Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
oxford blue

Yakubu - to China

Fron Guardian:

Yakubu Ayegbeni has ended his nine-year stay in English football to sign for the Chinese club Guangzhou on a three-year contract.

The Nigeria international was entitled to leave Blackburn Rovers for a fee of around £1m following the club's relegation from the Premier League and activated the clause to become the latest big-name striker to accept a lucrative deal in China. Yakubu was a rare success story under the Blackburn manager, Steve Kean, scoring a total of 18 goals in his one season with Rovers following a £1.5m transfer from Everton. He may soon be followed out of Ewood Park by the former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson, who is in talks over a move to the Turkish club Besiktas.

Yakubu, 29, enjoyed a prolific career in England with Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Everton, Leicester City and finally Blackburn. The striker had several offers to remain in the Premier League but claims a new challenge in China, and not the substantial wages on offer, was behind his move to Guangzhou.

"It's a new adventure for me after playing in Israel and England," he said. "There were many clubs interested according to the media, but the only people who made direct contact have been Guangzhou R&F. Many will ask why China? The truth is there is not much to prove after scoring almost a century of goals in a league considered as one of the best in the world.

"Money cannot buy you happiness and what I have found from the people in China is love, happiness, sincerity and warmth. I can't wait to get started here. They are starting an unbelievable football programme here and it's nice to be a part of it."

A more honest answer to his question "Many will ask why China?" would be just one word - Money

Says more about him than that kind of farce league, I seriously have absolutely no respect for any player who joins those embarrassing leagues, absolutely nothing but a payday.

To have it at 29 is a sheer embarrassment.

China seems to be the latest of the desperate Asian leagues. There was Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia and now them, that are trying to snatch past-their-best players and pay them a ridiculous amount of money. It started out with Derek Riordan and Marlon Warehood and now they've moved on to Drogba, Anelka and Yak so they are making progress. It's always disappointing to see a player who still has a lot to offer, play in a league of such poor standard.

Fron Guardian:

Yakubu Ayegbeni has ended his nine-year stay in English football to sign for the Chinese club Guangzhou on a three-year contract.

The Nigeria international was entitled to leave Blackburn Rovers for a fee of around £1m following the club's relegation from the Premier League and activated the clause to become the latest big-name striker to accept a lucrative deal in China. Yakubu was a rare success story under the Blackburn manager, Steve Kean, scoring a total of 18 goals in his one season with Rovers following a £1.5m transfer from Everton. He may soon be followed out of Ewood Park by the former England goalkeeper Paul Robinson, who is in talks over a move to the Turkish club Besiktas.

Yakubu, 29, enjoyed a prolific career in England with Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Everton, Leicester City and finally Blackburn. The striker had several offers to remain in the Premier League but claims a new challenge in China, and not the substantial wages on offer, ££££££ was behind his move to Guangzhou.

"It's a new adventure for me after playing in Israel and England," he said. "There were many clubs interested according to the media, but the only people who made direct contact have been Guangzhou R&F. Many will ask why China? The truth is there is not much to prove after scoring almost a century of goals in a league considered as one of the best in the world. ££££££

"Money cannot buy you happiness and what I have found from the people in China is love, happiness, sincerity and warmth. I can't wait to get started here. They are starting an unbelievable football programme here and it's nice to be a part of it."

That's more like it - no shame in moving for a pay-packet in my opinion, but at least don't give out the bullshit...

Massive lol at anyone that gets jelous of footballers who move for more money. Especially when there's a good chance they had a third world upbringing. God forbid any of you ever get promoted.

Says more about him than that kind of farce league, I seriously have absolutely no respect for any player who joins those embarrassing leagues, absolutely nothing but a payday.

If of course he is actually 29 .......

I find it strange that there was so much speculation regarding his reluctance to drop down to the Championship whilst he was on loan to us and then he goes to one of the weakest leagues in the world. I understand that it's purely for the money but it makes him look like a plonker.

For a million pounds though they have got a great player, I can't help think that if we were happy to pay 3 million for Mills then we could have at least spent a million on Yakubu and then seen his high weekly wage as ok due to his relatively small transfer fee.

Spot on Dan...

It's of no surprise to me that the Yak has gone where the big money is.

And at 29!

Oh well....

sour grapes by any chance ?

Not for me no

I think a top professional footballer is in a very priveliged position. Yakubu doesn't need to go to China for money. His transfer fees and earnings since he started out mean he probably lives very comfortably and will never have to work again, if he doesn't wish to.

How about this for an idea then?

Stay at Blackburn, continue to earn very handsomely, continue to be one of the fans favourite and maybe, just maybe, help the team to get promotion and enjoy the excitement that having a promotion season could bring?

And continue to play challenging football which may lead to your club getting back into the best division in the world...

No?

Ok then, go to China, get a bit fatter and essentially give up your footballing career...

At least you'll be getting a lot more grand every week. Which you don't really need.. Do you?

Not sour grapes, the Yak, I'm afraid, epitomises greed over ambition. Then again, as I said before, I'm not surprised.

Now Didier Drogba going to China... That, I get. He's what 32/33, he's just helped the club who has paid him handsomely, to win the Champs league and he's won it all in the Prem.

Yakubu? No... It's just for money.

He's only a couple of years younger than Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Weller were when they moved to the NASL, what a bunch of cvnts.

Again, Beckenbauer and Cruyff had pretty much set the world alight when in Europe.. Maybe not Weller lol

Greed over ambition my friend....

Again, Beckenbauer and Cruyff had pretty much set the world alight when in Europe.. Maybe not Weller lol

Greed over ambition my friend....

If I'd scored over 100 goals in one of the best leagues in the World, I'd be inclined to look for a fresh challenge too. If that happened to come with a lucrative wage and the opportunity to trail blaze in a new territory, so be it. That's also based on the proviso that he is actually 29, he may know more about his longevity than we do.

It's for cash at the end of the day, but then again, if somebody offered you the same job but for way more money, are you going to reject it? I'm afraid, apart from several players (Gerrard for example), loyalty doesn't exist anymore.

Yakubu can still cut it at Premier League level, as proved last year, in a poor team.

Archived