Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
acooling08

Scottish Independence Poll

Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Scotland to leave the UK?

• Yes - I want Scotland to leave the UK.
    • No - I want Scotland to stay in the UK.
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care.

Will I have to get a passport just to go to Scotland? mine needs needs renewing.

Why would you possibly want to go there?

Heard one being interviewed,she said she was voting yes because she was sick of the English going there and taking all their jobs!!

I imagine there are more live here now than up there! (taking all our jobs)

Heard one being interviewed,she said she was voting yes because she was sick of the English going there and taking all their jobs!!

I quite enjoyed the break I had on Bute although it wasn't the mainland. The unemployed there have to go over on the ferry to Glasgow to sign on. Not that many though.

[quote name="The Railway Man" post="3136451" timestamp="1410299829

The markets won't go into a tailspin over it, it might be bad for a few days or weeks but it will soon recover, I'm no economic wizz but I've already seen enough over the last 10-15 years to see that happen again and again. The economic benefits would far outweigh the negatives in the long term given the Scots we've had to endure destroying our own economy over the recent past.

Well that's reassuring. However, I just wish the UK government had issued a white paper describing to the population what their financial model might look like. I prefer due diligence to a roll of the dice. Call me old fashioned!

The person asserting this was correct. English are about10% of the population up here. We are by a street their biggest 'ethnic minority'.

There are parts of the Nortern remote bits where you are more likely to hear an English accent than a Scottish one.

It comes from people selling a shed in Kent and buying a large estate up here.

We ARE taking 'their' jobs. On a massive scale we are heavily represented in local government, the arts, management etc.

Far more than the couple of percent of Jocks in England.

Interesting to look at the polls from the 1995 Quebec independence referendum (scroll to Opinion Polling section): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_referendum,_1995

There was a solid lead for "No" until the last couple of weeks, when "Yes" surged ahead by up to 6 points....yet "No" ended up winning by about 1%. I wonder if the same is happening / will happen in Scotland?

Maybe a significant number saying they will vote "Yes" will change their minds when the ballot paper is in front of them.....or maybe not....

A friend had a croft in the Shetlands. He loved it. Used to go out shooting rabbits, bred chickens and dogs and hd a few sheep. Came to an end when a sheep kicked him when being loaded on a truck to go to the market. The local policeman also doubled up as a mechanic and the police joined the locals in the pub 'lock in'

He never had a driving licence  but still drove. What a life.

The person asserting this was correct. English are about10% of the population up here. We are by a street their biggest 'ethnic minority'.

There are parts of the Nortern remote bits where you are more likely to hear an English accent than a Scottish one.

It comes from people selling a shed in Kent and buying a large estate up here.

We ARE taking 'their' jobs. On a massive scale we are heavily represented in local government, the arts, management etc.

Far more than the couple of percent of Jocks in England.

And the amount of Sots living and working in England is immeasurable . Corby  anyone ? I'm sure the amount of jobs taken by Scots living and working here is massive compared to the other way round. The ARE taking our jobs and have been since the union was formed. How many percent of Scottish per head live in England , far more than a couple of percent that you just made up and a  damn site more than in Scotland. The Scots influence in England is massive From MP's to every corner of the arts , management etc , again much more than the other way round. But I welcome that diversity it makes for a richer world for all of us . The yes vote is built on nothing more than hatred for all thing English is it any wonder that the English are now feeling the same towards the Scots ? That man Salmon has a lot to answer for.

And the amount of Sots living and working in England is immeasurable . Corby  anyone ? I'm sure the amount of jobs taken by Scots living and working here is massive compared to the other way round. The ARE taking our jobs and have been since the union was formed. How many percent of Scottish per head live in England , far more than a couple of percent that you just made up and a  damn site more than in Scotland. The Scots influence in England is massive From MP's to every corner of the arts , management etc , again much more than the other way round. But I welcome that diversity it makes for a richer world for all of us . The yes vote is built on nothing more than hatred for all thing English is it any wonder that the English are now feeling the same towards the Scots ? That man Salmon has a lot to answer for.

Not a surprise to find you complaining even about Brits taking British jobs!!

You can see the mistakes the 'Better together' campaign are making just watching these speeches live on television.

