just older and growing up, Alex. Look at the 2583583 page FM 2011 full of 17 / 18 year old kids totally addicted to the game.

My love of FM is dying but it's not really any version's fault it's just I'm bored of the games, the same as I'm getting bored of the Total War series. You're not going to love everything for ever.

Having SI go out and copy features from some decades old series so a few people can feel nostalgic isn't progress. And I'd say FM 2011 was incredibly accessible, my dad picked the last few games up pretty well and he's a computer retard.

I don't know whether I'm getting bored of the games, but it is somewhat boring that the gameplay can be so repetitive at times.

My suggestions have little to do with being nostalgic, in fact I'm pretty much looking forward to future football managing games. I'm simply trying to extract what made a great game so great 13 years ago.

Nothing wrong with trying to improve the feel of a game.

The biggest challenge for SI is probably to keep the game as "simple" as it can be, given the fact that it's become much more complex, sophisticated and realistic over the years.

With all FM games I go through "phases" of being massively addicted (squeezing a game in while making breakfast for example) to being totally disinterested. Months go by with no desire to play and then suddenly I'm back into it. The problem really is I have much less time now and the knowledge that it consumes so much time to have a meaningful game - you're talking weeks to play a few seasons is a bit of a motivation killer. I've got FM handheld on the Ipad and that suits fine.

I fondly remember Anstoss (I think it was rebranded as something else in the UK) - the game where Simon Grayson went on to become England captain! I've played literally dozens of football manager games on the Spectrum, BBC Micro, Amiga etc - some good (Football Director on the BBC was ahead of it's time). I also remember a game called "Soccer Supremo" on the BBC/Electron from around 1986 which differred from everything before (or since) by not using numbers to rate players (at least not "obviously") and all the players had a brief written description in the manual such as "is a traditional centre forward, still a bit raw but shows great potential" - whilst not a very sophisticated game, it at least created the illusion that it was about something other than numbers.

The current FM game (PC version) is brilliant, but unfortunately I can't commit the time to it that I'd like.

@Ricey - is there a new version of FMhandheld in development/production as I think it could make much better use of the Ipad screen and it appears to me to have just been scaled up from the Iphone version?

The biggest challenge for SI is probably to keep the game as "simple" as it can be, given the fact that it's become much more complex, sophisticated and realistic over the years.

I think it needs to become more intuitive alright. Keep the stats for the stattos, but make stuff like training and player/staff attributes less about complex equations and more about a fundamental understanding of the sport. That would 'simplify' the game to a degree where it doesn't come down to routinely identify key attributes and fiddle with counter-intuitive mechanics.

I basically want the game to be harder for me without the AI having to "cheat."

I want larger elements of the game to be unpredictable, like real life is.

Because currently, I know that all I need to do to find a good striker is get someone with 16 finishing and composure and a bit of speed for as cheaply as possible. That's it. Helps to make sure he isn't injury prone or inconsistent first. But that's all, your scout will either say "has problems with inconsistency" or he won't, they're the only variables.

And I know from messing with the editor that it's actually on a scale of 1 to 20 but that doesn't feel represented in the game and even then, it's still just something that's down to one base number.

The whole game becomes stupidly easy if you understand the numbers. I consider myself "good" at FM, the fact that every year I end up having to explain the game to half the forum (along with Shen) sort of proves this. But it's not because I'm some sort of footballing genius or even that I'm great at computer games (I'm normally shit.) It's just because I took the time to work out the little things that go on in the background in FM.

And they never change, year in, year out. The game is literally fun for about the first four or three weeks; ie my first play through with Leicester. After that I've clocked who all the best, cheap youth products are, where all the bargains are out of contract and who all the -10s are going to be.

And I'm not just trying to be boastful, I'm simply saying - these are the things that SI need to work on for me to get any great love of the game back. And I'm sure I'm not alone, there's got to be millions of players like me who've been playing every version for years and have just... simply... got it clocked.

I'm not saying FM has got to become simpler (oh god, no!), but the term I'm looking for here is "accessibility". I know that you guys are trying hard to make it as realistic as possible, and that in all aspects.

It's more about the way when you play the game that you should be coming back as often as possible - in short, getting really addicted. And I don't have that feeling with FM, as much as I like it.

You could say it is because SI were trying out new stuff with the 3D match engine and the likes, pushing the game forward. I'd say in such "transitional" periods, the game as a whole just doesn't feel right.

The media interaction was also a bit tedious.

I mainly mention Anstoss! 2 Gold because I think SI could take some of the elements that made that game so great and implement it into their own.

I'm relying on you lol - Ascaron has ceased to exist, the Anstoss! series is no longer continued and both the Anstoss! 3 and Anstoss! 4 were real bad (in particular because of the amount of bugs in the final product).

I'd love to see more videos and/or graphical elements in terms of press conferences, pre-match analysis, the CL or Europa League draws or team talks in a different-looking window (say you have graphics with the coach, a player or two in front of the sponsors banner in the background for press conferences).

Nothing against the user interface, but I think the series could profit massively from a bit more change in between games, make it visually more attractive.

To me, it's still a lot about names and numbers and slightly bland in terms of presentation.

This means going in a bit of a TV-like environment - yeah, a bit more entertainment in order to spice things up (see the Madden NFL TV coverage or NBA 2K11's match intros/outrosph34r.gif).

Having said that, the 3D models in FM 2012 look vastly improved and I'm looking forward to playing the demo.

As an artist at SI, I totally agree with your views on the visuals. Whether or not we are planning to go that direction, I obviously can't say.

@Ricey - is there a new version of FMhandheld in development/production as I think it could make much better use of the Ipad screen and it appears to me to have just been scaled up from the Iphone version?

There is a new version in the works, can't say a lot about it but the UI on iPad won't be massively different. We can definitely make use of the iPad screen size more than we do but that's out of my hands unfortunately.

Archived