Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoeyB

Football manager 2012 -IPad

I've played this game since it's very early days back in the height of Amiga's dominance when it was called Championship manager, I am sure others here have also.

To me the best version was either 01/02 version or FM2005. The very latest ones are cluttered, badly programmed and haven't moved with the times at all. FIFA MANAGER got the visuals spot on but most other things wrong; maybe Sports Interactive or whoever it is nowadays could actually get their finger out of their arses and create a whole different game and not simply regurgitate the same rubbish with a few tweaks every year in a money spinning exercise.

I think it is quite difficult to expect massive changes when in theory they have less than a year to develop it. I know they won't do this but why not just skip a year and have a good period of development so they can significantly improve the game and make it very polished.

I've played this game since it's very early days back in the height of Amiga's dominance when it was called Championship manager, I am sure others here have also.

To me the best version was either 01/02 version or FM2005. The very latest ones are cluttered, badly programmed and haven't moved with the times at all. FIFA MANAGER got the visuals spot on but most other things wrong; maybe Sports Interactive or whoever it is nowadays could actually get their finger out of their arses and create a whole different game and not simply regurgitate the same rubbish with a few tweaks every year in a money spinning exercise.

So you don't think there were incremental improvements in previous versions? 01/02 was basically the same as 99/00 and 00/01 but with minor improvements. You could say that the current FM 2005 is still broadly the base of current version but with many extra layers and improvements. I don't think they're badly programmed or even that cluttered (although I agree it could be more stream-lined), but it has become a bit tired, like Finnegan also points out.

I think it is quite difficult to expect massive changes when in theory they have less than a year to develop it. I know they won't do this but why not just skip a year and have a good period of development so they can significantly improve the game and make it very polished.

Skipping a year wouldn't make a difference, we'd still end up with the same game at the end of it except without any income for 2 years.

Skipping a year wouldn't make a difference, we'd still end up with the same game at the end of it except without any income for 2 years.

I assumed that you could have two parallel projects, one developing a new and improved platform that can include features not implementable in the current platform (or in FM terms, improves SIgames' PA :P ), and another that incrementally improves the current version incrementally, as you've usually done.

I appreciate that there's such a great and wonderfully complex manager game out there, but following shen's and Finners' remarks I think there's much more potential in terms of presentation.

The user surface, as clean and nice as it is, could use a bit more variety - in particular in terms of videos and animated graphics (like the intros for major tournaments I've mentioned earlier).

It's all smooth and slick, but also a bit stale and repetitious/monotonous at the moment.

I appreciate that there's such a great and wonderfully complex manager game out there, but following shen's and Finners' remarks I think there's much more potential in terms of presentation.

The user surface, as clean and nice as it is, could use a bit more variety - in particular in terms of videos and animated graphics (like the intros for major tournaments I've mentioned earlier).

It's all smooth and slick, but also a bit stale and repetitious/monotonous at the moment.

Couldn't agree more.

DISCLAIMER: All views expressed are my own and not of Sports Interactive ;)

Why is it always out later than games, such as Fifa?

I'm bored at the minute on FM11 and 21st October seems ages away (hope thats the date for release - it says so on play.com).

I'd imagine because there's more detail in the databases - far more clubs, more players at every club so it would take longer to sort out any attribute changes and update transfers than with FIFA.

I'd imagine because there's more detail in the databases - far more clubs, more players at every club so it would take longer to sort out any attribute changes and update transfers than with FIFA.

Yes, thats true. At least we don't have to wait until like November 14th like one year, think it was last year.

e-mail says you need to install the game via steam this year.

That's a big no from me then.

You should probably read the email properly. It comes under a heading 'Steam Activation', which explains about activating on Steam. SI are partners with Steam so they are going to big up this method and encourage it. There will still be the offline method of having the disc in the drive all the time. It does not force you to use Steam, as that would be intrusive and limit their customer base, especially people who do not have an internet connection so need the disc in the drive all the time.

You should probably read the email properly. It comes under a heading 'Steam Activation', which explains about activating on Steam. SI are partners with Steam so they are going to big up this method and encourage it. There will still be the offline method of having the disc in the drive all the time. It does not force you to use Steam, as that would be intrusive and limit their customer base, especially people who do not have an internet connection so need the disc in the drive all the time.

I have read the e-mail properly and it says

To install FM12 you will need an internet connection which is necessary this year to install the game via the steam network

I'm fairly certain that wasn't mentioned last year, so by that logic, it's like '09 where you have to go via steam

I have read the e-mail properly and it says

I'm fairly certain that wasn't mentioned last year, so by that logic, it's like '09 where you have to go via steam

And if you don't want to install via the Steam network, then you don't need an internet connection. What's not to understand?

And if you don't want to install via the Steam network, then you don't need an internet connection. What's not to understand?

I think you're misunderstanding my point.

If it was just to install via Steam then it would tend to be written as "To install FM 12 via the Steam network you will need..." rather than "To install FM 12 you will need... install the game via the Steam network".

However the way it's worded it would read as you need an internet connection to install FM 12, i.e. you would have to install via Steam.

I think you're misunderstanding my point.

If it was just to install via Steam then it would tend to be written as "To install FM 12 via the Steam network you will need..." rather than "To install FM 12 you will need... install the game via the Steam network".

However the way it's worded it would read as you need an internet connection to install FM 12, i.e. you would have to install via Steam.

I've read up on the subject on SI and found this thread here. You're right, but IMO this is a bad move by SI.

Not going to own a physical copy of this at all if it's entirely on Steam.

Been using Steam since I got my new laptop and I've got absolutely no idea why people dislike it. Almost the entire world has the internet these days, now, surely?

It's quick, it's easy, it's accessible. Only problem I have with it is the constant temptation to easily buy new games!!

Not going to own a physical copy of this at all if it's entirely on Steam.

Been using Steam since I got my new laptop and I've got absolutely no idea why people dislike it. Almost the entire world has the internet these days, now, surely?

It's quick, it's easy, it's accessible. Only problem I have with it is the constant temptation to easily buy new games!!

The only beef that I have with it is that you have to enable offline mode before you go somewhere with no internet, meaning that if you aren't aware you have no internet or simply forget, it means you can't play the game.

It even asks you if you want to enable offline mode when you have no internet connection but says "you must have connection to the internet to play in offline mode" when you press the offline mode button.

Archived