The 'YES' signs are blue and white, with a Scottish flag and seem to convey a new message of hope for change, very Obama-ish in the rhetoric as well.

The 'NO' ones are red and yellow, with #scottishlabour splashed across it in wording almost as big as the 'NO'. Prescott has also just stood on a platform and not even mentioned the Union, just used it to moan about Cameron and then even made a comment that if the Union's football teams joined together we could probably beat Germany :mellow:. No one cheered and even the supporters looked a bit embarrassed. I don't think some of these lot realise what this is actually about.

Sky apparantly has a lost of 50 Labour and Tory MP's who will all call on Cameron and Miliband to resign if they vote 'Yes' as well.

I love the fact that Ken is turning this into an 'Anecdotes About Holidays In Scotland' thread lol

I missed that, a quite brilliant Kentribution...... lol

I quite enjoyed the break I had on Bute although it wasn't the mainland. The unemployed there have to go over on the ferry to Glasgow to sign on. Not that many though.

A friend had a croft in the Shetlands. He loved it. Used to go out shooting rabbits, bred chickens and dogs and hd a few sheep. Came to an end when a sheep kicked him when being loaded on a truck to go to the market. The local policeman also doubled up as a mechanic and the police joined the locals in the pub 'lock in'

He never had a driving licence  but still drove. What a life.

We've got 'the friend who had' and a story about the unemployed having to sign on, brilliant stuff.

but the English — who subsidise Scotland to the tune of £17.6 billion a year according to the most recent Treasury figures.

Why people still don't keep mentioning this I have no idea, if they are THAT rich as Salmond claims they are why are we paying this to them? Salmond is still promising a free NHS, university education, prescriptions, schooling, childcare, travel - it's so ridiculous it's baffling anyone can believe it.

Just think what England could put 17.6billion towards if they go?

Why people still don't keep mentioning this I have no idea, if they are THAT rich as Salmond claims they are why are we paying this to them? Salmond is still promising a free NHS, university education, prescriptions, schooling, childcare, travel - it's so ridiculous it's baffling anyone can believe it.

What they could put it to, or what they would? Because we all know it'll be wasted on some pointless restructuring of a public service that will save no money, not make any difference to the public and will be completely forgotten about 18 months later. Just like lansleycare.

If they vote for Independence, in 20 years "England" will be in an immeasurably better place. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c43c9a14-3846-11e4-9fc2-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3CuSNYXRN.

RBS and Lloyds are both moving their bases South to England because of the looming "Yes" vote mainly due to being owned by British Taxpayers and other companies are moving their money out of Scotland. The immediate future looks very bleak for Scotland, if they can survive the first 5 years then they could prosper in the future but convincing the financial industry to back them will be hard as the industry is notorious for avoiding uncertainty. 

Probably just get pumped back in to the defence budget.

Probably just get pumped back in to the defence budget.

Possibly, given we're probably going to have hundreds of ex ISIS fighters roaming the streets of Britain it might be needed.

Or we could just use it to attack Scotland as soon as they lay down their arms, I'd be up for that.

If the vote for scotland to leave the union was put to the English and Welsh people, i wonder what the result would be. Still at least after the no vote wins, the rest of us will know that 40% of scottish people are not with the rest of us.

This is the problem that faces us if they vote against Independence. Nearly 50% of Scotland want to be cut off from the rest of the UK, you only have to look at some of the open air debates in streets up and down Scotland to see the hate being spouted for "those English". The Queen can huff and puff all she wants about her Union but it's obvious that Scotland is torn down the middle in a similar way to NI just luckily without the violence. What happens if the Yes vote wins and they then vote on whether to keep the Monarchy? Does she decide to invade? Go without a fight? This is a massive milestone in history coming up.

Let's be honest a 49-51% vote to the No side is just going to result in another referendum in 3-4 years time, unless it's a convincing No vote we are probably just delaying the inevitable.

Good read from John Major today on how no one should weep for Labout given it's their rhetoric that has massively helped ramp up nationalism on the north side of the border, I was going to link the original interview in the Times but you have to be a subscriber to read it. So the Mail will have to do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2750517/No-one-weep-Labour-Scotland-votes-independence-Former-PM-John-Major-says-divisive-attacks-Tories-fuelled-nationalist-campaign.html

Archived